main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was so bad about Hero's Trial?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by zacarino13, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacarino13

zacarino13 Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    I just finished reading it and I thought it was good. The story was...alright but it was nice to see ol' Han in action. I like Droma...though I do miss Chewie...What do you think?

2. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Nothing's so bad about Hero's Trial. I rather liked it.

3. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    It's my favorite book of the NJO. I finsihed it within hours of buying it and then read it again and again. I think I'n on the 10th reading now and why start such a negatively titled thread?

4. zacarino13

Mar 10, 2002
    Sorry...I've heard negative things about this book and yes I liked it also.

5. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    HT was great, one of the best.

6. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    I didn't like his writing style, though i liked it in Darth maul sabeteur. Sabacc rules were cool too, i even made a deck.

7. zacarino13

Mar 10, 2002
    Yeah Sabacc was one of the better parts...though Han leaving Leah at the end was good too.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I was one of those readers who didn't like it. I found it to be somewhat verbose and slow-paced. I actually think I even considered somewhat dull...especially when compared to the books it was following--namely, the "Dark Tide" novels.

What I did like about "Agents of Chaos", though, was the comic relief. I actually laughed out loud and a number of things. :)

9. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I haven't heard that many negative things about the book. In fact, as far as I know, it's one of the least complained-about novels of the NJO series.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Up until SBS came out, Hero's Trial was my favorite NJO book.

11. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    It was ok, not great, I liked Jedi Eclipse better. Since this was his third SW book (Do I have that right?) I think he finally got the hang of it.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Order of printing for luceno's books as I recall was:

Hero's trial
    Jedi Eclipse
    Saboteur
    Cloak of Deception

13. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Thanks Val, yup, Jedi Eclipse IMO was the best of the bunch.

14. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    i'm sorry but i didn't like hero's trial or jedi eclipse. it's been a really long time since i've read hero's trial and i don't really remember why i didn't like it... i just remember that i didn't like it. i recently reread jedi eclipse, i stopped about 3 chapters from the end coz i just couldn't read it anymore. i'm sorry for those who do like and please don't take it personally but it sucked more the second time then it did the first time.

~NiKe SKyLaRK~

15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I liked Hero's Trial because of the humor, and seeing Roa again. I also liked the Elan and Vergere plot.

16. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Roa and Droma were great characters in Hero's Trial. Even though I hated the estrangement storyline, I still enjoyed reading Hero's Trial.

17. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I liked that fact that Hero's Trial had Bullox in it. (It was Bullox, I just know it!)

18. Roa

Roa Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2002
    Bullox was in Jedi Eclipse, not Hero's Trial. I thought Hero's Trial was one of the best NJO books. The only one I like more is Dark Tide: Ruin. I liked seeing Roa again and Droma was cool. The Elan and Vergere plot was also intersting. I also thought the Peace Brigade was interesting.

19. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Nothing bad at all.

Droma and Roa were GREAT! I hope Droma returns, but what happened to Roa? Did he die?

It's a good book, but SBS takes the biscuit I'm afraid.

20. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    I seriously disliked it. I just couldn't see Han wandering the galaxy when he knows that the Vong were responsible for killing Chewie. He's a man of action, and to see him wandering the galaxy just doesn't strike me as something Han would do.

And that Droma thing was as annoying as Jar-Jar.

21. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Heh, I can see it now. "Action-Han": the 1-Man Vong Wrecking Crew.

Hero's Trial still ranks as my favorite out of the NJO books.

22. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Han knew about the Vong shipyard on Belkadaan. Just load the Falcon up with proton torpedoes or concussion missiles and go inflict some damage.

23. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Preferred JE, but enjoyed HT thourghly

24. KenixKil

KenixKil Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2002
    In my humble opinion, Hero's Trial is the best so far(including SBS). Just good to see something other than Jedi's levatating things every 5 minutes. I say bring back the bounty hunters!

25. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    It was good to see something besides lightsabers and Jedi in-fighting, but I was hoping for more, and I think that's why I didn't like it so much.

And it's not that I didn't like it, it's that it was so hard for me to get through. I literally had to force myself to read it, which is not a good thing for me, because it takes me a long time to do that.

And the Han/Leia seperation was not cool. I would have thought that if anything he would've come closer to Leia, and it was just an odd twist. It seemed contrived to me, just a plot to keep people on the edge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.