main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was Palpy thinking????

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Qui-Gon-Jinn2, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon-Jinn2

Qui-Gon-Jinn2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 10, 2002
    When he told Luke to strike him down. How could he be so sure that Vader would protevt him, since he already sensed he was going to try and overthrow him? It didn't seem like he had any sort of defense either.

Just a quick question...

Thoughts?

2. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    I think it was more of a test to see if Luke could be tempted so easily. He wanted to see if Luke's filter to the dark side would fail once Luke knew that he was in a defenseless state. And also I think he was testing Vader to see if he could overcome his "son" conflict. Besides I'm sure he would've used force lightning to put him down.

Just imagine one moment Palpy is looking all stern faced with his eyes closed, the next he's looking maniclly with his eyes wide open electruting him.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Perhaps he was thinking that even if Luke had cut him down, he had still won. Luke would've killed out of anger and fear, a path that would've led him to the darkside. So Palpatine would have won even in death of turning Luke to the Dark Side.

4. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    The Emporer was confident that Vader would protect him.
    Yes, there was a conflict in Vader, and perhaps Palpatine sensed it, but at that time, Vader still followed his Master and obeyed his command. It wasn't until Vader saw his own son dying that he finally decided to turn.

5. Qui-Gon-Jinn2

Qui-Gon-Jinn2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 10, 2002
    I didn't really mean conflict. At that time Vader want to take Luke and kill the emperor. Doesn't that seem risky? Trusting your life to someone who pretty much wants you dead?

I like the idea of Palpy winning even in death.

6. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Palpy wouldn't have won in death. He would have lost his Empire, his life, and (agreeably) his health, for what? Vader (on the verge of renowncing his hate) to inherit the Empire? I think Palpy had something planned in case Vader didn't protect him. Or maybe not, he was extermly arrogent and thought everything would happen as he saw it. Forgot, he did, that always in motion is the future.

Luke cutting down Palpy before the battle began in ernest would be a good discussion. What would have happened?

7. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Vader stopped lasers from Han's blaster.

Maybe Palpatine has so much control over the Force that he can actually stop a lightsaber beam.

I guess Ep. III would be the only way to answer that. Until then, it's just a theory, and a much more reliable explanation of this would be that Palpatine simply had foreseen another outcome altogether, and believed it would go according to that. After all, up to that point, it had.

8. undergroundrar

undergroundrar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Palps knew Vader would protect him.

Vader, though, didn't want Luke to kill the Emperor in fear that he'd return to his friends after. He thought that such an act wouldn't truly push him to the Dark Side, and needed more coaxing to full drive him from the light side.

Then again, this comes from the Return of the Jedi novel, so.

9. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    "Your overconfidence is your weakness."

Cometgreen

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Exactly so.

Palpatine's pretty smug in the PT, but by the time we get to ROTJ he's incredibly confident :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.