main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to do about Bullies?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jedi_Xen, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonka

Wonka Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2004
    Anidiami is right, there is no need to insult her. As Anidiami's opinion is so unrealistic however, I can't believe you are all worked up over it. If she can't see the obvious there is no point in trying to convince her.

2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    demeaning yourself even more by reporting it to an adult who will not do a single thing about it except make it worse.

That is not ture at all.

I've been picked upon, told the teacher, who warned the bully, who came back and hit me (pay attention to what I post please, I don't feel like repeating myself). When things like that happen, would you really go tell teachers about bullies again? Would any other victims go tell teachers?

-Aunecah

3. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    When things like that happen, would you really go tell teachers about bullies again?

That's like saying you will never go get a cop for anything. You will just take the law into your own hands.

Would any other victims go tell teachers?

Yes because they are there to help you.

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    When things like that happen, would you really go tell teachers about bullies again?

That's like saying you will never go get a cop for anything. You will just take the law into your own hands.

Just last July I got sucker punched outside a house party by some drunken guy. He gave me two black eyes and did my ankle in. I went for the police. Nothing.

So what happened?

I "took the law into my own hands" as you said, found the guy, and gave him the beating of his life. He's not going to screw with me again now is he?

5. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    anidanami124

I feel you are not being honest to what we are saying. First off, there are many diffrences between a serious bully at school, and a guy calling you a name at work, or a criminal trying to do something to you.

If a guy simply calls you a name at work, you can ask them not to do it, and it will be ok. Just like at school, some people just thought it would be funny to say something stupid and after telling them that it was stupid, they would stop.

Then there are the people we refer to as bullies. These are the people who continuously tease, harass, make fun of, even beat up others. If someone did that at a job, you could tell the boss and the person would be reprimanded or fired, and that would successfully solve the problem.

At school though, they can reprimand the bully all they want, most of them do not care. Suspension is just a good way to get out of class, detention is annoying, but another reason to beat the person who rated them out. It would do not good to kick them out of school, it would just make the bully even worse of one.

As for the criminal doing something? I am guessing we are assuming that they are trying to rape or murder or steal something. Should you do nothing until the cops get there? Self defense is very legal despite what some people feel. Also, the cops can do something effective, like shoot the criminal, or arrest him. The teacher cannot do anything effective (or never did in my and many other cases).

My point is that making comparisons of bullies to criminals or idiots at work is false and dishonest to what we are really saying. The analogies do not fit because the authority structures are very different.

And what I said was not a joke or insult, but what I feel you should be doing by your logic, ignore Jeremy's comments.

6. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002

No it's not. Like Enforcer said already, cops are very different than teachers. For one thing, cops by their very definition are there to catch criminals, do justice, whatever. Teachers' main role is education; neither is it their duty nor should it be to act as police. Secondly, if a person got raped, told the cops, they did nothing, and the person got raped again, I don't think she'd be very inclined to go tell the cops about it.

Besides, in real world, if somebody's assaulting you, you're welcome to use any and all* necessary means to defend yourself. You're telling me that I can't defend myself against a bully, I should get a black eye, and maybe a broken jaw, and then go report him to the teacher when he's done.

(*Or it could be proportionate means for defense - don't know)

-Aunecah

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Besides, in real world, if somebody's assaulting you, you're welcome to use any and all* necessary means to defend yourself. You're telling me that I can't defend myself against a bully, I should get a black eye, and maybe a broken jaw, and then go report him to the teacher when he's done.

(*Or it could be proportionate means for defense - don't know)

Aunecah, I would say any means short of stabbing him would be an appropriate means of defence.

8. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    I "took the law into my own hands" as you said, found the guy, and gave him the beating of his life. He's not going to screw with me again now is he?

That was not a smart movie on your part. You can't take the law into your own hands. You can't just go around beating on someone who wronged you.

You can think that people who fallow the laws are aer weak. But I fallow the laws because they are the laws. The keep contorl in a world that is out of contorl. When you come up to a stop sgin you stop because it is the law.

Rules and laws are there to keep contorl and keep people safe.

You said: Just last July I got sucker punched outside a house party by some drunken guy.

Well let me just tell a little story:

I a week ago watched are a Ep of The Real World. In it someone was mocking of the cast members. The cast member went and hit the person. The person then went made up some lies. The cast memeber was put in jail for something other then what she did.

