main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was Darth Vader thinking?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by 4LOM, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    In ANH, Vader and Tarkin are in the conference room when someone informs them that the Death Star has just brought aboard the "same ship that blasted its way out of Mos Eisley." I believe then Vader responds, "They must be trying to return the stolen plans to the Princess. She may yet be of some use to us."

What is Vader talking about here? Why would anyone try to return the plans to a person who is being held in maximum security detention in the middle of a huge, armored battle station? It doesn't make sense! Even if non-Rebels found the plans, I think they would try to sell them to whatever Rebel contact they could find, not seek out the Princess, especially not on the Death Star.

Any ideas? A New Hope is my favorite Star Wars movie, but this is one of those things that has always bugged me about it.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Because he probably believed that they were unaware that the Princess had been captured. So their orders were to go to Alderaan where they were to deliver the plans to either Bail Organa or Princess Leia, both of whom were incapicated and even dead in one instance.

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    What he said... they were travelling to Alderaan, not the Death Star.

As to her being some further use, I would think that he probably meant they could use her to set a trap of some sort later on.

4. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Yeah, he was basically saying that's probably why they were in the Alderaan system to begin, because they may have been trying to return the plans.

5. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Thanks, it makes a lot more sense now! This is what comes from seeing the movie 500 times...sometimes my assumptions about what is being said and shown can be way off-base, especially since I first saw it when I was a kid. Thanks again for the help in deciphering Vader's (until now) cryptic remark.

6. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Yeah,I agree.Luke and Han had no idea Leia was captured.Because Luke says "The princess! She's here?!"

:)

7. Da_Joker

Da_Joker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2003
    Obviously, he wasn't.

8. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    hehe a few nights ago i was wondering about the exact same thing. Then i finally decided on what Errant said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.