main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What was the coolest SW item you found in Tucson?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by GrandAdmiral_Frank, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    That's pretty awesome. I have a handful of books that are signed by Timothy Zahn in the library. They are personalized, though! :p

2. esahr8

esahr8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2008
    Nice!

How were you able to get those?

3. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    He came to Tucson a little while back, and there was a little meet and greet and book signing at a library on the north side. It was pretty freaking awesome, especially considering he is the sole creator of the greatest EU character EVER!!! Cat even got to go out to dinner with him...;)

4. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    Best character ever being.... Thrawn I suppose. Since, you know, he's your avatar. (Or at the very least a Chiss).

I think Zahn deserves a lot of credit to be honest. I really do think that without him we wouldn't have anything remotely close to what we have now in terms of EU novels. The fact that he was able to write three excellent novels that were able to provide history on the Clone Wars without being stomped on by Lucas is an achievement in itself.

5. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I concur!! Hear! Hear!

6. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Zahn is what we have after Lucas when you break it down. Yes the PT is continuation and all but before that it was the Thrawn Trilogy that truly rebooted this franchise. Once the books became a way to not only make money but tell stories it was a sealed deal. I love the EU and even if you happen to not care for Zahn's contributions to Star Wars you have to step back and acknowledge he set the path. There have been ups and downs in the EU and in my opinion Zahn is one of the authors who worked on Star Wars who did not have that happen.

7. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    Yeah, there's definitely been highs and lows. (Think Crystal Star, which I read a little bit of the other day, it's way worse than I remembered)

Although, I really do think that LucasBooks has a good deal going with Del Rey (who makes beautiful hardcovers, I might add), and I do think they're more committed to quality over quantity. I also like the idea they have going with these extended story arcs, like NJO and LotF, but at the same time, still releasing a number of standalone novels and short, 3-book series for people who can't commit the time to read a 19-novel series.

Plus, it seems to be that they're starting to move away from a sci-fi property and into a "story that just so happens to take place in a fictional setting in space". This is demonstrated by the fact that there is a Star Wars Horror Novel coming out November 1st, 2009.

8. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Please do not speak of Del Rey most of us are still trying to get rid of our copies of betrayal. LOL

9. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    Trying to get rid of copies of Betrayal?

Hardcover?

How much?

10. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    What he speaks of is that a lot of us were at Celebration IV, and they were giving out softcover copies of Betrayal for FREE. So, naturally, we got a few copies.

So no, they're not hardcover, and since the library already has enough copies in it, I imagine if you wanted a copy we could get you one for dirt cheap or free.

11. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    Wow, I guessed I missed out on that one.

Was Del Rey giving those out? Or somebody else.

I prefer hardcover whenever it's possible (think, economically feasable), and Bookmans up in Mesa and Phoenix usually has Betrayal in hardcover for dime a dozen.

12. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    Hey Cathy get out to Walmart if you can they have your Galactic Heroes Ahsoka with what looks like Rex. LOve REx!

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    At C4 the DelRey booth was giving out paperback copies of Betrayal.

I fear I must have missed Ahsoka, I saw you called Frank, but we were not home, we go out each week to Karaoke on Sundays until just after 2am.

14. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    The day after Thanksgiving I was there before all of the other crazies and I was able to locate and purchase your Breha Organa. Or as Terminator would say "Target Acquired".

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Oh Wow. Thank you. We will have to set up a time for me to get it. Talk about craziness, Wal-Mart Black Friday is over the top. Scary even.