main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What was Anakin thinking right before he killed Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Logan La Marco, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Excellent point!

2. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Time to get rid of his saggy old ass once and for all!

3. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    How about "I am even going to be able to kill or overthrow the Emperor in the first place?" If he wouldn't have been able to catch Sidious off by surprise and throw him into a battle station reactor, that probably wouldn't have been able to happen.

Darth Basin likes this.
  4. Darth DoJ

Mar 13, 2016
    What actually caused Vader to fall to the ground/lean on the barrier? He hadn't sustained any injury and he was less likely to experience fatigue as he was a machine, besides Jedi has a lot more stamina than the average man, but he just seems to crumple up as though he's in pain while Luke just carries on hitting his lightsaber (not even trying to hit Vader, just the sword).

Darth Basin and TOASTEROVEN like this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    "I hate this guy more than all the sand in the galaxy! He's done!"

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Darth DoJ, Luke was pounding away with all his strength, slamming Vader back as hard as he could. One of his blows caught Vader off balance as he was trying to backpedal away, and he stumbled and fell. That has happened to me, and it's one of the reasons that good footwork is critically important in swordplay.

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    He was thinking, "Man, you look like Peter Gabriel in the 'old man' mask from 'The Musical Box.'"
    [​IMG]
    In fact, maybe he thought Palps was Peter Gabriel, and he was thinking, "This is for leaving Genesis!"

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    He may have thought, "I'll do what's required." He knew he would die.

Darth Basin and Darth Caliban like this.
  9. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    "Only I'm allowed to kill my own son"... honestly.... I think it was just the fact that Palpatine looked so damn HAPPY torturing Luke, that did Vader in.

The retcon in the PT of course, would've had Vader harking back to Windu's death (and Anakin's lack of action in doing anything to save him).

Darth Basin and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about Darth Vader saying/screaming "no" repeatedly in the newest editions of ROTJ, but I actually think it adds an interesting layer to the scene. Especially the first "No!" is powerful, because it sounds like the beginning of his final push toward the Light; a silent disapproval of his Master's intentions, and an inner revelation that it can be done.

On the other hand, it robs the viewer of the mystery of when he decides to step in and save his son from his Master's assault. I've always loved gazing into those big, blank eyes in the moments before he springs to action, because it made me wonder what exactly was going on in his mind. Did he think of the past? Did he think of Padmé, Obi-Wan, Shmi? Did he think of all the people he had killed in the name of the Empire? Or did he really just think about Luke, who was now at the mercy at the Emperor? His son, who had refused to kill him moments earlier. The only person in so many years, who had openly said he believed in his father's good qualities.

Personally, I think Vader did not really think - he think he just acted on the love he felt for his son.

Or perhaps it happened something like this:

[​IMG]

Where does that burned smell come from?

[​IMG]

*Luke screams out in pain*

[​IMG]

Oh, right! That's why it reminded me of Mustafar!

[​IMG]

... that proves it. He IS my son.

[​IMG]

Come on... just pretend he's Jar Jar. You can do it!

[​IMG]

Geez, this dude is heavy for being so old and crippled and weak!

[​IMG]

... what is that beeping sound? And why do my legs feel so heavy?

[​IMG]

This is for the Jedi!
    And democrachy! And the Tusken Raiders!

[​IMG]

Oh wait... those Tusken Raiders were my doing.

11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    A father coming to his senses. Anakin/Vader was showing the greatest courage of his life.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_rofl]

Dandelo likes this.
  13. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    he could not save shmi, he could not save padme from himself, but he still could save luke. Anakin's whole life was about saving people, its all he wanted to do. he even says it in tpm. he turned to the darkside to save someone from death and it ended up causing her death, and palpatine was the main reason these things happened to him, he was not going to let palpatine take the last bit of padme from the world.

14. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Beautifully said. I agree with all of it. I think that Vader was also angry with Ahsoka for abandoning him, as he perceived her action, and he wanted to punish her and wipe out his past. I imagine that he later regretted this, especially after Luke began his attempt to redeem him. However, I imagine that Padme was the main person he was thinking about in relation to Luke. Any guilt he had for what he did to Ahsoka (if he actually did kill her), would be suppressed, as he suppressed many things. Vader has some severe psychological issues, such as possibly PTSD, BPD, etc. But he's a great character, one of the best written ones in fiction, I'd say. Very dark, scary, and tragic.

15. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    As he's doing the lifting and tossing, I can imagine the last thought he has on the actual matter of killing Palpatine/Sidious before turning back to thoughts of Luke was: I should have done this a long time ago.
    The scene where Anakin finally realizes Palpatine is a Sith Lord in the then Supreme Chancellor's antechamber comes to mind. He nearly killed him then.

16. PTdefender3

PTdefender3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2015
    Did I remember to turn off the Air Conditioning?

PCCViking likes this.
  17. PTdefender3

PTdefender3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2015
    Why do i have to constantly warn people to keep away from the energy binders?

18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    In the words of The Maker:

- The end of the saga is simply Anakin saying, "I care about this person, regardless of what it means to me. I will throw away everything that I have, everything that I've grown to love - primarily the Emperor - and throw away my life, to save this person. And I'm doing it because he has faith in me; he loves me despite all the horrible things I've done. I broke his mother's heart, but he still cares about me, and I can't let that die".

19. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Robot chicken said it best. I can not stand that no in the special edition.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "I wonder if he'll explode when he hits bottom? Let's find out!"

Darth Caliban, Sarge and Darth Basin like this.
  21. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    His mind had 2 b flashing b4 him. He had 2 remember how it happened in Palps office. He probably remembered Plapy's own words, "You have to choose!" Vader did have to choose between his Son or Father Figure (Possible co-creator). He also had to choose life or death.

Anakin chose life. The life of his Son.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  22. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I lost my mother. I lost my wife. I lost my life to the darkness. I will not lose my son.

23. Darth DoJ

Mar 13, 2016
    "Should I remain silent or scream no? Which version is this again?"

Darth Caliban, Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    "I wonder if he can do spinning like I can? It is a good trick after all."

Sarge likes this.
  25. Brando_Calrissian

Brando_Calrissian Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2015
    "Yo Aidrian I did it!"

PCCViking and Sarge like this.