main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, apparently Tom Jones was a big fan, and was thrilled to do it. You can tell. I think the song itself isn't that great, but Jones elevates it with his voice and enthusiasm.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Murder On The Orient Express (2017). I haven't read the book and even then I can tell the book is better. The biggest problem with it is that so many characters are under developed. When you have a murder mystery, where numerous characters are suspects, it's important to know what their background stories are and what possible motivations they could have had for committing the murder. Trying to cram all of that into a two hour movie doesn't exactly work. I imagine in the book the characters are much more fleshed out. Also I don't know why Branagh had a thing for one-take scenes in this movie because they really didn't add much. Seems like he was just putting them in for the sake of trying to be creative. And some of the acting was just bad, specifically Michelle Pfeiffer.

On the positive side though I did like Branagh's performance and Poirot as a character. With regards to the ending
    I actually did like that in a classic whodunnit mystery, they all did it! I suppose that's one of the reasons why people like the book. It's nice a little twist on the format.
    All in all, a perfectly average movie.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Kid from Kwang Tung (1983) Hsu Hsia's directorial debut for Shaw Brothers is peppered with enough great kung fu to sort of forgive the ever annoying Wong Yu's unfunny business. Wong gets mixed up with an anti-Qing group who have the government breathing down their necks. In comes, a supernaturally charged Qing enforcer Hwang Jang Lee (who occasionally becomes possessed by the black cat he often travels with), so HJL's high voltage kicking style is mixed with a cat-like variant on Eagle Claw. Meow. Our nefarious Cat-man eventually takes out the elder who led the rebellion only to come up against his daughter and two friends (including Wong and his monkey kung fu.)

I love watching Hwang Jang Lee fight, but in almost every single movie where he plays the villain he's taken out in exceptionally stupid ways. Kid is no exception (Wong almost covers himself in burning incense sticks to ward off his opponent.) Still, it's fun watching Hwang go at it and the choreography is good enough to make Wong Yu look pretty darn good considering he was barely an opponent. A bit more successful is Hwang's only other appearance for Shaws, the hilarious and very entertaining Ghosts Galore. I am due to revisit that one.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Thunderball theme ushered in a new tradition in Bond themes, ie. resorting to Dada poetry-esque nonsense lyrics in order to forcefully jam an awkward title into the song.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    So is it worth paying $20 to or should I wait for iTunes?

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)
    Los Angeles cop Chris Kenner (Dolph Lundgren) is an American who was raised in Japan. He is given a new partner, Johnny Murata (Brandon Lee), an American of partial Japanese descent. Kenner is as much (if not more) Japanese as he is American and Murata know nothing about Japanese culture beside martial arts. On their first day together they, more or less, stumble upon the Iron Claw yakuza trying to expand their operation. Things get more complicated when they later finds out that the Iron Claw is led by Yoshida (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in excellent form), who Kenner has personal vengeance against for killing his parents. And then there is the beautiful female witness in need of protection

This movie is full of gun battles, martial arts, samurai sword slashing, gory deaths, tacky shirts and bad one-liners. All in all a fun action movie without any real depth.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    iTunes.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Joe vs The Volcano (1990) I saw it on the big screen when it was first released, and it's been one of my go-to feel-good movies ever since. It's silly, but it's also warm and funny and beautiful.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    You Only Live Twice - For some reason I had fonder memories of this than Thunderball, but this is worse. Like Thunderball, it meanders and takes way too long to get going, and it doesn't end up being worthwhile, anyway.

The title music is interesting and Nancy Sinatra seems like a great choice, but the lyrics are terrible and Sinatra doesn't elevate them. The title sequence itself is pretty weak, seeming to think a bunch of rising sun symbols are all that's needed. The silhouettes of naked geishas with very visible nipples are definitely the most risque thing the title sequences have done so far, though I'm aware they will push it in future efforts.

Apparently Osato is going to have Bond killed literally right outside the front door of his very public company.

The idea of a helicopter being stored in four suitcases is kinda neat in a geeky way, and I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere that this is a real thing (which is kinda cool outside the movie). But the helicopter action is lame and beyond silly, the Bond theme is so ironic it only serves to parody the sequence. The missiles that loop back and take out the final bad guy are just sad. Really, really sad end to a sad sequence.

The rocket landing in the volcano is just an awful sequence. The effects are really bad in this movie. I guess I appreciate the absurdity of a secret volcano lair, though.

