main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo What to do for February.....

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Toran-Kal, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    I know we just barely finished January's activity, but what the heck!!

Does anyone have any ideas for February?

I can't say that I have any brilliant ideas......yet. :D

2. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    A massive Birthday party for everyone. :D We can do the White Bantha present then as well.

Just a thought.

3. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    Toran, I did ask for suggestions at the end of the Monthly Meeting thread. ;)

As we didn't get to the White Bantha exchange in either December or January, perhaps it would be well suited for February. Any other comments?

4. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    "Toran, I did ask for suggestions at the end of the Monthly Meeting thread."
    I know, but that thread was getting kinda long. :D

5. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    well, if all else fails, we could do another lightsaber training session :D

?

?

Okay, fine then....
    Well, if we had a script planned out we could make some sort of fanfilm. I'd be glad to work on it, except I'm terribly bogged down this semester. On top of 15 credits, 10 hours of work, and learning 3DStudio MAX I have to pull a 'creative project' out of my butt for my application to the Media Arts major.

But I'll let you know if I have any good ideas.

6. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    Spoo, just a suggestion....try pulling that out of your brains instead of elsewhere. ;)

I do not have any filming equipment, so that would need to be provided by others. I'm leaning towards the party, though. Perhaps we could work on some kind of fan film in March.

7. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Well, the probelm with a fanfilm is that you can't just work on it for one month's activity. It has to be completely planned out ahead of time, (which someone has to do), then MAYBE it could be filmed in one activity. And then someone has to do the postproduction work (whic takes ALOT of time). And besides that, I don't know how many of us here are actors... we could just end up with a conglomerate of poorly delivered lines and badly choreographed lightsaber fights. (*AHEM* legacy *AHEM*)

So, yeah, I'm done talking.

8. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Hey! If we're doing a party, we could have a big game of Star Wars trivial pursuit! That would be awesome! (if no one owns it I might be able to borrow my sister's boyfriend's copy. They might even come, too!)

9. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    I agree with Spoo on the film thing. It would take planning and also post-production. (And I'm also a bad actor :_| )

I think the party would be fun. Trivial Pursuit would be cool too. But remember Adam - once again, trivial pursuit was YOUR idea so YOU have to be there this time!! ;)

10. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everyone,

Star Wars Trivial Pursuit is a great idea. I have one here in Seattle, but it's just a little too far for me bring by. :(

My family in Orem has a copy you can borrow if you can't find one. Paul, don't you have a copy?

You might want to implement the rule my family adopted of only allowing five correctly answered questions in a row. Otherwise someone might win in one turn! :D

You know, Hasbro at one time was going to release an Episode I version of Trivial pursuit. I wonder what happened to it? ?[face_plain]

Later,

11. Keighvin

Keighvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2001
    Sorry Mike, no copy here. Definitely sounds fun though.

12. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    How can you people not own your own copy of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit? Well I have a copy, and hopefully I can make it to this activity. I really do want to go to them.

13. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    I have one! It's right next to Star Wars Monopoly.

For a fanfilm, we could easily do a parody, and cut way down on the effects. I was thinking Canadian Star Wars.... slightly inspired by such comedies as Canadian Bacon and Strange Brew.

Beauty, eh?
    What a piece of junk, eh!
    Take off, you hoser!
    You knob, she's the fastest ship in the fleet, eh?

14. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everyone,

Hmmmm.... Canadian Star Wars, eh? ;)

Paul does a great Canadian Accent. :D

So is it going to be Trivia night then? Or maybe a parody Fan Film?

Later,

15. Keighvin

Jan 30, 2001
    We really should stick to just one, so as to keep the activity short enough so as to be manageable. We'll also have a ready idea for next month in the one we don't choose.

16. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I can fake a Canadian accent too. (My sisters had Bob & Doug's Great White North album)

Not that there actually IS such thing as a Canadian accent in my experience. Has ANYONE noticed me speak with an accent? Thought not! =)

17. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    No actually I haven't. But I do notice some things that Canadians say funny - like bag....and I can't remember what else. My RA (floor advisor guy) is from Canada so I've noticed some things that you Canadians say funny.

Man, I just rambled on about who knows what. I confused myself. ?[face_plain]

So back to the subject of the activity - I'd stay Trivial Pursuit would be good for this month. And if we want to do the film for next month we should start planning some time soon.

EDIT: Made it a little less confusing, but not enough.

18. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Spoo, you don't think that Utahn don't talk funny? I mean what's the whole thing with fark? I don't get it. I don't say it fark, it's fork.

Okay back to topic. :D

19. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Hey, that bag thing isn't a Canadian thing... it plagues all the midwest. I've never known anyone from the east side to say it, and my roommate from South Dakota says "Bayg", "Flayg", "Fayg" etc.

20. Keighvin

Jan 30, 2001
    Spoo - you do have just a trace, probably only audible to those who know what they're looking for. I used to live in Washington, so bumping into a knuckian accent was not infrequent.

The Utah accent grates my ears, it's such a lazy form of speech: no throated dipthongs, no ROUNDING of dipthongs (second tones are all but nonexistent, or totally misplaced/altered). They do the glottal stop in the front of their mouths for crying out loud. They even use the glottal stop for that matter!

But that doesn't solve the issue of February's activity. Maybe in honor or the locale we should have the Jedi Olympics?

"Spoo's pulling farther ahead in the 100m levitate, but Navaren looks like her concentration's getting a boost. We'll take a brief moment and check back with the Meditation Marathon.

"Thanks Bob! Things are pretty exciting on this end,
    Keighvin nearly disqualified himself with a facial twitch before regaining his composure. Toran-Kal will probably take first unless Keighvin gets his heart rate even lower. It's quite spectacular. Back to you.

"Thanks, Joan. Before our contestants reach the finish line, I just received an administrative announcement regarding the unfortunate cancelling of some scheduled events. Lightsabre pole-vaulting will
    not be on the docket this year, though it's hardly surprising given the utter lack of success in any previous years. Animal rights activists have also put the state of the taun-taun polo event in limbo while a committee reviews their concerns."

Hrm, then again maybe not. Or maybe we could use this as the basis for a script to get that fan film done.

21. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    I love this as a basis for a fan film. It's nearly Animal Olympics, and this has so much potential.

For the record, I'm also bothered by Utahn speech. I grew up elsewhere, and I feel rather lucky to have married a Utahn whose accent isn't too bad.

It sounds like we're gathering here for the February meeting, then. I don't have a copy of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit ::hangs head in shame:: but I do have Star Wars Monopoly. I know...Monopoly, but we could play the time restricted version and still get out of here before 6 am the next morning.

I'd prefer to avoid Valentines weekend, so that leaves three other weekends. How would the weekend of the 23rd work for everyone?

22. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everyone,

Hmmmm...... Jedi Olympics...... Hmmmmmmm.

BTW, Congratulations Provo Forum on reaching the 1000 post mark! :D

Later,

23. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Sounds like a great idea for the fanfilm next month.

Navren, didn't Andakin say he had a copy? And if all else fails I'm sure I can borrow one (my sister's fiancee has a copy)

24. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Does anyone have the Episode I 3D monopoly board?

I can bring my trivial pursuit game if more people show up.

25. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Utah accent.... whaddaya mean? :p

>>(My sisters had Bob & Doug's Great White North album)
    hehe! "Take off! To the Great White North! Take off!"

Yes, I do have a copy of Trivial Pursuit.
    I'm in favor of either activity. Jedi Olympics sounds great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.