main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to do if you are banned.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by IronParrot, Sep 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kii

Kii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2000
    Hmm...not wanting to get shouted at or anything...but I thought you didnt get banned for non-forum stuff, or is the Servo thing forum-related?

2. JediMasterAlpha

JediMasterAlpha Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 1999
    You CAN get banned for off-fourm stuff. Slackergate proved that much. And actually, I don't mind it so much, as long as the off-forum activity directly affects the JC's safety or well-being. It only makes sense. I mean, let's say they found out a member was planning to cause mass havoc on the JC. Would it better to sit and wait, or pre-emtively stop them?

3. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Helmet got banned for doing that crap to Wattowatta's board.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

4. MickFoley

MickFoley Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 25, 2000
    Holy crap, he did?

5. JediMasterAlpha

JediMasterAlpha Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 1999
    No, he was banned for stuff he did here, not for what he did over there. See, what he did to Wattowatta's board had no direct effect on the JC. On a MEMBER of the JC, yes. But not on the JC as a whole.

6. Kii

Kii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2000
    my point is this;

If something occurs off the forum but its an action that may pertain to a problem or a potential problem on the boards (excluding, imo, whatever judgements on a members personality may be made) then I would call that forum-related since it is a threat to the board.

E.g. plotting to spamm the board. Pre-emptive action should be taken in this cause, since it directly involves the forum.

If, however, a member does something not related to the forum but which reflects upon their personailty, I dont belive this should be given any weight against a member since it is *not* related to the board except in an indirect way and any decision take would involve a judgement made of their personality regardless of actions taken within the forum.

E.g. a person is beleived to have a criminal record. This should not reflect upon their posting rights since it requires an admin to make a judgement on their personality, one which may well be made on nothing more than rumours and the member shouldnt be forced to disclose that kind of information.

Thats just my view on things

(examples are NOT based on any particular members or their situations and we're thought up randomly)

7. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    I was banned once, but I came back because I told an admin that I did not see the warning I was given. Thank the gods for Chy's compassionate side

8. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    I think I have a better solution; Don't get banned.

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Did Darth ATAT's actions on other boards have any relation to the JC?

10. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    A history of abuse elsewhere led to my 'change of mind', yes. I admit it. But it was in the best interest of the JC.

11. Uwanna Buyer

Uwanna Buyer Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 14, 2000
    After reading this thread I have some questions:

What was Darth_ ATAT's original user name? Just curious if I even know who you're talking about.

What are the Slacker Boards and Slackergate?

What did Darth_ATAT do to get banned a second time?

12. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    "First rule of the Slacker Council: you do not talk about the Slacker Council.
    Second rule of the Slacker Council: you DO NOT TALK about the Slacker Council."

Sorry, Uwanna... :p

13. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Darth ATAT's original username was atatzsinj, I think.

Good work about the "what to do" list, IronParrot!!!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000

15. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000

16. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
  17. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Same thing happened to me.

18. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    how the hell did he get a triple post?

oh, and regarding my earlier comments "bite me"

19. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

First, nicely done, IronParrot. This was needed.

Second, since it has been demonstrated (repeatedly) that off-Forum actions can affect a member's standing here, I would ask under what _specific_ circumstances that would be the case?

As I recall, "directly affects the JC's safety or well-being" was also the reason given to justify Slackergate.

Kida

20. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000

I reiterate Uwanna Buyer's question:

What the hell is slackergate?

Need information please.

21. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Not sure about the details since I don't spend much time in community, but apparently a group of members called the "slackers" were discovered to be planning to register fake names and cause trouble. Though they didn't say anything about it here, communicating through a chat room instead, action was taken and a few were banned. I may be missing major details, or information that came to light later on, so don't take my word for it.

22. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I believe Slackergate was exactly a year ago, was it not?

23. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

September 24, 1999.

The Slackers were spied upon in their chatrooms, and their conversations logged. From those conversations, in the context of an actual (minor) hack against a related site, it was believed that the Slackers were planning to hack the JC. This excuse was used to delete the Slackers' major threads on the JC and, later, to ban a few usernames. (These bans were later revoked.) Posting of the AF logs on the JC later revealed that the underlying reason for action was that of undesirability of the Slackers' chat threads.

The hacking threat was later shown to be completely spurious, and three administrators among all those involved openly apologised (Paul, Chyren, Ytap). (Those most central to creating a context within which a threat might be seen, never did.)

Kida

24. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Thanks for the info Dev :)

[after edit] thanks Kida :)

When posters leave the JC they should write and then leave their memoirs. Kida, I think yours would be worth reading.

25. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Sorry for the delay in the information, LostOnHoth. I had thought it would already have been answered by this point ... but then, looking back, I found some interesting shifts of interpretation.

The full post of all the related AF threads and chat logs posted to the AF late last year helped greatly in achieving a _full_ perspective.

Re memoirs:
    I think I will leave history to the historians ...

Kida

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.