main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Fist Fight (2017)

A comedy that forgot the comedy. Do not watch this movie.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Midnight Return .

doc about the life of Billy Hayes and the movie about him: Midnight Express . Really good . It covers the real story and the movie , includes interviews with Parker and Stone .
    I knew the movie had caused some fuss but didn't know how much , I can see why the Turks were so offended , but it is a very good film .
    Turns out Hayes wasn't as innocent as he made out , he had actually smuggled hashish out of Turkey 3 times previously . Stone put in some of his own anger into the screenplay - he himself had been caught trying to bring in some weed from Mexico .
    Hayes recently went back to Turkey and made his peace with them apologising for some of the more racist elements of the movie .

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    What about what he was subjected to in the prisons? Somehow I doubt the he had much forgiveness for that.

4. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    He was sentenced to 5 years , then 50 days before he was due to be released something political happened and they increased his sentence to 30 years , that was his low point . I'm not sure how much he was beaten , the movie did exagerrate certain things . He did end up in the mental asylum tho , which he says was just as grim as it appeared .

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Hopefully after 30 years he learned his lesson; not to smuggle drugs into Turkey anymore.

Sarge likes this.
  6. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Just got back from seeing Fistful of Dollars at the cinema. It might not be as good as it's sequels (or Yojimbo for that matter), but it's still really, really good.

tom and cubman987 like this.
  7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Last night I watched The Force Awakens on DVD. It's been close to a year since I last watched it on DVD. I really enjoyed it.

8. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Baahubali: The Beginning and Baahubali 2: The Conclusion

Both were my first experience with Indian cinema. Which through research I understand were Tollywood films and not Bollywood. But I had a great time with both. Some unbelievable action. A very charismatic lead. And just a great sense of fun. If I had a small nitpick for both I’d say some of the musical numbers went a little too long.

But both are on Netflix and well worth time if you have it.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Caicedo (with Pole)
    (1894) – William K.L. Dickson

I thought Caicedo was a technical term, but it’s actually the name of the subject here, an acrobat who walks across a bouncy rope with a long pole. This guy is actually super-graceful and even in the poor quality here, it looks pretty cool when he does a couple of flips and then neatly lands on the rope again. Still, it’s no Boxing Cats. 1 star.

tl;dr – graceful acrobatics for a few seconds. 1 star.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah , where are the boxing cats ? I guess these little films were the youtube of their day , but they definitely need more cats .

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Currently watching Alien: Covenant on the Premiere movie channel. Missed this in the cinema. Not too bad so far.

AndyLGR and Dagobahsystem like this.
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The Thrill of it All (1963) James Garner - Doris Day "comedy" about her new career as a spokeswoman and hubby Garner's attempts to get to her to stop. She does and they live happily ever after. Or something. :cool:

Dagobahsystem and CT-867-5309 like this.
  13. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    That movie is great, imo. Visually stunning and quite suspenseful.
    Hope you enjoyed it. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    LAJ_FETT likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm watching Tremors on one of the movie channels. I've seen it before but not recently. Not a bad film.

cubman987 , AndyLGR and Dagobahsystem like this.
  15. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Watched the last hour or so of CA: Civil War and then the last hour or so of Spider-Man: Homecoming. I enjoy both of those movies a lot. Was in the mood for some MCU, but not enough time to marathon entire films.

PCCViking likes this.
  16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Michael Keaton should have a lot of frequent flier miles: Batman, Birdman, the Vulture. :p

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Tremors is a real guilty pleasure of mine. It knows exactly what it is. I love watching that one when it’s on. I can’t even remember if it got a cinema release in the U.K., I just remember deciding to hire it from our local video rental shop.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have Tremors in my collection somewhere. Still have yet to see it.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)
    I just watched this movie today on Amazon Prime. It's not bad; a decent story with a huge overload of CGI from beginning to end. I didn't really feel too much for any of the characters, outside of the princess and the peaceful beings whose planet was wiped out early on. I'd imagine a movie like that would've been pretty nice to see in theaters, especially in 3D.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, that's cool. I wonder where they got that idea.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I think Valerian was written in the 60's . Wasn't it ?

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, Star Wars took inspiration from it, not the other way around.

Dagobahsystem and Master_Lok like this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Girl With All the Gifts (2016) Maybe it's a good movie if you're into zombie apocalypse blood and gore. I'm not. Once again, I got sucked into watching a movie I didn't like just because Gemma Arterton was in it. I wish she'd make more films that I like. She and Glenn Close were better than their material, as was the little girl in the lead role. What a little charmer; I hope she goes on to better things. Oh, and the final scene looked like something from a DVD special feature alternate ending. I wonder if that was how it was originally written, or if there were other possibilities that they tried.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.