main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Video Game are you playing?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TheExecutor, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I can send you a copy if you give me your snail-mail addy in PM. Though it may be quicker if you get yours at the same place I got mine.

D'

2. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    My lust for TIE Fighter will have to wait until I get a joystick/gamepad.

Damn.

3. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    You can pick up a wingman at Worst Buy or CC for under $15.00.

I generally don't do well with flight-sticks, but I may try the one Goat just purchased since it's so cheap and everyone seems to like it. My wingman is adequate but not overly precise (or I'm just way out of practice).

I've been DL'ing the graphics upgrades that I put the link for above. They really sweeten the game up, and some provide cool gameplay like destroyable guns on the ISD. The drawback is we would ALL have to have the exact same mods or it wont work in multi-missions. But it take literally 10 seconds to download and install each one.

D'

4. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Would it have killed the guy to bundle all the packs in one download or did I miss that?

Anyways, BtRL is great success (hai five). Scar is dead but probably rezzing somewhere.

5. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Yeah, most of the JKII/JA modders bundle theirs (granted there's literally 10 friggin' million JK mods out there.

Despite the above, I think I'm going to fork over the $30 and get that flight-stick. The game-pad is "adequate" but not having a rudder takes away a lot of the fun and accuracy. The stick on right and the Nostromo gamepad on left will make a quite a technological terror (providing I can get the whole right-brain-left-brain thing sorted out).

D'

6. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Apparently these games don't like dual monitors. All anachronistic complaining aside, Windows shouldn't take a dump just because some 16-bit application wants to go full-screen.

7. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I've got dual monitors running with no problems (granted my CRT is about as old as XWA itself). However, unlike later games, it does not like for you to shell to desktop, and if/when the game crashes, it's hard to shut-down. If you do have to shut the game down from WTM you have to wait a while for it to go through.

D'

8. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    oh blerg!!!

All those mods are now crashing XWA on mission load up. FRAK!

9. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Man, what's wrong with you n**bz? Maybe you should both buy Macs.

D'

10. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Looks like it was the 3D hardware that was messing it up. You mean LA didn't think people would be playing this with SLI enabled? Now who's the n00b?

11. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I would have suggested that, but I figured you needed a challenge in your life.

Federation Landing Crafts abound....

D'
    "Granted, a lesser challenge than your taking me out in my RZ-1."

12. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Bioshock: The Movie?

I didn't like the "Resident Evil" movies. Then again, I didn't play the game. But, given that there is a real director whose name is not spelled U-W-E-B-O-L-L there should be no reason that this is not a creepy-as- **** suspense/horror flick that is a Bag of Win. I've only been playing the game for a couple of weeks, but for the last week or so before I go to bed I turn on all the lights in my apartment and search the entire place for Houdini Splicers.

13. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    That could definitely be win. I guess you really can't fault the director for script shortcomings in the Pirates series. The first was great fun but the second two were lacking. Verbinski did his job the best he could though. If there is no Circus of Values machine this movie is a failure though.

14. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    grrr, now I can't seem to find my cd wallet with all my old games in it including xwa.

15. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    PMOG - It's a great concept, and I am glad that there are creative people out there thinking this stuff up. The downside, and potential for abuse, is that they are tracking every website you go to, when, and for how long.

16. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Anyone DL'ing the XWA upgrades, be careful in some of the standard game missions; I upgraded the Mon Calamari Cruiser "Reef Home One" which makes the model much larger than the stock model (which is supposed to be more to movie scale). However, some of the smaller fleet patrol craft apparently don't adjust to the difference and slam into into it...thus causing you to fail the mission. Probably not a problem with smaller craft upgrades. I can't find any posts at the XWAU website addressing the problem, so it may just be a glitch in my install. A shame, because the upgraded Mon Cal Cruiser looks like it was ripped out of the movie.

D'

17. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    At this point, Dave's not delivering news on the game/mods so much as taunting me for not getting a joystick yet.

18. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    So I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered the 3D Pro joystick. Best Buy's price was nearly double NewEgg's, even after shipping costs ($42 vs $23+8 from NewEgg), so I'll have to suffer through shipping time before I can get in there.

How does the multi-player function work? Does someone set up a host server at home (a la the old Quake and Unreal mechanics), or is there an existing network out there somewhere?

"You said to crush him, right?"

19. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Beats me, I never played online with XWA before. Haz n' Goat will have to come through and prove their non-n**bness on that.

D'

20. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I believe, it has been almost 10 years, that someone hosts a game somewhere and you join it. Trouble is you have to know IP address as this is before the days of every game having an integrated server browser. I read somewhere on one of those sites that people run dedicated servers out there. We just have to find them or figure out how to set it up.

21. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Here's a scene from Portal: The Movie

[image=http://208.116.9.205/10/graphics/pics/11895/1.jpg]

22. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    It's here, it's here! The joystick finally arrived. Now who wants to start a dedicated server, Cajun style?

"I got somethin' on my mind grapes."

23. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm "working from home" today and the wife & kid are on a trip...I think I'll devote my afternoon to getting these games running on my work computer so I can join in the fun.

24. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One

1) Do you like "Penny Arcade" and/or their style of humor?
    2) Do you like point-and-click adventures?

If you can answer "yes" to either of those questions, you will likely enjoy this game. At the very least try the demo. I've spent the last hour combating "tiny acts of vulgarity" with my trusty rake and steering clear of sinister mailboxes that have been, up until now, blissfully empty.

Obviously the strong point of this game is the writing, both in the humor and the storyline. The cel-shaded 3D graphics are entirely appropriate and well done. The combat system can only be described as "real-time turn-based", which you kind of have to see to understand. It's similar to what "Baldur's Gate" and even the beta of "Galaxies" used, but less transparent. It takes a minute or two to get used to, but the system is also very forgiving.

One of the things that has impressed me the most, at least from a technical point of view, is the transition from the 3D action to the 2D cutscenes. In the beginning you create your character, which admittedly has few options, but there are at least 3 different options each for hair, eyes, shirt, jacket, etc. The cool thing is that your character looks the same both in the 3D action and the 2D story mode. It's a simple thing, but it is really well done and if you've ever done any programming, you know that a lot of thought had to go into it to get it right.

All in all, a strong freshman effort. One only hopes that Episode Two will not be too far off. Also, if there is not a Fruit ****** 2000 action figure out there already, there really should be.

25. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    That ass-ssessment of OtRSPoD is right on. Personally, I'm enjoying it immensely. So much so that I recently had this conversation with Femme.

Femme: Want to go for a walk with us (referring to of course our newly minted spawn)
    Goat: Well there are mimes to murder right now.
    Femme: You don't want to go for a walk with your daughter?
    Goat: Ok but when I get back I have to murder some ******* mimes.
    Femme: OK.

I fear that I am just about at the end of Episode 1 but I suspect that these adventures will be released more often than my beloved Half-Life 2.

There are a few graphical anomalies in the game. There are a few pretty weak textures in Pelican Bay when viewed up close they are terrible. This sort of thing is throughout but doesn't detract from the experience at all.

The combat system I am finding quite enjoyably. If you have ever played any of FF games that system is most similar to the PA system. I find myself rarely if ever using any buffs or debuffs. At most I break out a bandage or some gauze.

And yes a Fruit ****** action figure is a must. I was looking for a good Fruit ****** wallpaper but try putting that into Goodle images without safe search on and see what you get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.