main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to do about Bullies?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jedi_Xen, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Admiral Thran

Grand Admiral Thran Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 1999
    Er, yes, that's probably a no (for that particular activity, at least) .

Bah! There's hot girls in Phoenix and dancing! It'd be lots of fun :p..and there's GIRLS!

Did...I mention girls? :D

I'm sure this relates to bullying in some fashion. I do submit that quiet/shy types are more likely to be bullied, and it can have as much to do with appearances and personality as anything else.

Yes it can, and teaching introverts how to once in a while be a little bit loud when it comes to such situations is a good thing. I bet a bully would be REAL surprised when some quiet, meager lad suddenly turns around, whacks him hard, and goes "You touch me again, I'll break your arm off and beat you with it."

---

Youre comparing apples to potatoes GAT You are in left field shooting basketball during a football game. I am beginning to think you are ignoring posts so you can continue to put up poor arguments to sympathize with the bully and blame the victim.

Did I sympathize with the bully once? No, I blamed people for not preparing their children or teaching them how to deal with bullies. You can't stem off bullies entirely, but you can prevent them from bullying. Weakness invites trouble. It's something even applied in governments at the highest level. Learn it now.

We cant all live in the same neighborhood as the Brady Bunch, can we?

I think most places are like this. Again, I believe the 'bully problem' to be highly overrated and publicised.

Have you ever thought some people dont know how to act? They are told you cant fight back? Did you know that by fighting back a kid who is bullied can end up in more trouble than the actual bully? Its true. I fought back in Jr High and had to spend two weeks with the principal eating my lunch, the bully, the guy who started the fight got a referral and that was it.

Did you have your parents come in, telling them what occured? Did you defend yourself only? Or did you start something more? The reason you wouldn't know how to stand up and defend yourself, is because no one that was responsible for it, taught you - Your parents and teachers.

There is a complete difference. If you are willing to get your head out of the sand for just a little bit, you will see what all of us are trying to say. Now Im not trying to flame you, but you seem to disregard what people are saying and continue on this everybody should act the same theory.

A) There isn't a complete difference. It's showing you how people can submit to other's will or avoid situations.

B) You've been condesending to me this entire way, but I don't care if you're trying to flame me or not, I'm not one to be easily offended, so no worries.

B) I'm not disregarding anything, I'm returning my view on things and it isn't a theory. How you react to situations has a significant amount to do with how things go.

The kid who is bullied more than less has absolutly no choice but to be there. Its not like he can transfer schools at will, or choose where to be. Heres a news flash for you, bullies will follow their victim, its kind of hard for the victim to get away when they go to school together.

So, that poor child, is just at the mercy of a bully who is A) bigger than them, B) smarter than them, C) superior on the social ladder with them, even with adults, and D) persecuted by all because they do absolutely NOTHING to assist.

Wow, these are some super-bullies about ;)

....I think not. Something was mishandled in the situation, either by the 'victim' or the authorities.

So you think we should force kids to be something theyre not. Make every body uniform? Why? I thought we lived in an age of individuality, where people should accept other people for who they are.

There's a difference between being tolerant and accepting everything under the sun. By your thinking, even children who burn satanic symbols into their flesh at school should be left alone to their own devices because they're perfectally 'fine'.

I said

2. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    Those who have no friends, or maybe just one. Those who aren't involved in ANY clubs or activities at ALL. Who lock themselves up in their room at all times, who sit in the very back of class always to avoid being noticed at all, ect.

I had accquaintances, but no friends. It was commonly understood in high school (as well as now), that I had nothing in common with the people around me. I've never had much in common with anyone (a list of my interests would quickly illustrate this)...how exactly was I supposed to go out and do stuff during high school when I wasn't getting invited anywhere? And no one ever extended an invitation, because the unpopular kids never get asked anywhere, because they are unpopular.

Yes, but those are rare and far and few inbetween. Most of the time, the 'victims' don't tell their parents or adult figures. It then does become their fault for not following through with their social contract obligation

I'm one of those rare ones...the admins blamed me for what happened to me, my parents didn't want to get involved (my mother even told me that I was old enough to seek my own legal counsel...at twelve years old). Most of the teachers could have cared less. So, I was by myself...just like when I was being abused by two boyfriends.

What kind of ready-made answer can be provided in that case?

