main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what was C-3PO talking about in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    In ROTJ at the very beginning c-3po says "lando calrissian and poor chewbacca never returned to this awful place". Lando was planted into jabbas palace but chewbacca didnt get there yet, so what was he talking about??? I was starting to think that this was an actual mistake in the movie but i hope not. Does anyone know why he sed that?:confused:

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not a mistake, just off-screen backstory for that episode.

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I thought it was "...never returned from this place"

Which would make more sense, seeing as 3PO seemed completely unaware of the plan. He would probably hear that Lando and Chewie were going to rescue Han, and when they never came back he suspected the worst.

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    There had obviously been no contact in that time, so in an way, they never had left; they were merely waiting for the opportune moment.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Threepio wasn't privy to any of Luke's plans. Since Threepio is a bit of a blabbermouth, it makes sense not to tell him.

6. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Im sorry it was "never returned from this place" suggesting that chewbacca went to jabbas palace and never walked out but what doesn't make scents is that chewbacca has never been there before and was not planed to be planted there until latter when him and leia arrived. So why did he say that?

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Yep. C-3PO talks too much so they may gave him some misinformation, just to keep him happy.

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    If they were going to give misinformation cos he's a blabbermouth, they certainly wouldn't tell him that other rebels were there :p

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Well, I always thought that because C3PO and R2 were both with Luke, they'd assume that Chewie left already, or possibly he thought Chewie was with Lando. But what doesn't make sense about that, is the suprise 3PO shows when Chewbacca is brough before him and Jabba.

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    IIRC, there was a deleted scene of Luke at Ben Kenobi's house making his lightsaber.

In-universe, I would refer to SOTE

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Yep. R2 was with him, I believe. Luke thought that his lightsaber might blow up, so he left a message with R2 for Leia, IIRC.

I don't think it was a deleted scene though. Wouldn't we have gotten it with the DVD OT?

13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't think 3PO knew anything about the plan. At the end of ESB Lando and Chewbacca go off to save Han, and I don't know what contact (if any) 3PO had with either of them since then. I was also under the impression that 3PO didn't realize that Boushh was really Leia in disguise. I imagine that 3PO had assumed Chewbacca and Lando were captured. I agree with what has been said, I don't think he was kept in the loop when it came to planning Han's rescue.

14. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I think the more likely reason that threpeio was kept out of the loop was that it would ruin the surprise that he was going to be kept by Jabba.

When in doubt, ask the Wookiee

15. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

Why would Lucas release the deleted scenes when he can save them for the next boxset?

16. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Also, if 3PO knew wouldn't he have some sort of obligation to warn Jabba, seeing as Jabba was technically his new master?

17. Chico_Jedi

Chico_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2008
    I always thought it said from. Interesting. [face_thinking]

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It did say from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.