main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to do if you are banned.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by IronParrot, Sep 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    DISCLAIMER: I wrote this without consulting the other admins and thus one should not assume I am speaking for them. This is really just a compilation of my opinions on what one SHOULD do. These are not rules but rather guidelines.

------------------------------------------------

- If you have been banned, the best thing to do is e-mail jc-admins@theforce.net . This way, you will reach all the admins so they are aware of your banning and can check the list, where the reason for your ban has been provided by the admin who banned you. Whoever's on will look into it and handle the situation appropriately, or at least respond to you with a message that they will discuss it with the admin who banned you. Also, if an admin is abusing his or her powers in the action of banning you, or did not deal with the situation very well, the other admins will know about it.

- Another option, if you know who banned you and have him/her on your ICQ list or whatnot and he/she is online, drop a message. This will guarantee a far more immediate response - however, I still recommend using the general admin e-mail address over this method because of how you're reaching to all the admins. This is a very good method of handling little misunderstandings and the like, though.

- If you have an alias, or you create one, you may use it to PM the admin who banned you if you know his or her identity. However, this may result in a very delayed response - otherwise, it has the same benefits and drawbacks as the ICQ method, and the bonus is that you don't need to have the admin's number or whatnot. The important thing to remember, though, is DO NOT POST WITH THIS ALIAS.

Here is what NOT to do if you are banned:

- DO NOT return under an alias without the permission of the admins.
    - Following that point, DO NOT post a thread in Communications or anywhere else asking "Why was I banned?" as this only draws unnecessary attention and takes up valuable space on the front page, too. As such, don't ask someone to do this kind of thing for you either.
    - DO NOT talk privately to an admin other than the one who banned you. If you do not want to settle it with the admin who banned you alone, feel that he/she has some kind of bias or misjudgment, and would wish to inform the admins in general, please e-mail jc-admins@theforce.net . And naturally, if you don't know which admin banned you and would like to inquire, use e-mail as well.

------------------------------------------------

Comments, questions, suggestions?

2. MickFoley

MickFoley Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 25, 2000
    IP, you da' man!

3. shine

shine Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 1999
    Weren't you banned Watto?

4. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Thank you for this thread IP. I think sometimes people aren't exactly clear on what they should do and this will serve as a very nice outline for them. Good work, sweetie! ;)

5. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I agree with all of this.

Vertical

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Indeed. If you are banned, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT come back under another alias without asking the admins to give you a second chance. If you ask for a second chance, you may be given one. If you don't, every one of your aliases will be banned on sight.

7. Dark Lord of the Jedi

Dark Lord of the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    IronParrot, your always thinking.
    Well done to you, and to whoever voted for you for moderator

8. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Wait a minute? Where's the part about whining and being a little baby about it, then making about 3000 new names and trying desperatly to come back? Isn't that standard protocol?

9. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000

Just waiting for the bitter and twisted reply from Lord Chewy.

Good work IP :)

10. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Look under "m" for moron, DDH :)

Vertical

11. shine

Oct 5, 1999
    Wattowatta was banned three times. So far your rules have no leverage if he's still posting here.

12. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    "Well done to you, and to whoever voted for you for moderator"

I don't think Lord Chewy would dare post a bitter reply here, when she just got complimented.

13. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I just want to tell everybody that if i ever get banned, i will not be coming back, because this is my name, and i will NEVEr have any other Star Wars nick. Plus, i found this very interesting since when people do get banned, thay do the exact oposite of the directions given. This thread NEEDS to be up always.

14. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    what you really should do, if there is a banning, is to send out an automated email tot heir listed address informing them formally that they have been banned and what for

15. Darth_AT-AT

Darth_AT-AT Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2000
    Well, I decided yesterday that I wanted to return after several months of being banned. I created a new name but did not post, only used it to PM Mr. K. He at first replied negatively but then said he was giving me a chance and I could post under this name. This was despite him saying three and a half months ago that I would never be allowed back. I am sure that if I had just arbitrarily come back, I would have been name banned once more and then wouldn't have been able to return for twice as long. So it would seem PMing asking for permission to return is the right way to go....As for invisible sockpuppets, they might work at first, but you will eventually be found out, plus you have to avoid any reference to previous identity, which is a real pain.

IronParrot is a good admin, first at Entmoot and then here. I have still been lurking around Communications and agree with the several clarifications and policies he has posted. It does well to avoid confusion and goes some way towards the steadfast set of policies and rules I have always advocated on the JC.

Would an announcements forum be a good idea? Admins post announcements and then members could reply to them. You could say that any non-admin who posted a new topic in the forum would get a 48hr username ban, or something like that.

16. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    In most cases, I am willing to work something out. I will listen. I won't guarantee I'll let you back in, but I will listen; and given the possibility, I will reply. Darth_AT-AT here is a case in point. (Although, like all returnees, he's on STRICT observation)

Thanks for posting this, IP. It really is the best way to handle these things. A banning is sometimes just as hard for an admin to deal with as it is the offender. This at least gives some direction for everyone concerned. Good job.

17. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Darth_Servo said you IP banned him, Mr. K.

I think I'll stay out of this....

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

18. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    That is correct, I regret to say...

Oh, and after further discussion with other admins, and taking into consideration alleged abusive behaviour on other boards, I have decided to reinstate the ban on DarthAT-AT pending further information...

19. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    Regarding Servo, the reasons behind the severity of the banning is a private matter. Let's just say that some information has come to light that requires us to take action. I can't go into it any further at this time.

...and this banning comes from the JC Admin Council, not just me.

20. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    I was talking to Servo on ICQ and I just wanted to see what happened.
    I want to make it clear I'm not taking sides.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

21. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    ...neither am I. Just doing what I have to do.

22. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    we need a gossip forum for occasions like this

23. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000

I second that.

24. shine

Oct 5, 1999
    Mind your business.