main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to do if you are banned.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by IronParrot, Sep 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
  2. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
  3. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A poser for the admins:

Twice now I've been told I've been banned.

In response to a query, I am informed 2 trolls have the same IP number (this ties into a few other posts by others).

It is suspected they are me.

I can state categorically they are not.

Each time the problem has resolved itself, with the system working out that it has mixed things up BUT...

Once I don't mind, twice is irritating, a third will be severely so because I am very careful about what I say in net debate.

So, my Q is: What can I do about this? I neither know what my IP number is, nor how to access it. Nor do I see why I should have to do so, given that no one has informed that my conduct has been wrong.

I have found my engagement in these forums to be great fun and it would be a shame to end it due to software error, beyond either my or the forum admin's control.

Regards

Jedi Ben

5. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
  6. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    An update: The problem is officially sorted.

My thanks to whichever admin took care of it.

'Fore I go, I was truly surprised to hear IP banning is the sole defensive option against malevolent posters. I thought there were a few others, a kind of minor to major scale with an IP nuke at the end!

As is clear, while I know bits and pieces of IT stuff, there's much I don't know.

Thanks,

Jedi Ben

8. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    so glad you were able to get this situation sorted out with the admins. Always feel free to PM them; they are very responsive and will help you. :)

9. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
  10. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
  11. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Good, now that just leaves the problems stated in my thread in Communications. Namely, why I am banned!

12. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    JediWarrior: that's pretty much your own fault. It didn't exactly help that you kept creating aliases.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    JC, you need to PM a mod and ask them. There have been times when the ban on an address bleeds over to the next address, as in aol which has rolling IPs. If you felt you did nothing wrong, you need to ask them why and check. There was a problem last week. One member was banned, but the address capped bled over to another member's address, too, and banned that address as well. She didn't know what she had done, until she PM'd a mod and the mod found out the ban on someone else had bled over to her, too. It was corrected. it's a system glitch, I believe. But you'll never know until you ask.

14. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    (from someone who is simply too lazy to look for it herself): Where does it list everything we can get banned for, or, where are the rules? I probably ought to go read them before I try something risky like telling ya'll about that dream I had the other night...

15. Uwanna Buyer

Uwanna Buyer Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 14, 2000
    Well, duh. There's only a thread posting the rules about 8 topics down.

*rolls eyes*

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2090670&replies=14

16. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Try the "JC FORUMS RULES AND REGULATIONS" thread in Announcements.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1622313&replies=0

It's not a complete list -- some things that you can be banned for require you to interpret the rules. For example, the rule:

---------------------------------------
    You are responsible for your username under all circumstances.
    ---------------------------------------

This means that if you share a computer with the family, you don't log out, and your little brother gets on and starts posting profanities, spamming, trolling, etc., you are responsible for not taking precautions to protect your account. (Besides, how do we know you have a little brother?)

That was just one example. I'm sure if there are any specific questions you may have concerning the interpretation or enforcement of any rules can be answered by the administrators.

Just remember, if there is a mistake made in locking a thread or banning an account, these things can be remedied. A thread can always be unlocked, and an account can be unbanned.

If you know which admin locked a thread that you feel should remain unlocked, PM the admin and tell him/her your reason that it should stay unlocked. The administrator has the option to unlock it or not, but you can at least get a reason for the action (if the reason wasn't already known).

If you have an account that is banned, follow the link for an unban request that appears on your screen. This is not necessarily going to get an immediate response, so be patient. I know I usually only checked when I had recently banned an account, and I tried to let everyone answer unban request for the users that they banned themselves. If it goes unanswered for a while, the admins will help each other out by either answering the request or calling attention to the request. Sometimes the user is being discussed, and extra time may be needed. Very rarely are requests ever ignored completely and/or removed from the folder (hint: don't curse in an unban request).

Hope this helps somewhat.

17. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    "Up, Chewie, up!" --Han Solo

18. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    go chewie, go

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

19. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
  20. Plo_KoonGZ

Plo_KoonGZ Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2001
    After being told I was getting banned for 24 hours I was banned for 48. Nothing big just make sure you do what you say your going to

21. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
  22. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
  23. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I've a question.

My brother signed up, trolled/spammed, and was banned. All on my computer.

Had it been IP banned, would that have locked me out?

24. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    yes, I understand it would, because the IP is attached to your computer. You'd better make your computer password accessible only. Can't prove it's your broher that did it; could have been your sock. Blaming a brother is an old trick by many a JCer.

25. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Actually, it would depend on your ISP. Some Internet Service Providers do not use a fixed IP address, and so your IP address would change every time you log on. AOL is one example of this. The IP numbers are usually similar, such as:

and

Sometimes, since other people may use the same IP address, there is an overlap and other people may accidentally be banned. In cases like the one above, sometimes it may take a while before we notice, since it may require several logins before the IP address used for that session matches the one that is banned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.