main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last book you bought?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Jun 19, 2009.

1. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Latest book I bought? Hmmm, probably CJ Cherryh's 'Regenesis' (sequel to Cyteen). Still my current author-obsession. Read/borrowed a lot more since then, though, most recently Stephen J. Gould's 'Dinosaur in a Haystack'. Hey, if you're going to be into sci-fi you've got to know your sci. :-B

I'll admit I occasionally leave my books face-down for short periods of time to mark my place (but only a few minutes, not hours - then I'll find a scrap of paper or something!). But dog-earring, never. That just rubs me completely the wrong way. [face_shame_on_you] Got to love your books, I have been known to clasp one to my chest and give it a kiss on occasion I admit. [face_love]

2. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Oh, wow, I thought I was the only one who did that. :p This is one of the reasons I can't get into e-books; I have to touch and smell a book, and physically turn the pages, to really feel like I'm actually reading. Otherwise, it just isn't a book. [face_love]

3. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Absolutely the same sensation I got. I love to just hold my books to my chest and breathe in the words. It's remarkable what effects books have on some people. [face_love]

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Don't think I've actually kissed a book, but I was treating Gathering Storm like my precious before I'd even got to read it yet (i.e., as I took it out of the box) :p

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Diamond Age which takes place in te same universe as Snow Crash but later on.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I picked two up in Waterstone's 'Buy 1 get 1 free' sale yesterday. First one was Imperium by Robert Harris. Second was The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer. The latter looks pretty interesting. Instead of a dry history of fourteenth century England it's written as a handbook to that period. If you're at all interested in medieval England it might be worth picking up.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002

8. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Last books I bought were Robin Waterfield's "Xenophon's Retreat" and "Why Socrates Died", by the last science fiction or fantasy book I bought was Paul McAuley's "The Quiet War". Good reviews made me buy it, but I regret doing so. In my opinion it's not the bright new thing it's made up to be.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002

10. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Bought "Bitter Angels"(2009) by C. L. Anderson, "Blindsight"(2006) by Peter Watts and "Lord of Silence"(2009) by Mark Chadbourn.

11. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    The most recent book I bought was Fate of the Jedi: Abyss. Unless Star Wars books don't count. In which case it would have to be Book III of The Dark Tower series, The Waste Lands.

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I broke down and picked up Michael Crichton's new (and last :( :_| ) novel Pirate Latitudes yesterday. After I asked everyone I knew whether they're getting it for me for Christmas. (See the "All I want for Christmas" thread. :p )

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I saw that at the bookstore yesterday. I'll wait for the paperback though.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I buy way too many books from Amazon now. It's the first time in my life I'm more than comfortable financially and that means I've probably gone a little out of control over the last 6 months. [face_blush]

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Hey, at least they're cheaper through Amazon :p

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Especially if your order is eligible for free shipping.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Indeed. And nearly all of my orders are free shipping, unless its from Amazon marketplace.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Took advantage of coupons/gift card today, and picked up Hero of Ages (so as soon as I finish Olympos, I'll be starting Mistborn), as well as a couple of Codex Alara books (Furies of Calderon and Cursor's Fury, the latter of which was one of those hardbacks-for-cheaper-than-paperback-price), Rebellion 3, and two paperbacks to replace hardbacks in my collection - Millenium Falcon and Ender in Exile, both of which I've naturally read before. Also ordered the new Darth Bane book online :)

19. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    You still haven't read the new Bane? Shame, shame, shame. [face_shame_on_you]

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    It came out in that too-close-to-Christmas timeframe that I don't buy new books that there's even a chance of receiving for Christmas. Otherwise I'd already have read it.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've only just read the new Bane myself. My copy came from Amazon UK right before Christmas so it was my Christmas read.

22. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Ah, that makes sense. All right, I forgive you both. :p

23. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I bought Kate Mosse's The Winter Ghosts as a Christmas gift.

24. Gamer_4_life

Gamer_4_life Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2009

Not brought any book for the past couple of month. The last book I read was Blackout, by Connie Willis (Spectra), chaotic place. Scores of time-traveling historians are being sent into the past, to destinations including the American Civil War and the attack on the World Trade Center.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Picked up L.E. Modesitt, Jr's Imager, the first in a new series and which just came out in paperback. Very much looking forward to reading it :)