Only one person uses a Walther PPK, eh? In Dr. No, M said the CIA swears by it. We're all agreed that Pleasence/Blofeld is just terrible here, right? Dr Evil from Austin Powers isn't so much a parody as a pretty accurate portrayal of Blofeld.

Because I grew up post-Cold War, a lot of these old Cold War plots involving nukes and the space race don't really do anything for me. The idea of SPECTRE capturing space capsules to start a war is pretty lame.

It's a terrible Bond movie. It drags, the villains are by far the worst so far, the plot is weak, the effects are terrible. There are few nice things. The Toyota 2000GT was pretty nice, Aki and Kissy are pretty effective in their roles (Helga is terrible) and I guess some of the action in the volcano is okay, but there's just not enough to make even a decent movie.

The best thing about this movie was Moneypenny in a naval uniform. I haven't mentioned her yet, but Lois Maxwell is lovely. This movie would have been much better if it were a Bond/Moneypenny romantic comedy.

Rankings

FRWL
    Goldfinger
    Dr. No
    Thunderball
    You Only Live Twice

After two poor films in a row I guess it was time for Connery to step out of the role, if only for a moment.

10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Great Wall I love the premise that the great wall was there to protect against an invasion of giant man eating lizards, its the kind of ridiculous action movie I'm drawn to. As it happens its not such a great film. Plenty of over the top CGI battles and lots of cliched characters too. It comes across as a cross between Starship Troopers, the Mummy 3 and something like Zulu.

FRWL is simply my favourite Bond film ever. A solid story without too much silliness, with good performances and excellent characters throughout.

For some reason I've never warmed to Goldfinger, of course it has its iconic moments and theres a lot to like in it, but I actually prefer Thunderball over it. I prefer its story, even though its much slower to build.

One things that intrigues me is that whilst the effects of the 60's Bond films look dated by todays standards, is how were they received at the time? Did audiences accept them as being convincing?

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Well, I liked it.
    You say that as if that is a bad thing.

12. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I personally I love Thunderball and You Only Live Twice

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'm glad you liked it. I was looking forward to it but I lost interest half way through.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Wow. Quite a pleasantly surprising experience. I watched it about two years ago and thought it was very solid, but this time around I just loved it.

Pretty sweet intro of Lazenby as Bond with the driving sequence and the rescue and heavy brawl on the beach. Lazenby gives the role a sense of realism and vulnerability I'm not sure Connery could manage at the time, along with some really heavy slugging fisticuffs.

Tracy really is a Bond girl for all time, a wounded woman in need of rescue in more ways than one, but possessing a stubborn yet vulnerable independent streak that she never really loses (she doesn't go all soft on us), near perfectly realistic action capabilities and a civilian's sense of fun in experiencing a dangerous adventure with a dashing spy. She makes the chase around the ice race track an absolute blast, with this thrilling grin on her face the whole time. I think it pretty notable/rare that she gets to drive the car during the chase at all, but she actually does a great job and they make their escape.

Savalas is far superior to Pleasance as Blofeld, he lends it some real slimy, creepy guy menace...even if the character is still a bit silly.

Even the bobsled chase worked for me this time, seeming much more intense, and the end really hurt, actually drawing a few tears from me when it never has before.

The film indulges in plenty of continuity, appropriate for the new Bond, and the very personal story. The title sequence features clips from previous Bond films, making sure we know that yes this film is connected to the others. If that wasn't enough, we actually get a look at Bond's own office (he has one?!) and desk as he takes a trip down memory lane while considering resignation, showing us Honey Ryder's knife and belt, Robert Shaw's watch with razor wire, and his mini-breather from Thunderball. And there's a visit to M's home as well?

Despite all the time spent to establish him in the role, Lazenby was only with us for one movie. George Lazenby, we hardly knew ye.

This feels like a reactionary ranking, but what's the point of going through them again if I'm not going to let myself be swayed?

Rankings

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    FRWL
    Goldfinger
    Dr. No
    Thunderball
    You Only Live Twice

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I need to revisit this one. I've talked about it quite a bit online especially after Wes Craven passed. It's got some nostalgic value for me as it does have that 90's goofiness. And yet it still frustrates me how revolutionary people thought it was. Really the whole movie is pointing out that tropes exist. Every genre has tropes why is horror the only one condemned by it?

