main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What was Obi Wan's plan on Kamino?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Dark Ferus, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    You realise that Obi-Wan didn't watch a blu-ray of AotC before he went on his mission right? You also know that he'd already witnessed Jango using a deadly accomplice on Coruscant right? Finally you're aware that it's not uncommon for criminals & killers to be part of a crew or have thugs/goons/heavies with them right? Ok good. So if you know all of that then why question how Obi-Wan could not assume that when he caught up with Jango the situation would allow him to calmly wait around for hours or days to be picked up? As opposed to taking a ship that allows for a quick getaway with his target.
    What room? Obi-Wan could've caught up with Jango in any kind of location or environment throughout the galaxy. You're saying he could count on there being some handy lockable room there?!? Can we pls maintain a level of rationality in this discussion.
    [face_laugh] Obi-Wan couldn't handle one thug. His name was Jango. Imagine if he had another 20 goons with him. This isn't The Force Unleashed you know. The Jedi aren't invincible. In case you didn't notice, many of them were killed by "dudes" with blasters at the end of RotS.
    Bruce was smart enough to plan a super-quick getaway. Which he absolutely needed. That's what often happens in hostile missions. You may not be able to sit around having a cup of tea while waiting for a ride.
    But it's about risk-minimization. A ship can be hidden somewhere. It has a droid who can use the ship's defenses if necessary, or take off to safety. Is it still at some risk? Of course. Nothing compared to a hyperspace engine floating alone & unprotected in space. Fact is the Jedi's enemies would know those fighters require a ring. So when they see the ship, they know they can easily take out it's only means of leaving that system. Ridiculously vulnerable.
    Of course there was lots of risk. But the Empire had just taken to destroying whole planets. A greater risk was doing nothing. Leia didn't press the point with Han about being tracked. She didn't ask him to take her somewhere else. She risked everything to allow the DS to come to them. To where their starfighters were. She gambled that a weakness could be found & that they'd succeed. It was likely the only chance they'd get. If she didn't do that the Rebels would need to find a weakness then find the DS somewhere in Imperial space, & hope that it wasn't surrounded by a bunch of Star Destroyers. In the meantime it could've destroyed some more planets. It was an enormously high-risk strategy that paid off.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't forget that Jango knows Kamino better than Obi-Wan does. Boba too.
    Locking both of them in a room won't be much help I think.

3. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    [face_laugh] Just imagining Obi-Wan holding closed the door of this room with all of his strength as Jango & Boba try to break out of it. Shouting into his comlink back to Coruscant "how long did you say? 8 hours!? Can you please hurry up!? I don't think I can hold them in that long!!".

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And wouldn't the Kaminoans be more sympathetic to Jango and Boba? Why should they take Obi-Wan's word as law?
    They aren't in the Republic.

5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    & most importantly, Obi-Wan thought Kamino was just going to be his first lead among many to find Jango. When he finally caught him he could've been anywhere. He sure couldn't assume there'd be convenient lockable rooms there. Or friendly folk willing to help him out.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

BTW...

Did you know you just "performed" AOTC?

All that surreal beheading imagery. [face_hypnotized]

7. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    deleted

Cryogenic likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Did you mean to say something or what?

Cryogenic likes this.
  9. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

His post got Force ghosted.

But think about it:

Liam Qui-Gon as a Force ghost in the third installment of two big movie mythologies.

10. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Haha, Fett, give a guy a second to work with his slight weapons malfunctions. [face_laugh]

But yes, haha, that's what I was trying to say. Thanks Cryo, for tipping my shot in for me. [face_peace] :cool:

Cryogenic likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Darth Downunder
    you talked of cohorts and co-conspirators ages ago .
    You're very happy to put up any number of hypothetical problems for others to answer but you don't like it when your own scenario is questioned .
    I asked , several times , what Kenobi would do if he encountered other co-conspirators , your constant reply is to refer to his mission statement of bringing in only one particular person , because you've no answer , I've replied this is no solution , it's a terrible idea it would mean letting the bad guys get away , Mace would not be pleased .

why would I complain to Lucas about your bad ideas ?
    Lucas's Kenobi is perfectly capable of improvising , yours clearly isn't .

