main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last album you purchased/heard?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Morella, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I can't justify locking this if I keep "What Are You Reading Now?" open, but please discuss instead of just listing. Thanks. :)

And the last I purchased was Merlin by Trevor Jones.

2. SidiousDragon

SidiousDragon Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2001
    Ahah! But you didn't discuss your choice either!

:p

3. JediFlork

JediFlork Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    i think my last album purchase was either Boston's original self-titled album (awesome) and the Ramones Anthology (also awesome, online same time as Boston) or the Weezer Deluxe Edition (awesomer), i cant remember which one i got more recently.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Yesterday I bought Elephunk by Black Eyed Peas, I bought Kamikaze by Twista, And I bought All Eyes On Me by 2PAC.

BTW, you guys gotta start buying some better music.

5. JediFlork

Jul 27, 2003
    how can you say that your last purchased album was hip-hop stuff and say that we need to listen to better music?

I dont want to start a genre vs. genre thing but when the "musicians" you listen to start actually writting their own music and playing insturments, then i might have a little more respect for them.

6. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Hip Hop is poetry. And most artists do their own beats too. Which everyone in the hip hop community considers an instrument. It doesn't matter if you don't it's an instrument.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Spider-Man Score by Danny Elfman,used for 8.00 at Music Recyclery

8. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I just bought the Queen of the Damned album. Good stuff I tell ya!

Forcebewitya!

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Thunderbirds soundtrack :cool:

10. JediFlork

Jul 27, 2003
    Hip Hop is poetry

i respect the literate portion, the poetry if you will. its just that when you compare hip hop artists who write they're lyrics and do their own beats, its really nothing compared to rock artists who write lyrics, melodies, guitar parts, bass lines, solos, drum parts, sometimes piano/keyboard/synth for a entire 30-60 minute record then still have bsides and stuff for live shows and singles. Maybe the live show thing is a better way to judge music, better bands sound better live is a general unofficial cliche, im not sure how that applies to hip hop, ive never actually been at a hip hop concert, but judging by what ive seen from a total of 4 minutes of mtv while waiting for beavis and butthead last week, the hip hop artists only do vocals at live shows. that probably not a fair assumption, ill let you guys decide.

11. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    I got 2 albums yesterday, Björk's Live Box and Blow Your Headphones by The Herbaliser.

And as for the Hip-Hop thing, yes there's a lot of sampling out there, but there are some bands that use live instruments as well. Portishead's second album I think used one sample in the whole album, the rest of the 'samples' were created by themselves. Also, sampling can be used quite creatively. One of my favorite musicians, Amon Tobin, makes his music entirely out of samples but there's not a single recognisable loop in there, it's all reworked to create new tunes and beats.

12. SidiousDragon

SidiousDragon Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2001
    oooer, you bought the live box eh? Whats the DVD like on there? I only bought the homogenic one because I thought it had the best value for money (debut live and post live seemed a little repetitive and short, and vespertine live wasn't very useful for me because I had the live at the Royal Opera house DVD). Homogenic live is awesome!

13. Kinobe

Apr 27, 2003
    The DVD's not particularly amazing really, it's just got 5 live tracks on it and that's all. It's got One Day from MTV Unplugged, It's Oh So Quiet from Taratata, Jóga from Later with Jools Holland (UK TV Show) and Aurora and It's Not Up To You both from the Royal Opera House.

14. sithsarbad

sithsarbad Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2003
    Taking Back Sunday

"Where you want to be"

15. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    At a lot of concerts, DJs are out there mixing and what not. You can compare them to a bands drummer or guitar player. Most people can either rap or be a DJ. They are two very hard skills so it's hard to do both. As opposed to screaming and playing the guitar.

16. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    My last album was Lloyd Banks: The Hunger for More and G-Unit: Beg for Mercy
    If going to get Switchfoot: The Beautiful Letdown and Young Buck: Straight Out of Cashville when it comes out

17. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    There you go. Looks like someone other than me is listening to Hip Hop.

18. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I got 2 albums yesterday, Björk's Live Box...

How do you like it? I've been meaning to buy it since it came out but I don't know if it's worth the money. I really want it though!

19. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

Jul 4, 2004
    I love Hip-Hop but I also like some rock and metel along with it.

20. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Sevendust: Seasons.

21. JediFlork

Jul 27, 2003
    As opposed to screaming and playing the guitar

im not really into screaming in my music. but playing the guitar is nice. seriously, id like to see one these hip hop people play guitar (on a level worthy of being good playing) in front of thousands of people and sing at the same time. anyone can talk to the crowd, thats what stand-up comedy is for. and if you think "busting rhymes" is hard, watch Whose Line is it Anyway. The people on that show (especially Wayne Brady), have more talent than any Hip Hop artist. Even Colin Mocherie (who is Canadian) can "bust rhymes" decently. Is it comparing apples and oranges? yes, but it makes for fun conversion.

22. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

Jul 4, 2004
    I love that show! Wayne is a good singer but better with Chip or Brad, Ryan is just plain funny and great with Colin. But what are you talking about Colin picking up a beat, if anything he kills the beat. Still Funny though.

23. Scoobster

Scoobster Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    franz ferdinand.

and i think ashlee simpson lol :p

24. JediFlork

Jul 27, 2003
    But what are you talking about Colin picking up a beat, if anything he kills the beat. Still Funny though.

I must admit that Colin only gets the "scene to rap" game right about 30% of the time, which just makes it more hilarious. Id rather have him screw up, but when he does get it right he does it just as good as the other guys.

Drew Carey, Greg Proops (who actually was the voice of the english speaking portion of the 2 headed announcer during the TPM podrace), Chip, and Brad, and some other guys (but not Wayne, Ryan, or Colin, d'oh) are touring around doing improv shows. There coming to my city in November, i got tickets the other day, cant wait for that.

25. Kinobe

Apr 27, 2003
    Obi-Wan's Apparition: Yeah, I think it's pretty good. Didn't realise that the Debut Live disc was the MTV Unplugged show that I had on DVD already, but it's good to be able to listen to it on the PC. :) Cost wise I thought it was pretty good too, 4 albums and a DVD for the price of 2 albums doesn't seem too bad to me (tho albums here in England are overpriced anyway).