main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What top 5 Special Edition changes would you get rid of forever?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Just for some fun, what five special edition changes would you delete forever from the Original Trilogy?

Disney has hired us as special consultants.....Instead of us just complaining about it, let's make a top priority list.

My list....

1. The Darth Vader "noooooo" in ROTJ - just so unnecessary and undermines the emotional turmoil we are already sensing from the scene itself (with the amazing music and constant head turns by Vader).

2. The Anakin Ghost in ROTJ - I know some prequel lovers will jump on me for this, but it looks so bad. And it does not make sense. Having Anakin as the older Jedi makes sense. Plus, Luke would have no idea who he is. It just looks out of place and not done too well.

3. Jedi Rocks in ROTJ - yes, that horrible song. Get it out of there and put back in the original Sy Snootles version. Plus it adds too much "Cuteness" and so-called "comic relief" in a dark scene that does not require any.

4. Boba Fett Voice Change - not needed. Even though he was a clone of his father, he is still not EXACTLY like him (I do not need to go into a Psychological Nurture debate here) in every single way. There can be a thousand reasons why his voice would change as he gets older (and depending on what situations he was involved in over the years). The original voice was menacing.

5. The Mos Eisley added scenes - yes that horrible Ronto, the speeder almost hitting into the Jawa riding one, that robot hitting the other robot, etc. It just takes me out of the scene and gets distracting.

I am not totally anti-special edition btw. I like the new effects in ANH's Death Star Battle and even the Wampa scene and new Bespin scenes have grown on me.

whostheBossk, Lando Swarm and Sarge like this.
  2. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    It's way too hard to condense it down to 5 - why couldn't we have 20? All of what ObiAlKenobi posted plus...

1. The Emperor in ESB - poor prosthetic continuity and unneeded dialogue additions.
    2. That awful Sarlaac beak in ROTJ. Makes it look like something from Spongebob opposed to a threatening creature. They could have animated more tentacles.
    3. The Victory Celebration theme from ROTJ. Along with Jedi Rocks - awful!
    4. Jabba in Docking Bay 94. Rehashed dialogue and Jabba loses his mystique when we get to ROTJ.
    5. Sod it... The whole Special Edition Trilogy in their three guises from 1997, 2004 and 2011 are just tiresome and hugely debated in anger. Delete them all, start from scratch and get somebody else like Adrian Sayce (Adywan) to work on them. His Star Wars Revisited fan edits of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back (2013 Workprint) are hugely superior to the any of the official Special Editions.

TKT likes this.
  3. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    I need a beer now...

4. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    Sorry if posts keep popping up - my laptop is having a fit...

5. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I feel like a kid in a candy shop. In no particular order

1. No Hayden Christiansen at the end of ROTJ . Part of the most amazing thing about this scene watching it the first time are the few brief seconds of unfamiliarity (who is that old guy next to Ben and Yoda?) before realising that it was Anakin, as he would have been had he not fallen.

2. Jabba in Docking Bay 94. Not only does it look terrible (the Han stepping on Jabba's tail CGI is awful), make no sense plot wise, and ruin the reveal of the Jabba character in ROTJ, but it also makes a laughing stock out of the character too. Needless.

3. Han shoots first. It was fine before, and it capped off a fantastic introduction to the character. Han shooting first showed the audience not only everything we needed to know about Han, but also everything that we needed to know about Mos Eisley. Not only do the new and subsequently tweaked versions water that down, they also look terribly done. I don't care how much Lucas swears black and blue that there were always two shots and we just never saw it properly - it wasn't shot to be shown that way.

4. Mos Eisley added 'comedy' intro scenes. Why? This film didn't need CGI dinosaurs and slapstick humour - they grated enough in TPM.

5. Sy Snootles 'Jedi Rocks' abomination. The music and the visuals. The original sounded something like music from another planet might sound. The current one not only destroys the flow of the Jabba's Palace sequence but also sounds like Christina Aguilera circa 2002. Again the focus seems to be on LOOK AT ALL THE CGI DINOSAURS WE CAN MAKE instead of properly telling the bloody story and not breaking tone.

EDIT - I forgot about the changed and now basically nonsensical dialogue between the Emperor and Vader in ESB. I'd change that too, because I get 6 wishes.

EDIT EDIT - I also forgot about the beyond stupid addition of "NOOOOO" at the end of ROTJ. That would go too. 7 wishes.

TKT and Sarge like this.
  6. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    You all pretty much nailed a lot of the dumb ones. But here are mine...

Get rid of:

1) Greedo shooting first.
    2) "Jedi Rocks"
    3) Darth Vader's "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
    4) Obi-Wan's "new" Krayt yelp....thing.
    5) Put Sebastian Shaw back in RotJ.

TKT likes this.
  7. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I was totally blocking out the "Greedo shoots first" part. I would take that out of the movie over my "Boba Fett Voice" and "Mos Eisley."

TKT likes this.
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    None.

Also
    [​IMG]

Mr. K likes this.
  9. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    1. Nooooooo!
    2. Hayden Christensen at the end of ROTJ
    3. Greedo shooting first.
    4. Dance number in Jabba's Palace and the horrible song too.
    5. Added aliens, robots and dinosaurs in Mos Eisley.