It's not the mission that's unreasonable , it's your terrible re-writes of Kenobi , you paint him as a witless coward , too scared to board Slave1 , can't get past a 10 year old , can't improvise and if he encounters any other baddies he just ignores them , lets them go and he acts like a pedantic robot repeating his mission statement over and over .

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Someone else was probably using the paddy wagon. Plus the paddy wagon probably wasn't as cool looking and symbolically meaningful as Obi-Wan flying around in a mini Star Destroyer, so I'm cool with aesthetic winning out over this type of nit picker logic.

As always, I find I'm more forgiving of the small stuff if the characters, story, and visual style are on point, and boy did AOTC excel in all of those areas for my money.

13. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Indeed, a "mini Star Destroyer", plus a stealthy "toxic dart", a dagger, an arrow, a fragment; not completely dissimilar to that other ship Anakin and Padme ride around in...

And it "explodes" out of hyperspace, right after the incumbent Queen of Naboo patches over the tension that momentarily erupts between Anakin and Padme, with a discreet, discussion-ending, "Perfect. It's settled, then." A *wham* on Anakin's emotions. A "more civilized age" where dagger ships poignantly communicate violent foreclosure and the hasty silencing of uncomfortable dissent. Anakin's vibrant mind is "shut down" -- "Shut me down. Machines making machines. How perverse" -- and volatile energies are sealed inside, leading to self-censorship ("Jedi don't have nightmares"), and dangerously building to rage, hate, and murder. Lose the ship, lose the poetry.

Yes. It is a near-perfect union of those core elements. Probably the most visionary and hallucinogenic of all the Star Wars movies.

14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I thought he was there to investigate the creation of the clone army with the info he got from Dex, plain and simple.

15. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    To investigate the clone army he only discovered existed once he got there? I'm pretty sure that wasn't his ORIGINAL plan...

16. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Not sure what you're talking about. What most of us have been discussing is Obi-Wan's planning & decisions before he left for this mission. Based on the knowledge he had & his mission objective. This is very simple. He's to track down & catch the killer who hired Zam. Obviously he needs to be able to bring the guy back if successful (since the Jedi aren't killers). & he can't assume he'll find him in a safe & secure place that will allow him to wait around for a transport to eventually turn up. So a craft with enough room to bring back his target immediately is a no-brainer. Like I said, it would have to be reasonably common for the Jedi to need to go in & rescue a fellow Jedi or other VIP from a dangerous situation. They aren't taking a one-man fighter to do that. So there must've been a better option.
    You haven't effectively questioned it & it isn't my scenario. It's the movie's scenario. Although it would be obvious that this killer may not work alone Obi-Wan was still specifically charged with only bringing him in. That's the story that the movie presents. In addition, the resistance Obi-Wan must consider when planning his mission is not "co-conspirators". Zam wasn't a co-conspirator, she was a hired thug. Obi-Wan would have to think he may catch this killer in a nasty dangerous place full of other criminals. The only relevant point is, there's no way Obi could assume to be able to wait around safely with a prisoner in that location to be picked up. But that's exactly what he'd be forced to do with a one-man ship. That's crazy.
    Of course he would. He'd have the guy who hired Zam & was trying to kill Padme. They can question him & take it from there. If Mace had meant for every single one of this guy's thugs, goons & associates to be brought in he would've sent a dozen Jedi in large cruiser. Obi-Wan's mission was to locate & extract one specific target. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Darth Downunder
    you've been discussing plenty of hypothetical situations as well .
    can't see how you don't know what I'm talking about , I've mentioned Kenobi encountering the co-conspirators in many posts as part of my questions to you , and you brought them up yourself earlier on in the thread .

