main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For me, personally, it wasn't so much that they did another "rebel fighters destroy the planet killer superweapon before it destroys their base" scenario, but that they didn't do anything new with it. They could have the Resistance attack fail and force the Resistance to evacuate. They could have had the attack succeed but only disable the weapon, not destroy it- allowing it to be an ongoing threat in the trilogy.

Then they had Poe and co. do a trench run for the hell of it just to make it even more similar to the Yavin battle, when Han's explosives should have been the killer blow, since that was where the character focus of the story was.

Take that out of the equation (and, believe me, my own edit will do so the moment I have the free time...) and the rest isn't bad. The Rathtars are a unnecessary side diversion and the film was so afraid of getting Prequel-bogged with political details that it overcompensated in the other direction and provided far too little information about what was going on (a single Republic scene before it gets destroyed- even if just aboard a ship rather than going full senate) and Poe's retroactive survival makes his absence earlier in the film a big hole (they should have shown his escape- maybe even worked in a Republic rescue angle to explain the proxy war scenario and serve double duty to my earlier suggestion).

None of that is enough to kill the film, though, because the characters are very likeable- it just holds the film back.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Young Frankenstein (1974)
    It's as funny as I remembered. Gene Wilder has never been better than he is here, imo, all wild hair, guyliner, and lines delivered with impeccable comic timing; but what really makes the film work is that the trio of Wilder, Garr, and Feldman are just so likeable together they don't actually have to be funny all the time because it's just nice to see them on screen with each other. Maybe it's that none of the actors appear to be trying to outdo one another but instead are working together so harmoniously, but whatever it is it works for me. I've also got to mention Kenneth Mars' Inspector Kemp - love all his scenes. Altogether I think it's just genius.

3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    One of my favourite Stallone films. Wesley Snipes chewiing the scenery up in a really over the top performance and the gorgeous Sandra Bullock as the very naive rookie cop.

It wasn't a bad year for Stallone wih this and Cliff "Die Hard on a mountain" hanger out too. In addition it wasn't a bad year for Denis Leary either, as I really liked him in the seemingly under rated Judgement Night too.

This was the first Trek movie I saw at the cinema. I went in there with no spoilers and fully expected the Undiscovered Country to be a strange planet not on the charts, I was quite disappointed when that undiscovered country was peace. However I really enjoyed the film, the assassination in zero gravity was a great idea.

Juke Skywalker and PCCViking like this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Thing is I never could make sense of why they called it the Undiscovered Country -

the undiscovered country actually refers to death , it's from Hamlet .

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Currently watching In the Heart of the Sea on one of the movie channels. Not bad so far, but I think I have seen it (or parts of it) before. I might have caught bits while channel surfing.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Kenneth Mars and his malfunctioning arm still make me LOL.

I agree with everything you said, but also Ms. Kahn and Ms. Leachman: "Yes! YES! He vas...my BOYFRIEND!"

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    PUTTIN'ONTHERITZ!!!

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I saw Boss Baby was on Netflix. I heard good things about it as it made a lot of money while it was in the theater. It was a little slow at parts and not super funny, but it had heart and I was pleasantly surprised where it went with the final act. Thumbs up!

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Which version did you see, subbed or dubbed? I tend to prefer subtitled, but I've seen some stuff dubbed just because that's the easiest way to see it. I saw Kiki's Delivery Service dubbed and quite liked Phil Hartman's performance as the cat. But I did see Spirited Away subtitled and in doing my research online about it, I see that the dubbed version actually makes some substantial changes in terms of doing away with subtleties in favor of really hammering home some morals, etc. If you've seen the dubbed version, then I would definitely do the subbed version for its second chance. It will at least be different and, from the way it sounds, actually better.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Wind River. Taylor Sheridan has had a very promising start with two great scripts in Sicario and Hell or High Water, atmospheric, smart scripts following interaction between the law and the remnants of the frontier in the American west. In his directorial debut, he does the same thing again. I’m not sure the highs are as high as the prior films, but it’s consistently good and he doesn’t let his penchant for heavy-handed messaging get in his way this time, which is big progress. Sheridan has a really good film here, following an out-of-her-depth FBI agent through a murder investigation on an Indian reservation, aided by a Fish and Game hunter who knows the territory. Elizabeth Olson is very good as the agent, aided by the fact that the script doesn’t patronize her. She might be young and inexperienced when it comes to the rez and the mountains, but she’s smart, professional, and sensitive to the situation. Jeremy Renner is also very good as her guide; he can be a little uneven depending on the role but he really clicks with the material here. I’m really looking forward to more from Sheridan.

11. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Revenge of the Sith was playing on the TV at work. I noticed that when the sound is off the movie becomes slightly more watchable.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think RotS would be best watched with only the score.

Sarge likes this.
  13. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Logan because my cousin kept shoving the blu ray up my butt.

Very good, i thought Dafne Keen was the scene stealer and hope she can return somehow.

Also, when X-24 showed up did anyone else think it was Sabertooth? With that buzz cut i can definitely buy Logan and Victor as brothers.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, that is really unacceptable behavior.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  15. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    I'm just amazed it played.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Love Actually (2013) As chick flix go, it wasn't too bad. It was funny enough to keep me awake and I actually cared about most of the characters.

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    How did you watch it if it was put in your butt? Did it play like a projector out of your eyes and onto the wall?

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)

Entertaining film that reminded me of Rear Window a bit. Features typical Woody Allen humor; it seems he plays the same character in every film.

The pacing here is good, not too long, and there are genuine moments of suspense amidst the neurotic silliness.

Anjelica Huston does a great job here and Diane Keaton is awesome as always. Alan Alda is good too.

Features a nice score of jazz standards and cool shots of NYC. Fast, frivolous fun.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The film twice explains that "the undiscovered country" is "the future", not peace. First the Klingon Chancellor gives a toast to it and then, at the end of the film, Kirk quotes him. People fear change.

Peace with the Klingons was just part of the change he refers to, as part of that future.

Though perhaps "the undiscovered country" means "death" when you read it in the original Klingon ;).

I likely saw it dubbed, as i had a pretty good experience with the dubs for Mononoke and one other (crap, can't rmember if it was Castle in the Sky or Valley of the Wind...).

I'll take your suggestion for next time, though- the difference in viewing experiences between dub and sub can at least justify a reason in watching SA again. :)

Ok, digging around it wasn't just blown up- IMAX has a process (apparently it's more than just software) called DMR that was designed to take 35mm film and process the image to remove grain and then export it to 70mm so that the image quality would hold up at the larger size (since the IMAX version of AOTC was limited to the approx. 15 cities that have a full-size, 8-story IMAX screen compared to the digital IMAX screens more commonly found these days).

This old article from sw.com has some more details: https://web.archive.org/web/2002101...com:80/episode-ii/feature/20021011/index.html

Apparently AOTC was the first film shot digitally to undergo the process.

I'm trying to find some of the visual examples of the framing (I forget if it was effectively pan and scan or digitally recomposited- I may have been wrong in my earlier statement)- I know there was a key comparison image from back then with the Nexu climbing up the pillar at Padme where the sucker is right in your face but can't seem to locate it.

AndyLGR likes this.
  20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Mystic Pizza (1988)

Really enjoyable romantic comedy. The three lead actors are great. I think this was Julia Roberts film debut and she is very compelling in her role. Annabeth and Lili are awesome. The story does well at recalling that nostalgic "summer before college" feeling.

This is another 80's film that can be rewatched multiple times without losing its charm, much like The Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

The story was inspired by an actual pizza parlor in Mystic, Connecticut.