TKT and Sarge like this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    5 way tie: Nothing

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Geedo shoots first has to go, first off The perfect intro to Han Solo was destoryed because Geedo was small potatos as a local bounty hunter, he was not a interstellar tracker and deadly enforcer like Boba Fett, he was totally disposable, and Han frys him in classic fashion, and then George Lucas decides to destory his own creation and take a major crap on just about everything that made Star Wars famous.

12. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    None.

Darkslayer and Odolwa like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. "NOOOO!" in ROTJ.
    2. Jedi Rocks
    3. I'd keep the around the galaxy victory celebrations and put Yub Nub back in.
    4. R2 behind the rock.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wouldn't waste my time if I had the chance.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I agree with what you guys are saying except for one point. I like the Jabba music scene. Is it necessary? No. But it kinda cracks me up in a good way every time I see it. It gives a completely different mood, right before the green girl drops into the rancor pit.

16. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    1. Vader's "NOOOOOOOOO!" from RotJ
    2. Greedo shooting first
    3. Revert the Krayt Dragon yell + the rock in front of R2 to the way it was in the '04 SE.
    4. The Jedi Rocks song (I would keep the CGI Snootles, though)
    5. Put the original ending order back in AotC (Didn't see that one coming!)

TKT likes this.
  17. Phoenix267

Phoenix267 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    I never even knew Obi-Wan did a great dragon yell in the original. It sounded like he made a strange whistling noise to scare the Sand People away.
    Well, that's one of the changes.
    Next is who shot first. Please allow Han solo to shoot first. It doesn't work having Greedo shooting too, missing at close range, and Han digitally moving his head away.
    In a New Hope; why does Han have to meet Jabba so early in the films? And a CGI Jabba! That's not scary or suspenseful.
    The Ending of the original trilogy should have stayed the same
    The Jedi Rocks scene. Yes, I love the song and dance to it disco style. But It's too cartoonist for the movie.

TKT likes this.
  18. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Revert the Han/Greedo sequence to the way it was in the rough cut so A) Greedo doesn't fire and B) the dialogue isn't repeated in the Jabba scene (which I like). And change Jedi Rocks back to Lapti Nek. Other than that I have no SE gripes.

-Jedi Joe- and SlashMan like this.
  19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    ^I agree with that; either keep the original Greedo scene, or change it to the rough cut to correspond with the Jabba scene. The repeated information is pretty obvious to me. Then again, there'd probably be a lot of commotion over the fact that some theatrical footage was removed, but I personally don't mind (I think the original Greedo costume looks better than the one in the pickup shots anyways). Also, here's the rest of my list:
    • We can agree that Lapti Nek may not look as impressive today, but completely scrapping it seemed like a mistake. It can be enhanced with CGI; give it some small tweaks, make the mouths line up better, make the puppets more lively. Having to start from the ground up with Jedi Rocks makes it stick out that much more.
    • Cut back on the Tatooine changes. Some were better, some weren't. Obstructive changes, like the Ronto blocking the camera, would be better off left out.
    • Boba's voice
    • Probably Anakin's original ghost, but I don't feel as strongly about that one

20. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Truthfully? I'd probably get rid of all of it. But narrowing it down to the top 5? Okay, I'll play...

1. Greedo shooting first. Argh! That was the first change that got an audible groan from the movie theater when I saw the SE.

2. That sequence of them riding into Mos Eisley with the rearing dinosaur-looking CGI things. Unnecessary and looks totally fake. Takes me out of the movie every time.

3. "Nooooooooooooooooo!"

4. The extra Jabba scene in ANH. Hey, as much as I love getting extra screen time for Han Solo, this scene is just totally redundant and Jabba looks too CGI. Besides, it totally takes away from Jabba's "mystique". I like the idea of not meeting him until ROTJ. It's way cooler that way.

5. Jedi Rocks. I always bury my face in a cushion and wait for it to be over when that scene comes on. It stirs up a "Holiday Special" mixture of negative emotions---most of it consisting of embarrassment and revulsion.

TKT likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Han shoots first.
    Bring back old Anakin's ghost.
    Just say Noooo! to Nooooo!
    Lapti Nek>Jedi Sucks Rocks
    Wolfman>CGI whatever that was supposed to be
    Boba Fett keeps his real voice.
    Less wampa is scarier, like the shark in Jaws.

...and that's my top 5.

fuzzbox77 and TKT like this.
  22. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Jabba scene in ANH
    Vader's headin' back to his ship hooplah in ESB

I'm more or less fine with everything else. Some changes I especially like.

23. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    Lak Sivrak (Wolfman) looked like he's tear your face off if you smiled at him. Instead we got a character called Ketwol (Lowtek backwards) who played as two characters in the SE (They reversed the puppet and put a head scarf on him) and looked as scary as Slimer in The Real Ghostbusters.

Sarge likes this.
  24. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Say whaaaaat, I love ALL of the changes that were made! The worst has to be either Jedi Rocks of the Darth Vader "noooo"...but then I get George's thought process behind them, so...

25. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I like the idea of shortening the Han/Greedo scene to cut the redundant dialogue. Never heard that one before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.