main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was Tarkin thinking when Vader said "today will mark the end for the Rebels"?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by i_dont_know, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Near the end of ANH Vader says (referring to that day):
    "It has seen the end of Obi-Wan, and it will soon see the end of the Rebel Alliance" (not exact quote).
    Tarkin gives Vader a look I'm not quite sure how to interpret. It looks kind of concerned, or thoughtful. We know Tarkin isn't too worried about the Rebel attack, so what was this about?

2. Darth_Ogawa

Darth_Ogawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    It's like Tarkin is thinking, "Poor Vader...All he has in his life to hold on to is a grudge from 20 years ago, and he actually believes it has relevance to what we are doing today. What a sad sad man".

3. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    It kinda seems like Tarkin is a bit creeped out with Vader in that scene. I don't really know why, though. Something with Vader's speech or how he worded it. I do know that it has little to do with the attack. As you said, the idea that the rebel attack actually posed a threat to the Death Star never crossed his mind.

4. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Seemed to me that Tarkin finds Vaders hate for Obi-Wan a bit creepy. Like: "What on earth made him hate that man so much?"

5. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I always interpreted that scene as Tarkin being a bit unconvinced that Kenobi was truly gone.

6. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    Tarkin was not happy with the strategy of letting the Falcon escape with the rebel plans. The Death Star gave him immunity from rebel attacks, unless the plans revealed a weakness. Putting the Death Star at risk for the hope of destroying one rebel base would not have been his strategy. As a military man, he would have preferred to ensure the safety of the Death Star and then get the rebels at his leasure. (or blow up a planet in retaliation for any rebel attack, forcing them to quit)

However, he dare not stand up to Darth Vader.

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    ^^^^^^that

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    He was thinking, "hey when was that line in the movie?"

9. Lynch69

Lynch69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I pretty much agree with Skysoblue, but a simpler explanation may have been it was originally different dialog. Since Vaders mouth doesnt move, it could have been something Tarkin was to react that way too, just a possibility.

10. thirteenth

thirteenth Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2005
    i think he was just destracted by Yavins beauty and wasnt really paying attention to Vader...

...just a thought

11. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    It was the Scottish accent. Cushing couldn't understand what David Prowse was saying. Remember it was only later they dubbed Jones' voice. :p

12. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

Prowse is English, not Scottish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.