Well, if you were with me, you wouldn't shut down

Frankly, it would take a lot to get you to open me up, because we would have little to talk about (and would you really want to be seen in public with the drag queen? I doubt it).

3. Grand Admiral Thran

Jul 22, 1999
    how exactly was I supposed to go out and do stuff during high school when I wasn't getting invited anywhere? And no one ever extended an invitation, because the unpopular kids never get asked anywhere, because they are unpopular.

Broaden your horizons and try new things is my advice. Form your own popular club with those who share interests.

I'm one of those rare ones...the admins blamed me for what happened to me, my parents didn't want to get involved (my mother even told me that I was old enough to seek my own legal counsel...at twelve years old). Most of the teachers could have cared less. So, I was by myself...just like when I was being abused by two boyfriends.

Poor admins and poor parenting, sorry to say it, but no one is old enough to seek counsel, because often times, those that need it the most, don't know they do or how to get it.

What kind of ready-made answer can be provided in that case?

I'm not a fortune cookie, you know.

Frankly, it would take a lot to get you to open me up, because we would have little to talk about (and would you really want to be seen in public with the drag queen? I doubt it).

I hang with lots of people, from the 'jock' type to the epitome of the nerd stereotype. *shrug* If people say anything they get me with my foot down their throat and find themselves sorry they ever opened their mouth. No one really ever questions me or who I hang with -- at least not to my face.

I've hung with transexuals, homosexuals (the really flamboyant type I mean), classic nerds, ect. all sorts of 'unpopular' people. Why would you be any different? My image is my own and what I project to others, I don't let anyone else define it for me.

Someone doesn't like me for who I am or what I do? Good for them. They aren't worth my time then and aren't worthy enough to be graced with my attention at noticing them.

You'd be surprised at what you can relate to me, I doubt there's a single person on this entire board that couldn't relate to me in at least one, meaningful way.

-GAT

4. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    One thing I've realised from reading this thread is the hypocrisy being thrown around by a couple of people.

To a certain extent, I was a victim of bullying at school. Nowhere near as nasty as what Derth Nader went through or Jedi_Xen, but I was inflicted with violence for no reason what so ever on a great deal of occasions. The one time I fought back, I was essentially suspended from class for three weeks, even though a dozen fellow students told those in power exactly what happened.

In my case, my only crime to deserve the bullying was that I wore glasses, and preferred to read a book than play rugby. If I showed you a photo of myself without telling you I was the victim, you might suspect I was the bully. I was physically taller and stronger than most of my classmates, though not strong enough to beat off 6 punks at once.

Two incidents stand out for me - both from high school and both perpetrated by different people. Each time I went out of my way to avoid dealing with those individuals, because I knew of their reputations beforehand, yet they still managed to cause harm to me. One of them walked up to me in the middle of class and sucker punched me in the back. I ended up in hospital having the back of my head stitched up because the blow knocked me from the stool I was sitting on and the fall split my skull. When I got back to school, I was hauled before the deputy principal and interrogated as to what I had done to provoke the bully. I responded that I barely knew the kid, and only shared one class with him - the class he assaulted me in. In that instance, the only thing that saved me from suspension was that I had lost a week of school as a result of the attack and that the teacher of that class had verified everything I said.

Incident number two from high school involved me being attacked by a member of the school rugby team. Since I didn't play rugby, I barely knew the student. He was older, stronger and bigger than I was. His deisred amusement for the day was to throw some fruit at me. Because I had no desire to provoke a disturbance, and because the deputy principal was roaming the grounds, I put the fruit in the bin. The bully retrieved the fruit from the bin and threw it at me again. I left the area seeing as I knew where this was headed. He bailed me up and and wanted to know what my problem was. Unfortunately for him, a teacher had shown up, and silently watched to see what would happen. The prick then punched me in the jaw, breaking three of my teeth, before laying into me with fists and feet because I didn't conveniently fall over from the first punch. It took four teachers to drag him off me, so I could be taken off to the school nurse. The aftermath of that incident was that I somehow earned all the blame for that attack, even though my only crime was to put a piece of fruit in the bin. The four teachers who dragged Butch off me all sustained injuries to some degree, from cut lips to black eyes, while my two broken ribs and three knocked out teeth resulted in a $500 dental and medical bill. The deputy principal claimed that I had provoked the incident, and as such could not press criminal charges, simply because I did not respond to Butch's antagonism. How is putting some rubbish in a bin provocation worthy of assault? I just don't get it - the boat sailed and I wasn't on it.

