main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What unanswered questions do you still have about the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ghost, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Anything that was never sufficiently answered, left hanging in the air?

Let's try and compile a complete list...

Some of my questions:

-Did Yoda and Obi-wan come to abandon the old "attachment" rules, such as forbidding marriage? They already seemed to have made an exception regarding age with Luke, and Luke goes on to marry and have a son:
    Ben Skywalker:
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/6/66/BenSkywalker_Atlas.jpg]

-Did Palpatine have any good in him?
    Young Palpatine:
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/06/Palpatineyouth.jpg]

-Did Owen and Beru know the truth about Luke's father?
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/6/6e/Vaderguide.jpg]

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Icepaw_Kenobi

Icepaw_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2009
    How come Luke was able to defeat Darth Vader so easily after only about one year or less of training, without Yoda? Am I missing something here?

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I wouldn't say they made the exception, seeing how Yoda told Luke to sacrifice Han&Leia, but Luke proves the old order wrong about it, by being attached to Leia and Anakin.

No :p

They clearly knew something. Not sure if it's everything.

4. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    -Did Owen and Beru know the truth about Luke's father?
    Even if they did, would they have fully believed it, considering what Shmi probably told them about Anakins goodness ?

5. Darth_LogicMan

Darth_LogicMan Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2009
    Hi All

I actualy came here for an answer to a very specific question, was going to start a new thread, but I try here first.

First off, Greetings. I was 6 when Star Wars came out. It uterly changed my life. My old man reminded me years later, that when I first saw the Star Destroyer going over the screen, my jaw hit the floor, eyes wide open....... and I stayed that way until the end.

So I got into model making, wood and plastic kits throughout my youth. And then in the mid 1990s I switched to computers. Have been running 3dSMax for various game firms since then. And in my freetime.... :) I often build models from Star Wars. Which has recently turned up a blooper? problem? with the Trench Run at the end of ANH.

I started making a trench, started by modleing the various Panels that go to amke up the bulk of the model, then got down to snapping them into place to make the trench.....but when it came to do the actual exhaust port, I hit a snag.

I thought I knew where the port was supposed to be, at the end of the trench, on the face of a wall. Luke and others fire their Photon Torpedos straight down the trench, and I assume they would go straight in the exhaust port if on target.

yet......

When watching Lukes Photon Torpedos enter the port, they appear to be traveling verticle up the wall, and get sucked in?

How can this be?

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The exhaust port is on the "floor" of the trench.

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/3/31/Protontorpedo.jpg]

7. Darth_LogicMan

Darth_LogicMan Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2009
    Many thanks for the swift reply. :)

I geuss I should have posted in the "Things I am still confused about in the OT" thread.

Does it show this in the Briefing graphics too? On that I always got the impressions it was "right below the main port".....and they were showing a verticle wall on the schematics.....

But the path of the torpedos in that screen grab deffintely indicates the port is on the floor......

Hmmm......

The other wierd thing is, the main light position: As they fly down the trench the "Sun" light is coming from the Pilots left. Yet in that screen grab you provided, the light is coming from the right.

Hate to say it, but I am still confused. If they made a basic lighting error. Is it possible they made a SFX error when applying torpedo art? Sure looks weird that they seem to get "sucked in".

I mean, if the missiles can "home"...why not zig zag over surface to target, then "pop up" and fire down. Rather than fly down a restrictive and predictable path? And how can missiles get "sucked in", if it is an exhaust port?

Not being obtuse, I am a huge fan of films, and am greatful for the feedback. I'm ust..well...confused....lol.

Cheers for the understanding and debate :)

8. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Sure looks weird that they seem to get "sucked in".

Yeah, and you would think that, even after flying in the trench to avoid defenses, they would fly up and then down to get a better angle on that shot into the pipe at the end of the run. In other words, more of a dive bomber type run. I could buy the theory that the bombs were heavy and that the Death Stars gravity was pulling them in.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No, it's not gravity or anything like that.

This is what it probably uses to make that 90-degree turn:

Thrust-vectoring

10. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I would've liked to have found out more about the cave on Dagobah. It doesn't need an explanation, but it was always of interest to me.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think it's a former Sith temple of some kind.

You can see the remains of an archway.

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    The EU answered that one, too:

Dagobah Cave.

I think that the building-esque elements are just supposed to be part of Luke's vision-they don't seem terribly dissimilar from the area where Vader finally defeats Luke on Bespin.

13. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I know the EU answered it. I just would've liked to have seen something in the films. :)

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, sorry. :p

15. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    No worries. I really didn't make it clear what I meant.

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

I almost forgot: Luke steered the torpedoes with the Force. He turned off his targeting computer, remember? ;)

17. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I don't think he actually steered the torpedoes. It seemed to be more of the Force letting him know exactly where to shoot.

18. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    The EU answered that one, too:

Pretty good explanation :

"Hundreds of years before the Clone Wars, the Jedi Minch battled and killed a powerful Bpfasshi Dark Jedi, and his energies absorbed into its surroundings, first tainting the passage with the Dark Side. "
    "During the Great Jedi Purge, Yoda realized that proximity to the Dark Side cave could help neutralize his strong Light Side Force signature and took up residence near the cave and lived there for the next two decades, through the reign of the Galactic Empire. "

But how would "Bpfasshi" be pronounced without spitting on anyone ? :p

19. TaunTaunHerder

TaunTaunHerder Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2007

Perhaps the proton torpedoes are heat-seaking torpedoes.

[face_peace]

20. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    I'd like to know who's in the Y-Wing flying away with Luke & Han just before the DS blows up in ANH.

In the battle between Vader & Luke in ESB, from the Carbonite chamber all the way down to that antenna thing, what was that anyway, Vader manages to get ahead of Luke. How does he do that?

Why are all the Rodian's on Tatooine wearing the same outfit in ANH?

How do troops get in and out of the AT-ST?

21. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    His name was Keyan Farlander. You can find out more here.

22. erock311

erock311 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2009
    I'm not sure but I'm gonna have to guess they come out of the top, because (I think) in Jedi Chewie or Han comes out of the top of a stolen one to show where he is.

23. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    yeah, this has always bugged me. The trench sequence is amazing but logistically it doesn't make sense.

You are in a spacecraft capable of EXTREME speeds. Why fly in a trench around the equator of a "planet." They could easily just plot a course to go directly to the exhaust port.

The counter argument is the usual "death star defenses were too great for a direct approach." But really, this isn't an answer. The fighters are fast enough to "avoid the turbine lasers" so really, what's wrong with a direct approach at the exhaust port?

Also, when Luke gets out his targeting computer, we see the distance countdown as he approaches. Why did the rebels start SO far down the trench? Why didn't they plot their hyperspace courses to come out closer to the port?

24. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    What exactly was the point of the helmet blast shield that Luke used he was fighting that remote in ANH? If you can't see through it, then why would a pilot need it? A piece of cloth would have blindfolded luke just as well...

25. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    would it be to protect your eyes from the intense FLASH of an explosion.

Like you drop your bombs and then flip the blast visor down to save your retinas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.