main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to do when someone steals from a site...

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by GentleBant, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Without going into details, a site I am helping work on is having a HUGE problem with someone taking our material and using it for their sites without asking us or crediting us. Now I know that ultimately, all SW stuff is George and Co.'s, but it is really, really painful to see many hours of editing and working and coding being stolen and put up without our consent or even a little credit.

The webmaster for the offending site has been emailed numerous times about this, and initially this person did remove a few pictures. However, this person now has at least 4 or 5 sites with well over 100 images and quotes from our site and still isn't crediting us. We know which images are our's because:
    1.) They appear on this person's sites within days of our putting them up
    2.) They have exactly the same image dimensions
    3.) They have the same exact edits/enhancements as our's (i.e., a black framing not cropped out, a blurred section or canvas stretch)
    4.) They have the same scene or character selection down to the same frame capture in relevant images
    5.) This person has done this before.

Short of preventing EVERYONE from being able to link or use these images, does anyone have a suggestion on what we could do?

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Contact the site that host's them demanding thier account be suspended until your content is taken down.

3. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    GentleBant, I don't really have any further advice for you other than the wise words of Rox, but I just wanted to say that I feel terrible for you in your situation, as I know how it feels when people steal your images/work without your consent. It sucks. Contact the hosting company, and please let us know what happens. Good luck!

4. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Thanks for the advice. Because said webmaster has recently moved site to a mailing-group MSN ish thing, I'm not sure what our course will be. I appreciate the sympathy, as well.

5. trevor_lamb

trevor_lamb Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    I would also suggest copyrighting your own stuff, and maybe even adding your web address to a corner of your jpgs. That way they won?t have a leg to stand on if a third party gets involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.