main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What was Luke actually planning to do with Vader had he turned to the good side on Endor?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chewies_bandolier, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Just watched the end of ROTJ (actually - the good bits of the end, without those blasted ewoks) and was wondering what Luke had actually planned to do with Vader, had he turned to the good side so to speak, and left with him after they meet on Endor.

Vader had such a terrible reputation by this stage, that I honestly have a hard time thinking that the rebellion would have been thrilled had Luke turned up with Vader at his side. Would the two of them have just disappeared? Would Vader have secretly have helped the rebellion defeat the Empire from the shadows?

I would have thought that Luke would either have put some thought into the plan since he seemed so disappointed that Vader did turn him over to the emperor.. or maybe .. that was the plan all along.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Luke would've taken Vader back to the Rebels and told the high command that Vader had surrendered to them and was willing to help them defeat the Empire. Considering that he is the only other guy other than the Emperor himself with inside knowledge of how the Empire worked, they would have been foolish to not spare Vader though he would've been kept under tight security.

At least that's what I think would have happened.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's what I think as well.

4. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Luke would have taken Vader back to the Ewok village, then got him to sing 'Yub Nub' in his James Earl Jones voice

5. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Would like to see that scene badly! I think after five minutes he would turn bad again and even be more evil than Sheev...

6. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    Possibly [face_laugh]

I've heard Vader's ghost appears during the 'Yub Nub' song se he can get in on the sing a long. But Lucas deleted it.

7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Maybe the reason the Jedi lost the force ghost technique was the force searching to prevent a singing force ghost, but it wasn't succesful and therefore the galaxy got in trouble again!

PHIERY likes this.
  8. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Vader: [inspects Luke's lightsaber] I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete. [turns off the lightsaber again] Indeed you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen.Luke: Come with me.Vader: Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the power of the dark side! I must obey my master.

I think they would have disappeared.

9. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    Maybe the reason the Jedi lost the force ghost technique was the force searching to prevent a singing force ghost, but it wasn't succesful and therefore the galaxy got in trouble again! [/quote]
    [face_laugh] I have no doubt that's why the galaxy got in trouble again ***SPOILER*** Kylo Ren's "I'll finish what you started" is about the 'Yub Nub' song.
    Force Ghost Qui-Gon hasn't spoken to all 3 Ghosts in over 30 years. Anakins involvement was bad enough. But when force ghosts Yoda and old Ben supplied the vocals for the chorus, Qui-Gon completely lost it and took away all force ghost privileges.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, if ROTJ "Infinities" is anything to go off of...

[​IMG]

11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I was never fond of the completely white costume, though. It seemed both impractical for Vader to change into an all white version of obsolete armor, and for him to pic pure, all white at all. I always imagined he would have changed out the robes, but would have kept the armor as was, or at least upgraded to something better.
    [​IMG]

12. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    When I was a kid, I figured he'd hide Vader in a cave on Endor until he could give him something of an "image upgrade".(I.E. get rid of his spooky Sith trappings) And let Leia and some of his closest friends know what had happened. Since The Empire was defeated, I never considered him really "joining" the Rebellion. (Unlikely many would trust him if he tried) I figured he'd go off and live some kind of humble life of seclusion, not unlike Obi-Wan between ROTS & ANH.

jc1138 and Sarge like this.
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Holy hell what did the author do to Luke's eyes

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It was kind of a nod towards the white knight/black knight duality. Or white hat and black hat.

Eh, not every artist is good at replicating an actor's face.

15. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I think Luke knew from the beginning that Vader would turn him over to the Emperor and that confrontation was inevitable. After decades of being a Sith lord, one conversation with his son was not going to turn him back. Having said that, if Vader did turn on Endor, I think they would have returned to the Death Star to kill the Emperor anyway (pretend he was turning Luke over). But it still raises the problem of what happens to Vader when they return. With the Emperor dead, would they have viewed that as mitigation that absolved him of all his prior sins? Have him stand trial? They could have used him to formally disband the Empire and crush any remnants of the military.

16. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I guess we'd have to take into account Luke's high standing within the Rebellion, as well as Anakin's record when they were on the same side. The rebels have never acted too brashly out of emotions, so I'd just expect Vader to be spared.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    He's been smoking the good stuff. He raided Yoda's stash before leaving Dagobah.

I understand what it's meant to symbolize, I just don't like it from an aesthetics point of view. :p

18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, he looks more like "Red 420, standing by, duuuuude."

At the point where Luke surrenders I think the plan was to team up against the Emperor, thwart his plans and then go into seclusion. They had a lot to learn from each other. Besides, I don't think Vader would've gone with Luke to the Rebels at that initial stage anyway. Perhaps had he lived after his epiphany aboard the Death Star, but even then, I don't think Mon Mothma and Co. would be as quick to accept Vader's "My bad." as Luke.

Deliveranze and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  19. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    If anything else, Mon Mothma and Co. would have a huge security issue to deal with. They'd have to worry about:

-> Any Imperial fleet/sympathizers attempting to rescue Vader.
    -> Any furious Rebel who wished to exact revenge by murdering Vader.
    -> Vader only acting as the mole, his 'redemption' wasn't as genuine as Luke claimed.

We've got to realize, this is the second most evil man in the galaxy and had spent 24 years up to this point helping to make the galaxy a living hell for those who were unfortunate enough to be born in it. One dude saying, "He's changed now. Look! He saved me from the Emperor!" will not wash all those years of atrocities away. There's a damned good reason why Vader told Luke, "It is too late for me, my son."

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Vader could also persuade huge chunks of the imperial army to surrender. That's the kind of influence you don't just throw away. I always thought the Rebels were pragmatic rather than overly idealistic.

And Vader/Anakin, being as smart as he was, would probably secure his freedom. Because you can't do much good for the galaxy when you are in jail. And I would think he'd want to atone by actively bettering the Galaxy.

I would kinda like to read a fanficion about this.

21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I enjoyed reading those. They should make Infinities for the prequels.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Satele, my favorite PT Infinities is darthsanddroids.net

23. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Well, he does inform Leia of his plan ahead of time (“I can turn him back to the good side.”). Anakin probably would’ve provided them with some key strategic information in order to gain their trust (“this whole Endor thing is a trap. But the Emperor has this secret place he goes to that only I know about. I can help you get in there without him detecting you until you want him to.”)

To be honest, it would’ve likely been a VERY hard sell. There’s a reason Lucas had him die at the end.

24. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    If Luke had convinced DV to turn from the dark side on Endor, I agree with posters above that DV would have given information to Luke about the Empire, then gone into retreat. The way I see DV, he is exceptionally powerful but channels his strength from the dark side, fed by anger, hate, determination to unite the galaxy under one rule, etc. I don't think he would want to make a plan to team up with Luke to take out the Emperor, that sounds just like his ESB plan when he was still much more under the dark side's spell. After leaving the dark side, I certainly see Anakin attempting to shed all the Vader trappings he could, helmet, armor, and so forth, perhaps allowing his body to die (I actually think this is the most likely consequence of him turning away from the dark side, which is what happens after he does turn in RotJ). If he did chose to live he would still need some form of life-support, but I think it would look very different--not made to intimidate or for battle. Perhaps he would exile himself to a planet like Dagobah, to meditate and speak with Luke (and/or Leia if she would be willing). I doubt he would want to go around and try to atone for his past deeds.

Let's just say, I'm glad we got the story we did!

Sarge likes this.
  25. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I don't think Luke had anything planned if he had gotten Vader to turn back to the light side of the Force. I think the way the movie played out is exactly what Luke envisioned. I believe Luke knew the only way to defeat the Emperor was to turn Vader to good, but he also knew doing so was going to ultimately kill his father. For Vader to turn good and redeem himself, he had to kill Palpatine. Luke couldn't be the one to do it. Luke killing the Emperor may have galvanized his relationship with Vader, but it doesn't redeem Vader. And since Luke would have to embrace his anger and hatred to kill Palpatine, it would mean Luke starts the path to the Dark side. Vader's killing of the Emperor, while it redeemed him, also cut off part of what was keeping him alive. Vader needed the hatred and anger to keep the Dark side strong in him and ultimately help him sustain his life.