My problems at school were a combination of bullies and bad eggs in the school administration working independently. As you may have worked out, the deputy principal is the common villian in this tale. Each of the bullies I encountered had previous discipline problems, and had spent large amounts of time in detention, supervised by the deputy principal. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. I wasn't the only victim, either. I was merely the most stubborn. Six weeks after the second incident, the deputy principal was subject to a review by the Education Department, courtesy of a confiential letter sent to the Department. I know that because my family's attorney sent the letter. Immediately thereafter, he was on

5. Grand Admiral Thran

Jul 22, 1999
    My problems at school were a combination of bullies and bad eggs in the school administration working independently.

Then your case was unfortunate and it does occur. Again, it was assault and not being picked on. It really sounds to me your parents and yourself didn't press it when you had legal right to, thus letting the person get off with his behavior.

Now that I've said all this, I'll probably cop a serve from Grand Admiral Thran. If so, it'll prove what I've suspected from his first post on this thread.

Yes, because I'm some sort of hypocritical bully that has some issue with not believing anyone could ever be bullied, and that it's a complete farse.

...Did I not just state it occured and wasn't unheard of? Somehow, telling people to empower the 'victims' and that kids will be kids, is just not PC enough. Mistakes are part of growing up people -- bullying is a mistake. See where the connection is?

BTW, for those who have posted in this thread claiming rape and murder are not bullying, I would beg to differ. Bullying is about having power over someone. Rape has been proven to be about the same thing. Are you seeing the connection here? Rape is bullying taken to an extreme measure.

That is such a Freudian way at looking at things. Just because bullying is a game of dominance, doesn't mean it equates rape which is a violent, sexual crime. At some point, bullying is no longer kids growing up and becomes something criminal.

I seriously believe that most people who believe they were or were bullied, have grown very bitter and disdainful from their experiences, to the point where those kids are worse than adult murders and rapists. Otherwise, they wouldn't be saying such things.

There is a big difference between criminal activity and being a little jerk in learning how to grow up and be mature.

Am I the only one who can possibly see it and why it is?
    -GAT

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That is such a Freudian way at looking at things. Just because bullying is a game of dominance, doesn't mean it equates rape which is a violent, sexual crime

Rape has been effectively shown to be a crime of power, not sex. In the psychological/psychiatric community, this is now accepted fact and wisdom.

Just thought I'd point that out.

7. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I think part of the problem is zero-tolerance policies. It's just lazy administration. If there's a fight, the adminstration usually doesn't even try to find out who started it, they just punish everyone involved.

8. Grand Admiral Thran

Jul 22, 1999
    Rape has been effectively shown to be a crime of power, not sex. In the psychological/psychiatric community, this is now accepted fact and wisdom.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Sigh, I know. But there's a big difference between rape and pushing a kid around on the school yard.

Different intentions are to be had. Both dominance, yes, but rape is to be able to humiliate, have, and completely own a person without their consent, thus somehow granting you power (don't ask me how). To bully someone, is to get off on picking on them and pushing them around, being able to assert dominance over them. There is nothing about 'having' someone or 'owning' them. Perhaps a little humiliation, but not in the way rape is.

I was just describing it as a violent, sexual crime because it's how it is classified in our law books. As an act of sexual assault.

-GAT

EDIT:
    I think part of the problem is zero-tolerance policies. It's just lazy administration. If there's a fight, the adminstration usually doesn't even try to find out who started it, they just punish everyone involved.

Agreed. That is part of the problem, poor administration. Not many are qualified for their position, and from when i was in high school, I can say over 75% of them were very underqualified. Nothing more than teachers promoted for lipservice and number of years put in.

9. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    Jedi_Xen,

I stand by my opinon, celebrating the fact that someone is dead(except for Saddam Hussein and bin Laden) is very sick and twisted, even if this guy did bully you for many years. What did you do, go to his funeral and laugh at his family's misery, perhaps spit in his casket!? I know what this guy did to you was very wrong, but you act like he was Hitler, who, by the way, "bullied" MILLIONS of people.

And please don't call me a hypocrite. Believe it or not, I'm actually a really nice guy.

10. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Judge not lest ye be judged.

11. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    No I didnt go to his funeral, I was half a country away when he bit the big one.

