main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last book you bought?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Jun 19, 2009.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ditto...after 6 long yrs I have it.

2. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Today I found A dance with dragons at half price at the local Waterstones :D.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. kristy

kristy Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2010
    I've bought HBO brilliant show Game of Thrones series book. I love this show and have planned to go ready the stuffs and story, after finish it's season 1 And now continue read with it.

4. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Hey RJ read this and bask in the afterglow:

I BOUGHT MAGIC OF RECLUSE TODAY

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Woohoo! Now go read it and tell us what you think :D

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Storm of Swords. I've already finished Game of Throne and I'm 100 pages into Clash of Kings.

I also bought A Brief History of:

The Tudor Age
    The Holy Grail
    The Samurai
    Hitmen and Assassinations
    Robin Hood
    King Arthur

They were only $6.00 each. Sue me. :p

I also bought 1635: The Dreeson Incident. The Ring of Fire is a fun Alt-Hist series.

As you may have guessed, I read voraciously. When I go to the book store, I tend to do a lot of damage.

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Soooo pretty! Those all look like fun :D

Is anyone planning to do some damage at Borders? (Or has anyone?)

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Having been through the closure of my local Books Etc store back in 2009, I recommend going early to any Borders closures. By the time I got to mine the shelves were pretty empty of the types of books I'd want to buy (mystery, sci-fi). I picked up a few things at reduced prices but not much.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    There are several in my area that closed earlier. I went to one on spring break and spent rather more than I'd planned :D I went to the last remaining one here a couple days ago, and I did find a lot of stuff I liked, but it's only at 20% off. And since I was mostly in the historical nonfiction section, 20% off is still more than I wanted to spend 8-} I'm hoping they'll get some better deals out.

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Yeah, same here, except that I didn't pick up anything, because the sci-fi/fantasy and thriller sections were basically cleaned out.

My Barnes & Noble closed a year ago, and now Borders is gone, so I don't know what I'm going to do. I know I can order books online, but it's not the same. Browsing for books is a tactile experience. It's part of the magic. It's partly the reason I've been so reluctant to move to ebooks. But there's a used bookstore not far from here, so I guess it's time to give that a try.

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I dont have a Borders around me. I dont even think Ive ever been in one before lol. Now we had a Waldens and BAM a few yrs ago and then Waldens went and closed. If BAM closed that would shut down book sales in Lake Charles and oh would that suck....

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree that there is something like about browsing for books. Not the same as going to look for a specific one.

However, there is one site I particularly like: bookcloseouts.com. It's very much a browsing experience, and the books are ridiculously cheap, especially when they're having a sale. Someone posted a thread here in SFFBC years ago about it, and I tried it and loved it. It's pretty fun.

13. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Starting on my quest to replace all my Brandon Sanderson MMPB with hardcovers(and not paying through the nose). I bought Warbreaker for $4.50 new on a bargain shelf.

Also Spellwright hardcover for $5.50.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Bought the two Warhammer 40k Space Wolf Omnibuses at the local bookstore this morning. I enjoyed the Horus Heresy book Prospero Burns which featured them and I wanted to read more stories about them. This fills the bill nicely!

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Ok, a bit late, but still.. :D

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you like Working for the Devil I recommend getting the others in the Dante Valentine series. I really liked them. Just be aware the author has books outside of the series though. I haven't read any of those.

Postman brought FOTJ: Ascension from Amazon UK yesterday so I consider that the last book I bought.

19. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    The First Law Trilogy.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I couldnt take it...I broke down and bought the new HC Dresden: Ghost Story even though all other 12 of mine are in PB. Im so hooked Id never be able to wait a yr for it to release in PB...

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Emperor of Maladies by Siddartha Mukhurejee-I've seen Mukhurejee interviewed several times and it sounds like a fascinating read.

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiel Hammett-I studies Hammett a little in school and rather enjoyed him

Death or Victory by Ron Snow-I am something of a Canadian history buff

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    You should read Goliath sometime. Think HAL 9000 wrapped in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Its a fun read.

24. Krusty_the_Clone

Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 4, 2006
    The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'll try to remember Goliath but I have two book series I am going to read and they are both 5 books long right now.

Speak of the devil, I just bought book 2 in the Dante Valetine series, Dead Man Rising. I am still just a few chapters into the first book.