21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Kung Fu Panda 3

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Good Time. Robert Pattinson, who's proving himself a bit of a chameleon, plays a low-level New York crook trying desperately to get his mentally-handicapped brother out of jail when he's nabbed for a bank robbery Pattinson pulled with him. The propulsive premise of this setup, with Pattinson continually reacting on the fly as he tries to spin out plans over the course of one anxious night, has the potential for a driving, pulpy B-movie, but the filmmakers, the Safdie brothers, take it in a different direction. It's still all sweaty desperation, but instead of building a plan, Pattinson just keeps getting pulled away on a spiraling tangent as he tries to react to everything that keeps going wrong or spinning off in different directions. It makes for an enjoyably off-kilter trip through the weird underbelly of New York. Pattinson's really good, and I quite enjoyed the ending, which manages to be unexpected yet inevitable.

Electronic Labyrinth TXH 1138 4B. I happened to see that George Lucas's fifteen-minute student film is currently streaming online and had to watch. It's definitely a fifteen-minute student film; it's cheap and minimalistic, following the titular character as he attempts to escape some kind of sci-fi dystopia. But it shows some interesting strengths, from Lucas's ability to firmly establish the general conceit of the setting he's introducing with just a general sense of atmosphere, to the way he uses layered radio chatter and overlaid graphics to evoke an oppressive surveillance state, to the way he knows how to make what's clearly some hallways, a server room, and a parking garage at USC look believably like an oppressive future environment. It definitely shows Lucas's talent.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Dr Strange It's not a bad film, but the good in it is nearly buried by overwrought and overlong SFX. Hey, Marvel, sometimes less is more.

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Silence

I'll say one thing and leave the rest. Andrew Garfield was a poor choice.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Thank You For Your Service (2017) – Jason Hall

You don’t want to die? It was multiple choice and you said you wanted to die. Was that a lie? Adam?

I don’t know.

In Thank You For Your Service, director Jason Hall follows his characters, hardened military men, into the hottest, deadliest battlefield they’ll ever enter, the hellish world of their own minds. There are brief sequences here of fighting in the Middle East, but the bulk of this movie is taken up with what happens to American soldiers when they return and are, essentially, abandoned to deal with their mental, emotional, physical & financial needs on their own. The movie mostly focuses on two soldiers, played by Miles Teller & Beulah Koale, as they try to reintegrate into normal society while dealing with intense cases of PTSD. The cast is very good and it’s led by a really, really fine performance by Miles Teller, not that this is any surprise. Koale is somewhat less effective, but Teller is just an actor on a different level from most. Haley Bennett is very good as Teller’s wife and Scott Haze, a character actor I love more every time I see him, is absolutely brilliant in a brief role as an injured soldier who’s finally come to some level of peace with his situation. The title, taken from the original book, is a strange one for a movie, but I think the movie ultimately makes a really powerful indictment, which is that when our soldiers come home from putting their lives on the line and enduring terrible circumstances, what America essentially offers them is a handshake, a hearty “Thank you for your service,” and . . . well, that’s about it actually. “Thank you for your service” is the most we give our veterans and this simply shouldn’t be the case. The movie, more than any other target, really indicts the military for the way it treats its troubled soldiers. There are some infuriating scenes of the main characters trying to get treatment from an uncaring bureaucracy. This lack of compassion runs down to the individual when it comes to leadership. A scene where a ranking officer tries to talk the Teller character out of seeing a therapist because it will show weakness is brutal and a scene where Koale attempts to explain his suicidal compulsions to a distracted officer who won’t even stop online shopping long enough to listen is absolutely rage inducing. The movie isn’t perfect; it feels a bit sanitized at times, like it’s afraid to go quite as harrowing as some movies might, though it is still disturbing. And the ending is a disappointment; after a lot of time spent with people suffering, it feels very tidy the way that the movie just decides to wrap everything up for a nice happy ending in the very last scene. Still, it’s a compelling movie and one that gets at a serious cultural problem in a way that’s both compassionate to those that are suffering and sincere in its care for them. 3 stars.

tl;dr – sincere, compassionate movie explores PTSD & the lack of support offered to returning soldiers and offers some great performances; falls short of greatness, but an admirable film. 3 stars.

Sarge likes this.