main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last book you bought?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    What book did you buy last and why?

The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro
    I generally don't read horror, but I saw GDT and vampires and was intrigued.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
    Its Jules Verne and 20,000 Leagues. Need I say more?

The Complete Navarone by Alistair McClean and Sam Llewellyn
    The Guns of and Force 10 From Navarone are two of my favorite less serious war movies. I was surprised to learn that there are actually four books.

A Brief History of British Kings and Queens by Mike Ashely
    Here I am just indulging my interest in history.

The Loch by Steve Alten
    Steve Alten is one of my favorite thriller writers, but his work can rather hard to find, so if I see something by him that I haven't read, I jump on it.

1634: The Baltic War by Eric Flint and David Webber.
    This a sequel to a alt-history novel called 1633. Its part of a series called the Ring of Fire. I've been waiting like five years for this book. This is another series that's kind of hard to find, but its worth it.

A Brief History of the Russian Revolution
    Bonnie and Clyde: The lives behind the legends
    These are both Father's Day gifts.

EDIT: Fair enough.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'd like to add, so it doesn't just become a list - and why?

I bought Archangel by Sharon Shinn. I happened to have a $2 off coupon at Borders a couple nights ago, and since I love that book, it had been on my birthday list (just too far down) and it was in stock, I just got it. Ironically, I was reading the library's copy at the time.

3. Connor_Allspark

Connor_Allspark Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2009
    The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis

Why: Since last year, I began reading the Collectors' Edition versions of The Chronicles of Narnia. A few weeks ago, I completed the series with The Last Battle. As I expected, the novel was exciting, moving and wonderfully written. I love Narnia! :)

Sarge likes this.
  4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    The last book I bought was Omen.

Why:I think anyone that is on these boards would know why. lol

5. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    1. STAR WARS Fate of the Jedi: Omen by Christine Golden
    - I pretty much only buy Star Wars novels that take place after Return of the Jedi.

2. Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton
    - I had to read about American Special Forces that scored early victories against the Taliban -- on horseback.

3. The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship by David Halberstam
    - When Dom Dimaggio died, I felt like I had to know more about him, so I found this book.

4. Liberty and Tryany: A Conservative Manifesto by Mark Levin
    - Recommended by a friend. It's much deeper than pundit drivel.

5. G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra movie novelization by Max Alan Collins
    - I have to know what to expect from this film.

6. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    McClean is good writer. I really liked "Where Eagles Dare" and "Ice Station Zebra."

Sarge likes this.
  7. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Why?: I've heard nothing but good reviews about it. :)

Evil.

8. DarthBane95

DarthBane95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2009
    I bought the Star Wars vault,dont know if that counts( it is great) But the last novel I bought was Omen.

9. DarthConus

DarthConus Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2009
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher, and it was awesome! Can't wait to read the rest of the Codex Alera.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just bought The Crystal Mountain which is the 3rd in a trilogy of D&D Forgotten Realms books which transitions from the 3e rules to 4e.

11. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I just bought How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq. It was a whole 6 bucks at the Borders at the mall. I needed a book to read while waiting on some car work to get done. So far its pretty interesting.

12. Green_Blade

Green_Blade Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning (Paperback).

13. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Why: Because I am a huge urban fiction fan and this book was sincerely funny. Gaiman is a genius and anyone who has read American Gods should know why.

-B-

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner. I bought this book because I am going on vacation, starting at the end of this week and I was mostly looking for something to read on the plane, but I also bought it because the CIA has a certain mystique in pop culture and I thought that a history of the Agency might make for interesting reading.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Last:
    Fate of the Jedi: Omen - its a new SW book. Therefore, I'm getting it (or rather, got it) 'Nuff said.

Also recently:
    A whole bunch (15) of Drizzt/Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books, since they were highly recommended to me.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Accelerando

Follows the life of a family before, during, and after the Technological Singularity.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just ordered Larry Niven's Juggler of Worlds and Daemon by Daniel Suarez from Amazon UK.

18. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I can't quite remember. I think the last book I bought was some used Stargate SG-1 novel I got at my local library.

19. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    The last book I bought was To Kill A Mockingbird because I read it in high school and loved it, but never had a chance to read it again.

20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Tolkien's The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun.
    I intended to get it sooner, but the local bookshop sold all 3 copies in a heartbeat and I had to wait for another shipment.
    Even though I'm generally a huge fan of Tolkien's writing, this intrigued me much more because of the contest itself. I've always loved the Nibelunglied and been a huge fan of Sigfried's story in many different media. I also studied the Elder Edda a bit, and what more could one hope for than Tolkien himself translating it into English?! :D

Sarge likes this.
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Liners to the Sun by John Maxtone-Gramham
    I heard him speak while I was on the Queen Mary 2 last week. He was signing books in the ship's library and I didn't have my copy of The Only Way to Cross. If you ever have the chance to hear him speak, go. He's very informative and frequently funny.

The Ocean Railway by Stephen Fox.
    Also bought on the Queen Mary

Henry VIII by JJ Scarisbrick
    This was a souviner from my visit the Tower of London.

London: The Biography by Peter Ackroyd.
    I bought it as a souviner from St Paul's Cathedral in London.

22. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Excellent choice :). London: A biography is the best book I've read about London. It can probably be a bit hard if one doesn't know the general chronology of London, but Ackroyd really captures the nature of the city and how it has changed throughout time.

Yesterday I bought Brent Weeks' The way of Shadows because I've heard a few good things about here at the JC. I also bought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies just to see what the fuss is all about.

23. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Ditto.

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I just got 2001: A Space Oddessey by Arthur C. Clarke for required summer reading for school. Haven't started reading it yet, though.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Picked up a LotR trilogy box set, Children of Hurin, and Ecolitan Prime (two novels in one: Ecologic Envoy and Ecolitan Enigma) by LE Modesitt today... all for well below their market price. Trade-size paperbacks, list price of about $68 plus tax, all for just over $20 including tax :)