1) I wouldnt have delighted in his families pain. Being happy at the death of a demon in human skin is one thing, but going to the funeral and antagonizing the family is another, It was him I had the issue with not them. Even if I was in state at the time, I wouldnt have gone.

And please don't call me a hypocrite. Believe it or not, I'm actually a really nice guy.

What does being a nice guy have to do with being a hipocrit? You are quick to pass judgement on me, then claim this is a problem you are having (passing judgement too quickly). So if by my celebrating is a sin, then what do you call your judging. The Bible says "Judge not lest ye be judged" it also says "Pull not the splinter from your neighbors eye til you remove the beam from your own eye" (Im paraphrasing) You did just that, hence a hipocrit.

BTW, Im a really nice guy too. If I let you into my circle, then there is nothing I wont do for you, but you have to be worthy to be let in first. Not very many people are worthy.

12. Mara_Fett

Mara_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    "celebrating the fact that someone is dead(except for Saddam Hussein and bin Laden) is very sick and twisted,"

Tell me, as a christian, how can you even condone the celebrating of the deaths of people like hussein and binladin? Aren't you supposed to love them as well? Nice guy or not, there is some hypocrisy in that statement.

"I know what this guy did to you was very wrong, but you act like he was Hitler, who, by the way, "bullied" MILLIONS of people."

I'm sure there were many people who celebrated Hitler's death. People whose lives were made miserable by him. Who are you to judge(sure are having trouble with your christian attitude) someone else's level of misery? I'm not saying it's right for anyone to celebrate anyone else's death, for any reason. But who are you to say it's wrong. He didn't kill him, he's just happy he's dead...so what?

13. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    Ok, it's obvious that all of you are looking into my statements too literally, so I'm just gonna cut to the chase:

Bullying is very, very wrong, and believe it or not, I feel sorry for Jedi_Xen. I just don't share his belief that that the only punishment for bullying should be death. Some bullies can be reformed by counseling and jail, you know.

And for the last time, I am not a hypocrite!

Thank you.

14. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Bullying is very, very wrong, and believe it or not, I feel sorry for Jedi_Xen. I just don't share his belief that that the only punishment for bullying should be death. Some bullies can be reformed by counseling and jail, you know.

Jedi_Xen never said that.

15. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I'd say that bullying is also a power game, KW. Bullies seek a desired outcome that will (for a short time) make themselves feel better. Bullies generally have low self-esteem (which is why they pick on people).

I'm slightly introverted (and have become more so since high school). People (or rather the noise they create) annoys me after a length of time, and having large groups of people around for any length of time (when I can't get away) drives me to distraction and makes me stress. I still like hanging out with people, and I often go out and do stuff with friends because not going out of the house makes me go insane. I like talking to people and socialising, I just don't want to do it all the time.

I don't know what the girl in highschool had a problem with. I can't ever remember doing anything to her, or the other girls. I had self-confidence (I say had here). I was bright and loud and spoke my opinons forcefully when I got annoyed about something. I was rarely the shy retiring type (at least in early highschool). I wasn't popular (I didn't have the money) but it didn't bother me. I had my few friends and they stuck with me.

I'm not the sort of person to be bullied. I don't have a victim mentality and I certainly would never have asked for this girl to do what she did. If she'd ever come at my physcially I could have beaten her back - but her taunts were the mental (and much more insidious) kind. It's hard to get over them...as often it's your buttons that they are pushing and no-one else can see that.

The thing, that I think finally broke my bully is that my friends wouldn't take her crap anymore. Two of my friends stood up (independently and without my asking) to her and told her off. More people became friends with me, and I used that barracade to stop her. Mind you - she never backed off completely, but she didn't do it as often.

The school admins told my mother (on the day I snapped) that I had a victim mentality and had brought it upon myself. My mother told them (in less polite words) that she thought that was crap. She said if it ever happened again the school would be sued and she'd make sure that every parent knew the school's policy on bullying

It worked on the school level. They put in a policy against bullies, and although I don't think it's been completely effective - I applaude them for doing it (particularly as the old school counsellor has left).

Kithera

16. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    You don't laugh at yourself, much, do you? Had you turned it into a joke, and laughed at it yourself, it would have taken away the empowerment the 'bullies' had over it.

No. I will not just laugh it off when someone spits tobacco on me, dumps 10 lbs. of white powder on me. You really don't have a clue, do you?

