main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What was Palpatine's actual plan?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Andrelious, May 20, 2016.

1. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

awww.... No love for dex?

Always loved him...This old and worn traveler. Has seen the galaxy over and back again, prob has done everything he ever wanted too, and now decides it's time to retire and just hang out...So buys a diner and just settles down.

Reminds me of how at any point, any of us can run into a Dex if we would only listen. How those older generations, the old timers, sitting in the corner of a diner, or a barber shop, have stories to tell of their lives, and their adventures. Especially those that fought in WW2. If only we'd listen!

Subtext Mining, AshiusX and Tonyg like this.
  2. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    I disagree completely. Why would Palpatine voluntarily place himself in mortal danger? He wouldn't. Palpatine was in control the whole time, even if that merely means he knew the outcome of the events before hand.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

But he didn't know everything. Palpatine is not that omnipotent. He didn't know that Anakin wouldn't turn when he killed Obi-wan. He didn't know that Obi-wan would survive fighting Dooku. There's no way he would know that the Invisible Hand would shot down and that Anakin would be able to land the ship without getting them killed.. He didn't know that Maul would be cut in two by Obi-wan. He didn't know that Anakin would be burned up. He didn't know that Luke wouldn't turn and that Vader would betray him as he did. He didn't know that the Ewoks would help the Alliance. Nor the Gungans help the Naboo.

4. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    I'm not describing him as being omnipotent. I'm merely saying if you're controlling all the pieces on the board, you're not in danger. Palpatine wouldn't gambit his life for no reason. Why would he ask Grievous to abduct him in the first place? Palpatine doesn't do things for no reason. It was always his intent to be rescued. One wouldn't initiate such a plan unless they knew they were safe.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine ordered his kidnapping because he wanted to turn Anakin and remove Dooku. And to do that, it was staged as a battle. But within the battle are uncertain elements. Elements that Palpatine cannot see. Always in motion is the future. He did not see the Invisible Hand being severely damaged. Nor does he know what will happen when that happens. He can manipulate people and events, but he cannot control the unknown factor. The random chance that occurs when even the staunchest Jedi and Sith plan things in detail.

6. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Palpatine's plan was to rule the galaxy, and was willing to improvise situations to his advantage. I have always wondered if Palpatine knew the prophecy of the Chosen One better than the Jedi themselves. That has always been in the back of my mind as he seems to be a couple of steps ahead of the Jedi, and knew if Anakin had any children, they would impose a threat to Vader and Darth Sidious.