main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to do about Bullies?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jedi_Xen, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    No what seems to be happening is that some of you seem to think that bullies start off be beating on people. That's never how it happens. But if it does. That means that you did not have something done about it as soon as it started to happen.

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    No what seems to be happening is that some of you seem to think that bullies start off be beating on people. That's never how it happens. But if it does. That means that you did not have something done about it as soon as it started to happen.

No, most bullies don't start off by beating up on people, but in many of the cases of bullying, name-calling etc will soon lead to physical attacks. The bullies themselves will decide their methods. If verbal torments are not getting through to their targets, they will resort to violence to instill more fear in their victims.

This is why I advocate self-defence classes. A bully who starts off with verbal attacks and is getting nowhere will try to get through to you by violence. Imagine the bully's surprise when his victim reacts and hurts him. He's not going to mess with that target again now is he?

3. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    most bullies don't start off by beating up on people, but in many of the cases of bullying, name-calling etc will soon lead to physical attacks

Then go to someone and let them know what is going on. I mean so what a bullie is calling you a name big deal. Go to someone in chagre and let them know. When you don't do any thing to being with well yeah teachers can't help. Because they don't know what is wrong because you waited way to long.

4. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    anidamani: Well, teachers usually don't give strict enough punishments. I once reported a bully to a teacher, she warned him, he came back and punched me in the face. Then what?

When things like that happen, of course students are going to be reluctant to report a bully to the teacher. The teacher isn't doing them any good, and, if any thing, is making things worse by making the bully retaliate.

-Aunecah

5. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I mean so what a bullie is calling you a name big deal

Did you read my post?? I specifically said that by ignoring the name-calling (yes, I think name-calling is stupid and childish but they can be hurtful to the less emotionally stable) the victim will be targeted with a physical attack because the bully is being ignored and they're trying to get through to their victim.

I once reported a bully to a teacher, she warned him, he came back and punched me in the face. Then what?

Aunecah: He hit you?? And you're female?? That is the most cowardly act of bullying I can think of. I hope he was dealt with by someone who knows what they were doing (namely not a teacher).

6. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    "Anidiami lives in cloud coo coo land! To be honest, I have never seen such crap as Anidiami's comments."

That is not acceptable behaviour. Please disagree and respond to other users with more respect.

7. Wonka

Wonka Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2004
    Bullies are tough! Anything but cowards! Ok Ok Ok, I am indeed a bully!!!!!!!!! he he!! I am going to beat up 3 kids tomorrow when I get into school...

8. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Bullies are tough! Anything but cowards! Ok Ok Ok, I am indeed a bully!!!!!!!!! he he!! I am going to beat up 3 kids tomorrow when I get into school...

I fail to see how that contributes to the discussion.

9. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    Anidanami, self-defense classes are not "pointless". They help us to avoid becoming victims.

Also, you think tormented students fighting with bullies is wrong, yet you support the idea of teachers beating the crap out of bullies!?

I smell a hypocrite. [face_plain}

10. Wonka

Wonka Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2004
    There is no way to deal with us bullies. We are bullies because we are tough and the only way to deal with us is leave the school or put up with the beatings. We shall not, we shall not be moved and we will never bow down to teachers or anyone else because we are not cowards.

11. Darth_Jeremy

Jun 6, 2002
    That's funny, Wonka. :p

12. Not George Lucas

Not George Lucas Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 20, 1998
    Bullies are just a myth propogated by the liberal elite.

13. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    There is no way to deal with us bullies. We are bullies because we are tough and the only way to deal with us is leave the school or put up with the beatings. We shall not, we shall not be moved and we will never bow down to teachers or anyone else because we are not cowards.

I've never met a single bully that won't back down when faced with someone who will stand up to him.

14. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Which is why every student should be required to learn at least one hand-to-hand discipline, so it will be much more difficult for bullies to pick out weaklings.

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    That is exactly the point I've been trying to make, but anidami is more interested in promoting Gandhi-style submission and then demeaning yourself even more by reporting it to an adult who will not do a single thing about it except make it worse.

16. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    "Just give the bully what they want..."

Replace the word 'bully' with 'rapist'...sound good to you?

17. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    "Just give the bully what they want..."

Who said that?

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wish that I was still in school, so I could make extra lunch money off of the weak and pathetic...

I'd go to jail if I beat up a kid, now... :(

19. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    demeaning yourself even more by reporting it to an adult who will not do a single thing about it except make it worse.

That is not ture at all.

20. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    demeaning yourself even more by reporting it to an adult who will not do a single thing about it except make it worse.

That is not ture at all.

Well it was for me, and I will bet the majority of people seriously picked on here.

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    That is not true at all.

Oh really? There are a legion of posts here from people specifically saying that telling on the bullies simply makes it worse because teachers do sweet FA about it.

22. Darth_Jeremy

Jun 6, 2002
    "That is not true at all."

Yes, it is. [face_plain] And you're not going to convince me otherwise.

Don't you ever get tired of playing Ghandi? [face_plain]

23. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Don't you ever get tired of playing Ghandi?

Are you going to ever stop insulting me?

You did read what Red-Seven posted right?

24. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    I do not mean this as an insult or teasing, but you could just ignore him.

25. Darth_Jeremy

Jun 6, 2002
    I'm very sorry for that Ghandi comment, anidanami. I'm just a little annoyed that you won't at least take into consideration what I have to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.