And keep in mind, Grand Admiral, that when this happened, I was still in my formative years. Quicker to impulse actions...such as shooting someone dead for stealing my skateboard and breaking it.

Now that I am older, and wiser...I'd never shoot someone for doing that. Stop taking what people type out of context.

If you never went through what some of us did, Grand Admiral, you should do us the courtesy of not pretending you know everything.

17. Grand Admiral Thran

Jul 22, 1999
    No. I will not just laugh it off when someone spits tobacco on me, dumps 10 lbs. of white powder on me. You really don't have a clue, do you?

Then, if you don't know how to defend yourself against such attacks, either by choice or ignorance of how to... do you expect us to pity you for your weakness? Say how bad those mean bullies were when you clearly didn't defend yourself properly? You don't stop a mugging with a court injunction, nor do you beat the snot out of your opposing attorny -- each place has it's own method of defense. It is a dog eat dog world out there in the adult-realm, you know. Someone is out for your job, people waiting to surpass you, scam you, harm you, rob you...if you don't educate yourself, you will be a victim. It's not to say it's right that they did that to you, however it is to say those who act like victims will become such, and the 'police' won't always be there to stop such first before it happens. What is done is done, you should have learned from past experiences and not be so bitter over it. No personal comments allowed.

And keep in mind, Grand Admiral, that when this happened, I was still in my formative years. Quicker to impulse actions...such as shooting someone dead for stealing my skateboard and breaking it.

Oh right. I'm sorry, your behavior and thought process is CLEARLY excusable, but yet, the bullies' behavior isn't. They could have just been as quick to impulse as you were. Amazing how you can use it to absolve yourself now, but they still have no excuse. If you were to ask me, I'd say that you can't use it as an excuse in any case.

Now that I am older, and wiser...I'd never shoot someone for doing that. Stop taking what people type out of context.

My 11 year old sister knows it's wrong to murder. I'd venture to say there's something wrong mentally or emotionally with kids who would do that for a skateboard. I bet several medical doctors would agree.

If you never went through what some of us did, Grand Admiral, you should do us the courtesy of not pretending you know everything.

Perhaps I did and I don't cry about it like a hurt sparrow with it's wing broken in bitter ire? Life teaches you lessons, and for it, makes you a better, stronger person than before. Instead of talking about the bullies and how bad they are, turn it to the positive and teach the youth of today the lessons you were never taught. Be productive, rather than destructive. Empowerment is the first step to ridding the world of 'bullies', for the first line of defense is how a child reacts to it, the second is the authorities.

Think about it in this way, (and yes, this personally happened to me, so before you go off on your rant that I'm ignorant of being bullied, read it), if a bully threatens a child that if they tell on the bully it will get much worse and the child is now scared to tell an adult; how can the adults know in some cases? Answer is: They wouldn't. Should you empower a child with self-esteem, teaching them how to deal with bullies, they will not be afraid and can use the 'backup' defense of an adult to rid them of their problem when they inform them.

Just because you're too bitter and ignorant of how to deal with children, understand how they think, and the like, doesn't mean I'm some monster who is unfeeling and cruel. Merely means I am educated in how to deal with bullies, through self-experience and outside means. I empowered myself as a child, and am a better person today for it; I don't cradle my wounds and pick at them years later.

Nor do I let scars or wounds develop mentally/emotionally. Empowerment. It's not a difficult thing.

-GAT

18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Nor do I let scars or wounds develop mentally/emotionally. Empowerment. It's not a difficult thing

I think you're going off of only your experiences and who you are a little too much. Simply because you're able to do something or view something a certain way doesn't mean others are able to do the same (or so easily).

What's easy and natural for you may go against the grain for other people. I suggest you open your perspective a little bit.

19. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    I just don't share his belief that that the only punishment for bullying should be death. Some bullies can be reformed by counseling and jail, you know.

Key word alert: SOME BULLIES can be reformed. I was out of state when my bully died, but when I cam in for Christmas that year I spoke to a friend who likewise was bullied by this demon. He informed me our former bully was out on bail, he was to be tried for assaulting a teenage boy and raping his girlfriend. Im not a teenager but, and current Im single, but last summer I would of hated to think of taking my gf out on a date at a state park and have some hooligan beat the snaught out of me, and rape her because he wants to get laid. I have been unable to confirm that, mostly out of the lack of wanting to, but I wouldnt put it past this demon. To that friend, me and others he was our own personal Hitler.

