main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What was Luke actually planning to do with Vader had he turned to the good side on Endor?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chewies_bandolier, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    SOTE gave the impression that Vader needed to use the darkside to stay alive without using his life support system. It doesn't seem to be canon anymore, therefore the question i have is: Would Anakin be able to heal himself completely by using the lightside and how long would it take?

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    We actually don't know if Jedi can heal themselves. They definitely don't seem capable of restoring missing limbs or otherwise Anakin and Luke wouldn't run around with prosthetics.

Sith-I-5 and Darth Caliban like this.
  3. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Vader seemed to think in it during his darkside meditation that he would be able to restore himself by mastering the darkside. Only his joy at his nonpermanent successes appeared to be contraproductive.

4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I liked Shadows of the Empire, but it is now an old book in a discarded continuity. In the new canon Vader seems to accepted his cybernetic, indeed he views himself as an efficient fusion of man and machine.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  5. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Yes, that is a change i really like. I just wonder how Anakin would have seen his condition if he had survived Endor and would he have been able to restore himself to be a real human being again?

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Dunno. Imo he is a real human being, because as Yoda said "enlightened beings are we, not this crude matter". The cybernetics aren't evil themselves.

7. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    That's right! I also don't think he could have done anything forcebased to return to his former biological condition if a powerful forcewielder as Snoke doesn't seem able to do so. Except that one needed to use a forcepower that Snoke can't use for now...

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Luke didn't know and you can see it on his face when Vader refuses to listen to him on Endor and later when he's rescued. All Luke could do was make it up as he went along.

9. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014

I didn't mean that Luke could foresee the events as they actually happened. I merely meant that Luke knew he needed the end result to happen. Which was Vader destroying the Emperor.

10. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I concur.
    After Dagobah, Luke clearly has a lot on his mind. He now knows that Vader is his father and, at least as far as he understands it, Obi-Wan told him that he must confront and kill his father. Luke isn't comfortable with this.
    So when he meets up with Leia and the rest, he has a lot to deal with but he comes along to help his friends and the rebellion.
    He didn't think that Vader would be there and he is clearly worried when he senses him. He realizes that if he can sense Vader then Vader can sense him and this could ruin the mission.
    But they land and the mission goes on. Then Luke sense Vader being on Endor.

The editing here is a bit odd, Vader wasn't yet on Endor when Luke talked to Leia. We see a shuttle land and Vader walk out as the walker approaches the base and Luke is on that walker.
    But maybe he saw the future.

Anyway, Luke knows that Vader is on Endor and why. If he stays, Vader would search for him and this could ruin their mission and ruin their chance to destroy the DS2.
    He can't leave at he needs a code for that and if Vader is on Endor looking for him, their code would most certainly not work.
    So he can't stay and he can't leave. So he makes a foolish/daring/bold/compassionate move and surrenders to Vader. He hopes that he can reach his father and get him to let go of his hate.
    What he would do after that, I think, was not something Luke had any clear idea of. He was winging it.

Had Vader turned back then staying might not have been an option as Palpatine would grow suspicious. Vader could have warned of the trap and Luke might have been able to warn Han about it. They could leave in the shuttle, after taking out the pilots. Vader has a valid code but as soon as they are past the shield, they could flee. This might distract Palpatine long enough for Han to blow up the shield and the rebels to destroy the DS.

But as I said, Luke was basically flying by the seat of his pants.

Bye for now
    Old Stoneface

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I don't think that he knew that much. At the most, Luke wanted Vader to own up to being Anakin and to turn away from the dark side and go with him away. Maybe to Dagobah. But somewhere safe until they could truly hash it out and settle everything, before they could even truly think about tackling Palpatine. But it was during the duel that Luke felt that he needed to reach him, because now they were there together. All three of them. And if he was going to stand a chance against Palpatine, he needed his father's help.

12. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    In the Lego Star Wars video game, Luke and Vader team up to fight the Emperor together. Obviously this is NOT canon, but I'm just saying the idea isn't that far fetched.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Now I need to play that all the way through.

SegNerd likes this.
  14. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    I love all the Lego games - although to be fair, the emphasis isn't really on combat. Also, some of them are really buggy...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I think Luke would have tried to convince the Rebel High Command that Vader was good now and instrumental in defeating the Emperor. The Rebels would have told Luke Vader was to be put on trial for his crimes and most likely executed if found guilty. It's like the Allies brining in Hitler and saying, he's changed now….it's okay now lol. I could not see the Rebels (or any planetary system) accepting that Vader is good now.

Luke, realizing this, breaks his father free and they go off to live in hiding, discovering more about the Force from his Father.

16. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Crazy Thought. Perhaps Luke just burnt Vader's armor. Rebels showed Yoda communicating with Kanaan from a distance. That's indicating that living Jedi can project themselves as force ghosts. Maybe Anakin is still alive and Luke is with him at the End of TFA on Skellig. Maybe he's communicating with Kylo to bring him back to the Light. We first think that are just Hallucinations until the End of the Movie...

Edit: For clarity: Anakin kept some parts of his life support system. Just the non essential parts (armor, plating, etc) were burnt and his "dying" wasn't what we thought, but he simply lost consciousness. He just believed he was going to die.

17. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    I know, waiting for TFA is driving me mad!

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Darth Caliban, if Vader lived, how did he have a Force ghost on Endor?

He's an ex-Sith. He's shuffled off this mortal coil. He wouldn't voom if you shot ten thousand volts through him, which Palps did.

19. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I think Luke didn't really plan that far ahead.
    Kind of like when he's on the DS2 and he declares himself a Jedi and tosses away his lightsaber. He was living in the moment and not really thinking ahead.

Sarge likes this.
  20. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Eh, more like Hermann Goring. Palpatine is and always will be the Hitler analog.

21. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    You seem to have not read my whole post. I think as hinted at in Rebels that living force users can appear as force ghosts without dying or disappearing!

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've never seen Rebels.

23. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    There was an episode with Ezra and Kanaan in an Jedi Temple on Lothal, in which Yoda appeared and communicated with them.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Path_of_the_Jedi

24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed. He did what he thought was right at the time.

25. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    I think he was just acting on love,no plan. Maybe he would train him or have Vader be a mole? Assassinate Sidious? Win the empire from Sidious in a game of Sabac?

Sarge likes this.