main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was the best movie of 2002?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by YodaJeff, Dec 31, 2002.

?

What was the best movie of 2002?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones

35.7%
  2. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

48.0%
  3. Spider-Man

1.9%
  4. Road to Perdition

1.1%
  5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

1.5%
  6. Minority Report

3.7%
  7. Signs

2.6%
  8. Austin Powers in Goldmember

0.7%
  9. Die Another Day

1.1%
  10. Other

3.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I bet Gangs of New York gets the Best Picture Oscar.

A well-known director and a well-known lead actor guarantees that. [face_plain]

2. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    The Two Towers. Minority Report, Signs, Attack of the Clones, and Chamber of Secrets round out my top five of the year, and I greatly enjoyed all of them, but Two Towers edges them all out. There aren't enough good things to say about that movie. :)

3. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I bet Gangs of New York gets the Best Picture Oscar.

I thought that as well...until I saw it. Frankly it's not good enough to win, although that hasn't stopped the Academy before.

The movies I remember the most from last year (I always take that as a sign of how much I liked them) are: Minority Report, TTT, Signs...that's about it. Of course there's AOTC but as a film it isn't all that great. As part of the whole SW saga it's pretty good though.

4. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    Cath Me if You Can

All you need is love!

5. 5darth2maul1

5darth2maul1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    1. Two Towers
    2. Adaptation
    3. Minority Report

521 :)

6. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    My vote was for The Two Towers, although Spider-Man kicked ass and Attack Of The Clones wasn't bad(although it can't compare to the other Star Wars films IMO). Those were actually the only three films I saw that came out in 2002. I guess I'm really only into sci-fi, fantasy, and comic book adaptation movies.

Unfortunately, The Two Towers will be passed up at Oscar time, because the academy only likes artsy fartsy movies and usually doesn't give sci-fi or fantasy a fair shake.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Unfortunately, The Two Towers will be passed up at Oscar time, because the academy only likes artsy fartsy movies and usually doesn't give sci-fi or fantasy a fair shake.

That's exactly why I hate the Oscars.

8. obi-wannabe1

obi-wannabe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    heh heh, that's really saying something about the quality of the star wars prequels when two towers is picked by more people on a star wars forum.

i also would have to say that two towers was a more enjoyable film with a better acting, more exciting end battle, and special effects. I still love star wars, but i think the lotr trilogy will beat the prequel trilogy by a mile.

9. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002

i totaly disgaree they never give the artsy fartsy movies a fighting chance the only time they win awards is when for some reasons the movie becomes *in* then it whens

your right that they dont give scifi and fantasy a fair chance but they dont give arty fartsy awards that much.

this was a hard choice, i didnt want to pick other cause thats not really my style so i went with lotr. I cant believe you didnt put About Schimdt, Adaptation, Bowling For Columbine, The Hours, Far From Heaven or Spirited Away.

10. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    AOTC for me. TTT was great, but AOTC lived up to my fullest expectatations. I love every minute of it.

Just for fun, here's my top ten films of the year:

(1) Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
    (2) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    (3) Minority Report
    (4) Road to Perdition
    (5) Catch Me if You Can
    (6) We Were Soldiers
    (7) Changing Lanes
    (8) Signs
    (9) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    (10) Punch-Drunk Love

All in all, I think this has been a fantastic year for movies.

11. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    "i also would have to say that two towers was a more enjoyable film with a better acting, more exciting end battle, and special effects. I still love star wars, but i think the lotr trilogy will beat the prequel trilogy by a mile."

I agree with everything you said here. I like AOTC, but not nearly as much as The Two Towers.

12. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    i think i've seen all the movies but i still think devotion to SW aside. The Two Towers was the best film made this past year.

13. jedijedi

jedijedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    Hard decision :( In terms of overall quality (out of all the movies I've seen) I chose Minority Report. My other choices would've been TTT, AOTC and Lilo and Stitch. ;)

14. butt

butt Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2002
    Frankly it's not good enough to win, although that hasn't stopped the Academy before.

You're right. Half of "A Beautiful Mind" was good, but the second half was awful. Yet it won the Oscar. Russell Crowe was the only person involved in it who deserved an award and he was the one who was snubbed.

"Almost Famous" was about 1,000 times better than "Gladiator", yet wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

15. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Yeah and in 2000, remember the whole Tom Hanks vs. Russel Crowe thing? Tom Hanks had the role of his life but the Academy gave it to Russel Crowe because Tom Hanks already had two and someone else was due for one.

ERRRR...

16. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    While we're on the subject, I still wonder why Saving Private Ryan didn't win best picture, why TPM wasn't nominated for best costume or didn't win anything, or why Planet of the Apes (2001) didn't get a best make-up nomination :mad:

Okay, I feel better now :D

Back to topic, I have yet to see Gangs of New York. Is it a good and worth the wait?

17. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Two Towers was the best.

18. Sandjo_Koharr

Sandjo_Koharr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    AOTC, very closely followed by TTT.

19. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    TTT and the Chamber of Secrets. I loved them both. :)

20. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    The Two Towers, followed by Road to Perdition. :)

R.

21. ForbiddenLove

ForbiddenLove Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    I loved AOTC but I voted for TTT; an amazing film!

22. Alabak

Alabak Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2001
    Cath Me if You Can!

23. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

24. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones :D :D :D :D :D
    Know why ?[face_plain] Cause it's Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones [face_mischief]
    As someone said Loved every second!! Couldn't have been More satisfied :D I'm really surprised it's losing.
    I have a Bad feeling about this :p
    Come on SWFans! Get it together!! :D Vote AOTC!! :p

Of the movies listed I only saw AOTC, TTT, Road to Perdition, & Spiderman ;) All Excellent films :)
    LOTR-The Two Towers was a Very Close 2nd :) Don't tell the elf [face_mischief]

25. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I had to say TTT. AOTC is my favorite Star Wars movie, and I love it, and will watch it like a zillion times simply because it's Star Wars. But for overall movie quality, TTT wins hands down over all the movies, though Minority Report was quite impressive as well.

And what movie was this that Tom Hanks should have won for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.