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    [​IMG]

After seeing Justice League, I felt the need to cleanse my pallet with something that was better conceived and structured.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

Scream is the first horror movie I've watched in years (just not my genre), so I can't claim to be any sort of expert on it, but I think as much or more than its hook of calling attention to horror movie tropes what made Scream stand out was its style, tone and dialog. Kevin Williamson came along, and like John Hughes in the 80s, brought a very distinct style and voice to movies and TV aimed primarily at teens that was then copied ad nauseam for the rest of the decade and beyond.

I said in my review that it's not really "dated", but that doesn't mean it isn't brimming with 90sness. From the soundtrack to the clothes to the basic zeitgeist, it will definitely act as a touchstone for those of us who lived it, so it should scratch those itches for you.

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Ant-Man (2015)
    First time watching this since seeing it at the cinema. It's still fun. I thought everything worked well in the film, and it doesn't go for an over-blown world-saving plot but keeps things pretty personal. I was surprised how much I enjoyed seeing this again.

19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Wonder Woman - 2nd time seeing it for me but first time for the wife. Still holds up wonderfully. The wife said it was "really good" which is the highest compliment I think she's given to a comic book movie.

20. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Prince of Egypt (1998)

My girlfriend hadn't seen it, and it's one of my all-time favorite animated movies of the era. I always liked how it focused on Moses's earlier life and his relationship with Ramesses. Not sure if it was intentional, but Ramesses was easily the most sympathetic character in the movie.

Also the soundtrack is incredible.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Fun thing, I was actually just listening on the Swedish version of 'Playing with the big boys now'

PCCViking and -RebelScum- like this.
  22. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Judgment at Nuremberg. A bit stagey in places, but a solid courtroom drama with superb performances all round.

23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow (1978)

It’s been awhile since I’ve watched this one.

Yuen Woo Ping casts his father Yuen Siu Tien as Pai Chang-Tien, the sole surviving Snake fist teacher in this story. It seems the villainous Eagle Claw master Sheng Kuan Yi-Yuan (Hwang Jang Lee) will succeed in his plan to eliminate Snake style Kung Fu from China. Shang has already eliminated 3,000 pupils with his predatory strikes and kicks. The only Snake Practioners left are Pai and the son of Chao Chi-chih.

Sheng Kan sends his spies including a wiley Russian pretending to be a priest (Roy Horan, anAmerican martial artist and student of Hwang) to locate Pai for his Sifu.

Jackie Chan’s useless Chien Fu saves Pai Chang-Tien early on and so the older man teaches his pupil Snake fist under the condition that Fu does not call Pay his master. After catching the attention of Sheng Kuan, Master and student flee while Fu develops a new “Cat” style after watching his pet tabby face off against a cobra. With his new Cat style, Chien Fu faces off against Sheng and his nefarious missionary (Roy Horan always endured silly over the top demises in these things and this one was quite goofy and “painful.”)

The choreography by Woo-Ping and actor/stunt man Has Hsia is fantastic, even though Jackie is Jackie (not convincing in the role and not funny. Though to be fair this is the kung fu performance he ever gave. Jackie is not going through motions to make something attempt to look funny here.) The comedy is largely unsuccessful except when Yuen Siu-Tien is involved.

That said, I cannot help thinking how much better this movie would have been had Yuen Woo-Ing’s first choice Alexander Fu Sheng been cast instead. Alex has a more natural comedic style, he can act and could have adapted to the kung fu Chien Fu is required to perform. It’s unfortunate that serious injuries side-lined him.

Points for this one actually having a story and decent characters. More points for the absolutely adorable kitty (even if it is three different orange and white cats ;)). Hwang Jang Lee is awesome. He does not disappoint. Roy Horan is tons of fun and it’s always neat to see Chiang Kam (who looked like a younger Sammo Hung and was very good at comedy. He’s hilarious in Ghosts Galore.)

So Hwang and his underlings, choreography, kitties, kung fu and the story make a for swell indie Kung Fu film even if Jackie Chan seems to deflate every scene he’s in.

[​IMG]

Indeed! :p

Dagobahsystem and Gamiel like this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Space Battleship Yamato. Fun ride. Throw Michael Bay, complete with Aerosmith song :p, Battlestar and Japanese cartoons into a blender and this is what you get.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Absolutely amazing. Great sense of humor, fantastic writing, beautiful cinematography, and I love it.