And for the last time, I am not a hypocrite!

Double standards would get you called that

Im going to agree with Devilanse here, from your arguments you come across very amoral.

Did Thomas Jefferson not right it is the right of all American citizens to pursue happiness? Doesnt getting the living day lights beat out of you on a daily basis infringe upon that right? Its not PC Crap, for the most part I agree PC goes to far, but we have rights that need to be protected. I never really had a bully that would pick on me, call me names and just general harrassment like you, I still think its wrong and needs to be nipped in the bud. Its one thing if you get picked on, and pick back and the guy or gal who picks on you laughs, but when you stand up for yourself the person who initiates it usually becomes violent.

Not every kid has what it takes to get physically fit. And regardless of what is going through that brain of yours its not a stupid argument, and I am offended you dismiss it as such, very arrogant and amoral of you. We are not all created physically eqaul, emotionally equal or mentally equal each individual has their own strengths and weaknesses, and no individual has the right to make another feel stupid or lesser because that makes them feel better.

Some kids have asthma or other such problems and cant work out, some kids parents cant afford to send their kids to a self defense class. The simple fact is bullyism needs to stop, its not about political correctness, it has nothing to do with PC, but everything to do with freedom. I too agree pc goes to far, but when someone goes out of line to infringe on anothers rights, it is wrong.

20. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Then, if you don't know how to defend yourself against such attacks, either by choice or ignorance of how to... do you expect us to pity you for your weakness? Say how bad those mean bullies were when you clearly didn't defend yourself properly? You don't stop a mugging with a court injunction, nor do you beat the snot out of your opposing attorny -- each place has it's own method of defense. It is a dog eat dog world out there in the adult-realm, you know. Someone is out for your job, people waiting to surpass you, scam you, harm you, rob you...if you don't educate yourself, you will be a victim. It's not to say it's right that they did that to you, however it is to say those who act like victims will become such, and the 'police' won't always be there to stop such first before it happens. What is done is done, you should have learned from past experiences and not be so bitter over it. Or coming off as sounding like a anicewordforadonkey towards myself.

This whole attitude is an attempt to justify the actions of bullies. It is an extension of "the strongest survive". It is also a big pile of BULL.

We are not just animals fighting for survival. We are human beings with reasoning skills. We are able to rise above our emotions and instinct. We are more than just the sum of our instinct.

Think about it in this way, (and yes, this personally happened to me, so before you go off on your rant that I'm ignorant of being bullied, read it), if a bully threatens a child that if they tell on the bully it will get much worse and the child is now scared to tell an adult; how can the adults know in some cases? Answer is: They wouldn't. Should you empower a child with self-esteem, teaching them how to deal with bullies, they will not be afraid and can use the 'backup' defense of an adult to rid them of their problem when they inform them.

Why should a child have to defend themself against threats of physical force? What about those who are physically incapable of defending themselves?

What you describe should be a last line of defense, not the first. It is the administration's responsibility to protect the safety of the students, not the students'.

Kimball Kinnison

21. Grand Admiral Thran

Jul 22, 1999
    I think you're going off of only your experiences and who you are a little too much. Simply because you're able to do something or view something a certain way doesn't mean others are able to do the same (or so easily).

I'm not superman, KW, and if I can do it, it can be done with other children. This isn't a physical gift, or a mental gift. It's something taught or learned.

What's easy and natural for you may go against the grain for other people. I suggest you open your perspective a little bit.

It MAY have been easy and natural for me to learn on my own, but it does NOT mean that it can't be taught at home and at school. Just because you're timid or an introvert, doesn't mean you can't defend yourself. Rather, I suggest you open yourself up to the idea that might be worth a shot to teach our children this, and that it is a possibility -- instead of shutting it down as a misconcepted, impossible idea because you might believe you might not be able to do such.

Some kids have asthma or other such problems and cant work out, some kids parents cant afford to send their kids to a self defense class. The simple fact is bullyism needs to stop, its not about political correctness, it has nothing to do with PC, but everything to do with freedom. I too agree pc goes to far, but when someone goes out of line to infringe on anothers rights, it is wrong.

My brother has asthma, he plays football and is bigger than I am. So...lay off the 'but every kid doesn't need to be fit!' You take phys ed. for a reason.

