main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What was appointment television for you when you got a rare day off from school?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Some shows that were on in the morning--usually around the time that I'd leave for school--that I rather enjoyed watching, were The Flip Wilson Show, and Sonny and Cher; both aired back-to-back. They were very upbeat, and I absolutely loathed schooled at the time, heh-heh...and they'd prove to brighten my day, along with Sesame Street, Lamb Chop's Play-Along and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. Whenever the opportunity presented itself, I didn't miss any of those shows.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh man I remember Lamb Chop!

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Forgot to mention, Mr. Dressup, loved watching that show when I was younger.

4. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Do you remember The Song That Never Ends?

"This is the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friends..."

Heh-heh, as a kid I'd annoy so many of my family members, going around singing that line over and over. Good times...good times...

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My mom wouldn't let me watch TV if I was sick home.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Didn't the host of that show die hence why it was cancelled?

7. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Miami Vice and Dallas too.

8. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Didn't even realize it was canceled, but yeah, turns out it was due to low ratings. Wow, there were a lot of cancelations in the 90's, that I wasn't even aware of having taken place. Married With Children, 3rd Rock From the Sun, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and now Lamb Chop's Play Along...good thing I didn't know about these cancelations at the time, as my childhood would've been officially ruined.

9. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I once saw an episode of Mr. Rogers where he taught the young viewers how to make an improvisational snack: a slice of cheese wrapped around a banana. My kindergarten self was very proud when I emulated my hero.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Cancellation is different than a show simply ending (as in a planned series finale), or the host dying (though I think she had moved on to do another show). Most kids' shows, with some PBS programs being notable exceptions, get one big order (usually 3 or 4 seasons' worth) and then end. I think it has to do with the nature of animation and how long production time is, and most kids' shows are animated. It may also have to do with preconceived notions of "attention spans." I know Disney Channel or some other channel used to mandate that their shows only run some-odd episodes and then end. Cancellation means the intention was for the show to continue, but the network ended it prematurely (almost always due to low ratings and/or production cost).

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Dance Party USA on the USA channel at 5PM

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I remember watching the Batman/Superman show a lot after school. And Dragonball Z hit a peak in popularity around the time I was getting out of elementary school. I was also a fan of Boy Meets World.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Wow, I'd almost forgotten about that one. That was one of the first programs I discovered when my family got cable.

14. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Can't forget good ol' Supermarket Sweep, the guiltiest pleasure game show ever.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Have you caught Guy's Geocery Games on Food Network yet?

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    one time i was home sick for like two weeks with a bad case of sinusitis or something. i got so sucked into all my children that i faked being sick for another week so i could see what happened.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Most of my friends were watching Pokémon 2nd and 3rd grade. I watched an episode and couldn't understand the point.