All she had to do was walk away. Hitting the person was not the right thing to do. It was the wrong thing to do. You going after that guy and beating him was the wrong thing to do. You are lucky he did not go to the cops.

When you are in a school setting. You can't fight. I don't care if you are pushed into a locker. You can't fight that is not what schools are for. Schools are not places for fighting. You can't just going around beating on people who wronged you.

I don't see why it's so hard for some of you to just fallow what the laws and rules are. When it says no fighting in school. It means no fighting in school.

Here's the whole problem. You see we live in a time where when fights happen in school. Something happens such as LAW SUITS. That means the school is sued for letting to people fight each other. Then the person you hurt well defending yourself may very well tell there mom and dad. Then you find yourself with a law suit. How about you just don't fight in school.

9. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    You are lucky he did not go to the cops.

What was he gonna say?

"Hi there, I beat some guy up a few weeks back, he came here, you did nothing so he beat the crap out of me?"

If they didn't do anything for me why would they do anything for him?

10. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    That was not a smart movie on your part. You can't take the law into your own hands. You can't just go around beating on someone who wronged you.

You can think that people who fallow the laws are aer weak. But I fallow the laws because they are the laws. The keep contorl in a world that is out of contorl. When you come up to a stop sgin you stop because it is the law.

Now where is this coming from? Defending yourself is not against the crime. If anybody is breaking the law, it's the bullies. If somebody puts a knife to my throat and I use my super-ninja powers to slice the criminal's throat with his own knife, you can bet that the cops aren't going to put me in jail for that. Or what if a person is trying to rape me and I shoot him in the head? Yep, that's okay, too.

Obviously with bullies we aren't going to be murdering them, but if they've continually harassed you, you told the teachers and it didn't work, and he corners you in an alley to give you another beating, then there's NOTHING wrong with fighting back.

-Aunecah

11. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    What was he gonna say?

"Hi there, I beat some guy up a few weeks back, he came here, you did nothing so he beat the crap out of me?"

If they didn't do anything for me why would they do anything for him?

You went out after going to the cops to find and beat the guy.

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    *shrug*

He learned his lesson.

13. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Forget it. I know why I stayed out of here for so long.

14. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    No please stay. Otherwise we'd all be in agreement.

15. Dark Jedi Tam

Dark Jedi Tam Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2000
    When you are in a school setting. You can't fight. I don't care if you are pushed into a locker. You can't fight that is not what schools are for. Schools are not places for fighting.

Maybe you?d like to tell that to the bullies and see their reaction. They?d laugh till they were blue in the face.

You see we live in a time where when fights happen in school.

Has it ever occurred to you that fights have been going on for many years? Probably since the day schools were created. This is not a unique problem that surfaced a few years ago. Kids will bully each other over anything. What you wear (whether it be patchy breeches in days of yore or the unhip jeans of today), what color your eyes/ hair is, if you have an accent, how you walk, what hobbies you like, if you like the most popular music or not, and on and on and on?

16. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Stand up for myself.

17. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    anidanami, please explain why you think fighting is wrong, period. Also, tell me if you make any exceptions to the rule (ex. "It's okay for a woman to fight back if a man is trying to rape her...").

-Aunecah

18. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    You can't rely on cops anymore. They're not as effective as they once were. If they were, there wouldn't be as much crime as there is. These days, you have to take the law into your own hands.

19. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    But there's a difference between taking the law into your own hands and doing what law permits you to. Self-defense is permissible by law, therefore when you are defending yourself, you aren't "taking law into your hands" any more than you would be talking law into your hands by buying a gun.

-Aunecah

20. Darth_Jeremy

Jun 6, 2002
    You make a good point.

21. Darth_Jeremy

Jun 6, 2002
    Well, this is going nowhere. [face_plain]

22. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    We need someone to disagree with us. What's the point in a debate if we're all in agreement.

23. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    OK...what do you think of Fight Clubs in schools?

24. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    Do not talk about fight club.

I stood up for myself nonviolently. If I attacked them, they would of had support from their goons. Another thing I learned is you don't want them making up stuff about you without you being aware.

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    OK...what do you think of Fight Clubs in schools?

It is the worst idea I've heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.