main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you could not finish?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Arapsis, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Other Guy

Watched half hour of the movie and got bored, probably would have been much, much better if Will Ferrell wasn't in it.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Very wise move. I wish I had never sat through all of it. Horrible, horrible movie, both racist and sexist.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

No. Just no.

[face_shame_on_you]

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I like Temple of Doom, but it is pretty racist.

5. ForeverSleep

ForeverSleep Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2004
    As always, I strongly suggest reading the Lucas, Spielberg and Kasdan transcript from their Raiders brainstorm sessions. Can't remember if it was Lucas or Spielberg who was more racist or sexist. Thank your lucky stars for Kasdan. He's the brains and restraint those two knuckleheads needed.

http://maddogmovies.com/almost/scripts/raidersstoryconference1978.pdf

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Whoh. Swearing George Lucas.[face_hypnotized]

Thanks for the PDF -- I wasn't aware anything like that existed. They throw casual punches at pretty much every culture and/or country in the film (not to mention Lucas has a serious damsel-in-distress fetish going on there...)

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He did well making Marion and Leia good, strong women characters at the time of that convo though. I don't understand how he managed to **** up so badly with Willie Scott.

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Would you mind pointing out some of this supposed racism and sexism? It's a pretty dense document.

9. ForeverSleep

ForeverSleep Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2004
    No. Read all 70 pages. You'll thank me later. I've read it in full 3 times. It's wonderful entertaining.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Okay, I will. But my mind tends not to spot what others assure me is racism. So I'm expecting you to offer some kind of support for your claims here.

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I almost did that.

The last movie I stopped was Cake (or something--on Netflix with Heather Graham). It looked like a crappy romcom I'd enjoy, but 15 minutes in, the journalist main character decided that being a temprary editor in chief for a magazne would be do-able because she's reported on stuff. As if those two are remotely the same thing. I could tell I wasn't going to like it at all, despite Christopher from Gilmore Girls.

12. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    There needs to be a "That's racist!" gif with an Indian eating monkey brains.

jp-30 likes this.
  13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Hey, if they really eat monkey brains, it's not racist.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Immortals. What a piece of crap. I stopped 3/4 through.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm. I never walk out of or stop a movie. Sometimes there's at least some kind of interesting element to be experienced by doing so- and I can at least say I gave it a fair chance to redeem itself.

That said, I've been tempted a couple times: In & Out and Jeepers Creepers 1 come to mind.

Oh, I actually did walk out of one movie once- it was an a film festival in NY and it was some completely awful and nonsensical conspiracy theory/men in black/matrix thing... I was only there to see and support my friend's short film that as screening before it, so I didn't feel as bad walking out to go to the after party ;).

Only time I've walked out.

16. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Tried Iron Sky last night on Netflix.

You know...for a movie about Nazis who build a secret base on the far side of the moon and use it to launch a blitzkrieg with Dieselpunk flying saucers and space-zeppelins.....god it's terrible.

It's like after they got past the "OMG! Nazis on the Moon!" scene, the filmmakers behind it got into a creative rut and decided to copy Dr. Strangelove's socio-political criticism....yet had absolutely no understanding of why or how Strangelove worked.

17. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Minotaur. One day i will finsh a SyFy movie.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Anchorman

Not a Will Ferrell fan, but thought since everyone seems to love would try it.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I fell asleep during Sleepless in Seattle the first time I saw it. True story.

I did eventually finish it though.