And you have to remember, these are children we are discussing, not adults or children who are old enough to be tried as adults. There is a line between bullying and criminal action. A fine line, perhaps, but still a line.

This whole attitude is an attempt to justify the actions of bullies. It is an extension of "the strongest survive". It is also a big pile of BULL.

I don't agree with a lot of your views, too, Kimball. But you don't see me posting that your views are a big pile of BULL do you? I stood by my word you twist your modship to your favor, and I stand again by my judgement you shouldn't have that power. Time, however, will tell if my assertion is correct or not. For now, you are out of line for calling my belief on bullies to be 'bull' when there is no concrete evidence to counter that this view isn't valid or legit in how to deal with the problem. I believe it is a valid stance. You also TOLD me my position or 'attempt' was, when it wasn't. Something you came down on me for, exactly.

Take it off. Or, I will pm KW or RS and have them remove it. You're supposed to be an example, you know.

However, I'll finish addressing the rest of your post, not because I care whether you see it or not, but because there are some valid points I would like to address so that others may see them.

We are not just animals fighting for survival. We are human beings with reasoning skills. We are able to rise above our emotions and instinct. We are more than just the sum of our instinct.

In your opinion. We are still animals, and we still will behave like animals at our core. What you see as 'being above nature', I see as distancing yourself and denying a part of your humanity. We are more than the sum of our instincts, however, it does play a part in who we are. And, to further prove that we are not above our instincts, a baby crys when it needs something, or a reaction to a threat is defense. Jealousy is territorial. These are still interwoven into 'our divine, and superior reasoning.'

Why should a child have to defend themself against threats of physical force?

Because, everyone should know how to. EVERYONE. Including children, so why not start there? It may end up saving their lives or their family's life in the future.

What about those who are physically incapable of defending themselves?

When was the last time you saw someone bullying around someone in a wheel chair who was an invalid?

And, even sh

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm not superman, KW, and if I can do it, it can be done with other children. This isn't a physical gift, or a mental gift. It's something taught or learned.

But you make it sound like your way is the only right way, or the only thing that should or can be done. What I'm saying is that what works for you doesn't work for everyone, and that the world shouldn't be obligated to follow one person's (or group's) experiences as gospel.

Take it off. Or, I will pm KW or RS and have them remove it. You're supposed to be an example, you know.

He's fine. He has stated his opinions, as have you. You've stated your views on other people's opinions as well, so I don't think there's any problem.

23. Grand Admiral Thran

Jul 22, 1999
    But you make it sound like your way is the only right way, or the only thing that should or can be done. What I'm saying is that what works for you doesn't work for everyone, and that the world shouldn't be obligated to follow one person's (or group's) experiences as gospel.

Not to stem into another thread, but I believe most of the world is expected to by others to be obligated to follow one person's experiences/teachings as gospel. I see it every day of my life, in politics, and on this board. You know of who and what I speak of. Hypocrasy.

Furthermore, you make it sound like it can't be done or it'd harm our children to do stuff. All I am merely saying is that you can't cage children up or always be there to defend them. It's more efficent and prosperous to teach them how to handle or defend themselves, then put them shelter over them.

He's fine. He has stated his opinions, as have you. You've stated your views on other people's opinions as well, so I don't think there's any problem.

Really now? I believe he's not fine.

This whole attitude is an attempt to justify the actions of bullies.

Really, my attitude is? Well thank you for stating and polarizing the debate. That is a not allowed I believe, and if he didn't intend for it to sound this way (Which it does, as he was addressing me) then he needs to edit it so it doesn't sound like it.

You didn't see me sitting here telling him his 'whole attitude is just making our children patheticly weak' when that is CLEARLY not his intention. I didn't speak for him, and I don't expect him to speak for me.

-GAT

24. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Really now? I believe he's not fine

Take it up with me privately, if you'd like (and as concisely as possible). I'm always open to concerns.

25. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Grand Admiral, this is not a personal attack...just an observation.

I doubt you would have lasted 5 minutes with the type of bully I put up with.

I din't crawl into a hole, or cry, or anything like that. I did wonder why the same teachers who were telling me I couldn't go home to wash off all the chalk, were giving high-fives to the kids that did it later on in the day.

Bottom line...bullying is wrong...it doesn't belong in an institution of learning, and those guilty of it should be punished...harshly if the case calls for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.