main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Video Game are you playing?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TheExecutor, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    I much enjoyed the first Jak and Daxter but as stated, didn't care for #2 and haven't tried any of the 30 or so other sequels. I played Crash Bandicoot long ago, but I don't recall being all that into it (although again, it's been a couple years). I don't think I've ever played Ratchet & Clank, but sounds like it might be worth a look.

Sithman, I feel like we're representin' the old school in this thread with our archaic PS2's. Mine's certainly earned it's keep, but I could turn it on tonight and let it run until Christmas, and it probably still wouldn't have as many hours as my old Genesis.

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Funny you guys mention PS2. I've reignited FF12 on the PS2. So far so good.

3. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Just finished both Half Life 2: Episode 2 and Portal. HL2 was fantastic as always and leaves us wanting more. I'd really like to see a movie adaptation with someone like Matt Damon as Gordon Freeman, and at the same time, I don't.

My earlier complaint with Portal still stands; it's too short. What an original and inventive game! Of course, the ending for HL2:E2 hints at more, but I have to do the bonus maps now. And Portal simply has the best credits sequence of any game I have ever seen, and probably any movie. That was good stuff.

Now I want some cake...

4. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    http://www.cracked.com/article_16196_7-commandments-all-video-games-should-obey.html

5. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    That is the best VG article I've read in a while.

6. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    I let my PC Gamer subscription lapse, but when I saw the new issue on the stands, I had to pick it up:

Huge article on Dawn of War II

Huge article on Warhammer: Age of Reckoning

Interivew with 2 big-wigs on their new project: Warhammer 40K online (I've already told the girlfriend she'll be seeing a lot less of me, and not because I'm losing weight)

Bunches of other Warhammer goodness. It's like Games Workshop threw up on PCG, and that's a good thing.

Oh yeah, and a hands-on with Starcraft II and a review of Assassin's Creed, but who cares about those?

7. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Assassin's Creed is ass or so I'm told.

I might grab this PCG you speak of on the way home. 40k Online sounds like an idea full of win and awesome.

8. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    I had both it and Bioshock in my hands last night. Looks like I made the right choice.

40K Online does indeed sound like the kind of thing I want to bathe in. Of course, now I have even more questions that won't be answered for years: will my DA interrogator-chaplain be able to group with your Ultramarines sergeant and Bob's Space Wolves attack bike? Will I be able to wear Mk VI armor or be stuck with Mk VII? Can I "level up" from a standard marine to a terminator or even dreadnought? Can I have a Rhino as my 'mount'?

/sigh

Of course, as I was contemplating all this, a little man climbed down from the ceiling, then ran over to me and kicked me in the gentleman vegetables. As I lay writhing in agony on the floor, he leaned down and whispered in my ear, "Galaxies..."

9. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I'd think 40k would be more like what Planetside was supposed to be. An absolutely massive online shooter set in a well established universe where you progress through the ranks of your chosen army. You have an RPG slant to it where you pick skills and gain access to different weapons etc. Think Hellgate but actually fun. OK Hellgate is OK. It could have been much more fun though. The beta was decent but now I'm veering very far afield. A 40k MMOFPS could work very very well if executed properly.

There is always the lesson of Galaxies that must be recalled and respected. An idea that works so very well in theory but fails in such a spectacular manner must never be forgotten. Still, I think Games Workshop has a lot more at stake with each game release than LFL ever could. I trust that they are making smart decisions because Dawn of War was an incredibly awesome game and the sequel looks to carry on that tradition.

10. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Verily.

One of the guys here read the article with hope in his eyes, then sneered and said, "Oh, it's going to be like Tabula Rasa." then threw the magazine back at me and walked off. Having never played that, I can only assume he meant that as a bad thing.

Has anyone here played Tabula Rasa?

11. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    I forgot to mention earlier that Portal has the best ending credits sequence I have ever seen, regardless of medium. Simply wonderful.

12. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
  13. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    When I tell my girlfriend, "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, including actresses and models." what I don't finish with is, "...except for Kate Beckinsale."

It's there, I just don't say it.

14. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
  15. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Bioshock is appropriately creepy. I think the last time I looked over my shoulder while playing a game, just to make sure no one was there, was the original Half-Life. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking this up.

I'm glad there are only 2 or 3 Big Daddies per level. I'm playing on Medium and they are kicking my ASS.

16. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Yeah they pretty much hand you your ass over the course of the entire game.

17. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000

For me, it was Elite for the Commie=64. Hands down the best space combat emulator until X-Wing. Granted Star Raiders was probably the best Atari 2600 game made by Atari (they could never hang with Activision).

Anyone who's not familiar with Elite should DL the free emulation (which is constantly being updated by fans for the PC). If you have an ancient PC and want to put a killer space-sim on it and don't have your old XW or TF discs this is for you.

If you were to combine Elite with the X-Wing series..you'd probably get Starlancer/Freelancer.

D'

18. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    XWA is installed and running. I'm just waiting on my joystick to arrive.

It is worth noting that at max resolution there is a font patch you need to install.
    http://www.freewebs.com/gururedeye/xwaallrfontstext.htm
    Just follow the instructions. It works perfectly for me.

19. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Loaded...and playing the first few missions to get used to being back behind the stick.

Patch (lucasarts kept timing out)

Upgrades (though I'm not messing with these until I know it wont screw with connecting)

We should also consider hooking up a "Pod Racer" game. Though not as in depth as running group missions in the X-Wing series, it's pretty damned fun when smack-talking over vent if we could everyone up and running.

D'
    "They come here, they look around, they no buy. Why nobody buys?"

20. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Agreed. It was one of my plans on the back burner to have a CF podracing tournament, but I wanted to to it up right with projectors and everything and I could never find 4 of them at a time.

21. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    One disastrous waste of time at a time please.

Here's the stick I bought. It was pretty cheap and got reasonable reviews. Should be more than enough to blast you ****ers into space dust.

22. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005

23. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Sweet! It arrives today.

I had a Sidewinder Pro for many years but it had a gameport connector so I had to put 'er down many moons ago. It was a sad moment in my gaming life as I had used that stick through thick and thin since 1996. I even played FPS's with the stick (and was good!) which would be unheard of in this day and age. I just couldn't adapt to WASD. I found that for the original TF (the Quakeworld one NOT the Team Fortress Classic version) playing as a sniper with the stick was actually easier because you could be more precise. There was less "noise" so to speak as the mouse is overly sensitive. Then again that was back in the era when hitboxes were massive and a shot in the big toe equaled an exploding player. I guess I could have bought a USB adapter for it but it was time to move on.

24. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    I have the same one, and I agree that it is a solid performer. Sure, the die-hard Falcon 4.0 sim-jockey might need a full Thrustmaster HOTAS setup, but this stick has everything the normal person could possibly need. Good enough for me to take down Scar in Beyond the Red Line, anyway.

25. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I have to make repairs to my custom joystick and throttle yoke. So for now I will be using my force feedback Logitech Wingman.

also does anyone have a copy of Kotor2? I never got a chance to play it and been doing a little kotor at the moment was wanting to get 2 a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.