main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last book you bought?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Mom and I spent the morning out in town. Barnes & Noble was our first stop after the bank. I bought:

Dirk Pitt: Poseidon's Arrow (I have the complete series now, at least until Havana Storm comes out this fall)

NUMA Files: The Storm

Republic Commando: Order 66 & Imperial Commando: 501st (another series complete)

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

Quite frankly, those three Star Wars books weren't on my list to get; I'd hoped to get Into the Void and both Hand of Thrawn books, but the only one that was on the shelf was Vision of the Future.

BTW, is the Star Wars/Star Trek section at Barnes & Noble getting smaller and smaller all across the US, or could it just be my local store? A couple of years ago Star Wars/Star Trek took up one entire shelf at the very end of one Science Fiction/Fantasy row at my B&N. Now they've been shoved to a middle shelf on the row, to the point where I almost couldn't find them, and one the last three/four rows from the bottom held those books instead of the entire shelf. One row was part Trek/part Wars and the other three were entirely Wars.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I know both have slimmed down at my local Waterstones (UK bookstore chain). They've made room for books like Doctor Who, Halo, etc. But then right now there aren't a lot of SW books being released. I'm also a Clive Cussler fan (except for the Isaac Bell series). I usually get the books in paperback tho - not HC.

3. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Yeah, I've been going for PB with Cussler. Only reading Pitt, NUMA, and Oregon, though - not really interested in Bell or Fargos. I've almost got NUMA complete too; the only ones I'm missing there are Zero Hour and Ghost Ship. Zero Hour came out in PB just yesterday, so it wasn't on the shelf at B&N or I would have snapped it up. Of course, Ghost Ship won't see PB release until next spring. Still have to get most of the Oregon books, but that will be easy enough.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The time period Bell is set in just doesn't interest me. I do like the Fargo books though. However I have a large reading pile so I don't mind waiting for paper.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Bought 6 new books

Dragon Age: The Calling
    Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne
    Dragon Age: Asunder
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Lone Survivor
    12 Years a Slave

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm waiting on an Amazon UK order containing (amongst others) White Fire by Preston/Child. It came out in pb at the end of May here.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Last thing I bought was This New Ocean: A History of Project Mercury.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    An American edition of Cien años de soledad, in Spanish.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Guardians of the Keep by Carol Berg. Unfortunately it is book 2, so I need to go dig and find 1, 3, and 4.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars Legacy Vol. 2 TPB 2 Outcasts of the Broken Ring.

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, I turned 40 yesterday, and people gave me money, so I went shopping...

- The Gridlock Economy
    - Shakespeare Wars
    - Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy
    - Selected Speeches, Cicero
    - The Histories, Herodotus
    - The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
    - Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human, Harold Bloom
    - Collected Stories, Saul Bellow
    - Rules of the Dance, Mary Olivier, a book about understanding and writing poetry
    - A Poetry Handbook, same author
    - The Swerve: How the World Became Modern, Stephen Greenblatt
    - The Anatomy of Influence: Literature as a Way of Life, Harold Bloom again.

My to-read backlog is so long now I'm starting to panic.

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    A nice pocketbook of wisdom from Theodore Roosevelt

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Cibola Burn by james A. Corey.

This is the 3rd in a series which is a..well..sort of hard scifi story though it has produced a junction of gateways between stars. This series has been picked up as a future tv series. The publishing industry must be slow. This book has been far too long in coming and I'll need to refesh my memory of the others.

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Dragon Lady by Sterling Seagrave.It's a biography of the last Dowager Empress of China. I went to the ROM to see an exhibit of pieces from the Forbidden City. Some of them were spectacularly beautiful.

15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Haunted Asylums by ER Vernor. Got it at Phenomacon in April. It's a history on various asylums, reported paranormal activity in those asylums, any controversy surrounding them, and their current state, be they abandoned, torn down, or still in operation in limited capacity due to widespread deinstitutionalization.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams. This author is appreantly very popular, this will be the first book by him for me.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    After going a used book store odyssey I found Son of Avonar, and The Soul Weaver by Carol Berg. I already have book 2, now I just gotta find book 4...

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Did you like that book? I didn't care for it. Some people told me it had to be read in the original language to really appreciate it. I hate it when people tell me things like that.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You are a monster.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Tiger's Claw by Dale Brown.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm not too crazy about it when people tell me things like that either. [face_plain]

:p

22. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
  23. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Wishful Drinking

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    if you like that look out for Shockaholic. It was pretty good.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Half A King by Joe Abercrombie.

ALSO GOT IT (and every other book of his I own) SIGNED, WOOHOO. [face_party]