And yet you argued earlier that his co-conspirators might turn up to aid Jango , maybe you're forgetting your own arguments .
    I've questioned your scenario where he goes back to Coruscant having encountered co-conspirators and done nothing to apprehend them . I've challenged you on it many times , I've stopped asking you because you made it clear you had no answer other than chanting that Kenobi only needs to catch Jango

I've also made it clear that I don't agree with the picture of Kenobi you've created -
    you paint him as a witless coward , too scared to board Slave1 , can't get past a 10 year old , can't improvise and if he encounters any other baddies he just ignores them , lets them go and he acts like a pedantic robot repeating his mission statement over and over .

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    And if they did show up, he'd deal with them. He's a Jedi. One Jedi Knight is worth one hundred warriors, per Mace Windu. If Luke Skywalker can take out Jabba's goons with less than a year's worth of Jedi training, then Obi-wan should be able to handle a few accomplices.

Jango and Boba's quarters, if he caught him on Kamino. If he caught them before they got to Geonosis, then he'd use Slave I to take them back or if Dooku was actually on the up and up, lock him in the same brig he was.

Obi-wan was trying to take Jango alive, which is different from when Mace just kills him in three easy steps.

[​IMG]

As to the other Jedi, they were taken unaware by the clones that were their allies. Far different from the Jedi who is prepared for an attack. Such as when he and Yoda fought their way into the Temple.

[​IMG]

Considering Obi-wan did that on Utapau and Yoda on Kashyyyk, I'd say it's not an issue.

And yet, Jango didn't go looking for either item which makes him a dumbass.

By sheer luck and not thinking it out logically. She took a big chance that they could stop the Death Star. No matter what.

19. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    That's a good question. It almost seems as if Kenobi didn't mean to find him and just went to gather information.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  20. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Despite your proposition is the most practical, I think the darkspine10 nailed it, it is more artsy. ;) And I'm shocked that this is already a 12-th page of the thread that could already be named: why Obi Wan didn't read the plot of George Lucas or why Obi Wan was absent of the math clases on the Jedi school as he didin't predict all the possible options and only the probable ones.

MarcJordan likes this.
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    They actually talk about this on the DVD commentary. They considered this detail but decided it wasn't important enough to come up with an explanation for because only the nitpickiest of nitpickers would even notice or care. It's a plot hole on the level of, "How was Porkins going to eject given that he isn't wearing a sealed helmet?" Who cares? Use your imagination to come up with an explanation if it bothers you that much, it isn't that hard.

My explanation? Obi was going to stuff him in the trunk.

edit: Ahaha whoops. Beaten by the post right above me.

Tonyg and MarcJordan like this.
  22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's my belief that Obi-Wan was, in perfect irony, overconfident of his ability to apprehend Jango and/or didn't exactly expect to be confronting a fully geared up and jetpack-wearing bounty hunter

Without the "stuff him in the cockpit with him and asking politely not to screw with him" idea, the second most logical thing (however far logic gets here) would be to contact the Jedi again and wait for them to arrive. Even though Jango would most likely try to escape again and the Kaminoans would definitely react with a "what the frig is going on here" confusion

jakobitis89 likes this.
  23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I always assumed that the whole cockpit would eject . have they ever showed an x-wing pilot ejecting in any of the cartoons etc. I wonder .

Tonyg likes this.
  24. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Even though it's a minor flaw in the story, it becomes very annoying when you think about it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I think it was just to investigate. Obi had no idea who the assassin was, even when he discovered Jango there was no evidence to say it was him (well maybe Jango's back pack). I think Obi just put 2 and 2 together, the darts from Kamino and this bounty hunter has a back pack that looks like the one the assassin used in his escape. Also by the reaction of Jango getting out of there asap, making it look like he knew more then he was telling.

That was probably Obi's plan, just go there and find out as much as you can. It just so happened he got lucky and found the assassin by accident.

Iron_lord likes this.