main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was Luke's plan in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Cain_008, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cain_008

Cain_008 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    Here's what I don't understand: When Luke is getting ready to be pushed into the sarlacc pit R2 shoots his lightsaber to him. Judging by lukes use of a blaster earlier in jabbas palace to kill jabba, instead of a lightsaber we are to assume that R2 had it the entire time. Why would luke give R2 his lightsaber, instead of just using on jabba in the first place. That way he wouldn't have to jump around yachts killing people. plus in the unlikely event that luke fell into jabbas ranchor trap he could use his lightsaber on the ranchor. The whole R2 plan just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

2. Absydian

Absydian Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2004
    Through the force you see many things, the future, the past...

3. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
  4. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Basically Jabba's palace was extremely well guarded. I don't think he could of staged an escape half as well within the confines of the palace. Certainly he would've survived however, I doubt that all of his friends could've said the same thing.

And it was a rescue mission if he had intended to utterly destroy the Hutt all he would've had to do was set the Rancor loose on them.

5. bouj

bouj Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2004
    The R2 plan was the plan that Luke was going to use if he couldn't sweet-talk Han and the others out. But I suspect Luke knew that wasn't going to happen anyway.

In the novelization, while on the way to the Pit of Carkoon, Luke tells Han something about needing to get everyone out of the palace in order to rescue them. I think Luke knew all along that he had to find a way to get everyone outside the palace, and that if he had gone in with his lightsaber on his belt, he'd have gotten that confiscated at some point. Hiding it in R2 was just thinking ahead, since that was the only way to have access to the saber during a rescue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.