main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    The Phantom Menace. It’s my least favourite out of the films, but I still love it. Fantastic soundtrack. Some really great sequences (pod racing and duel of the fates). Plus Qui-Gon is the best character in it. Liam Neeson does a superb job. 9/10.

The next film I’ll be seeing is Solo tomorrow. Very exciting!

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The answer is: watch Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest movies instead.;)

The more I thought about 47 Ronin the more the Asian cast is the only good thing about it.

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Deadpool 2
    Highly entertaining two hours at the movie theater. Reynolds continues to be great as Wade Wilson. Thought the plot was better than the original. This one was certainly more meta than the first but some of the jokes and running gags throughout the movie are hilarious (the wind advisory and Black Tom Cassidy). Plus one of the best mid-credits scenes.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Currently watching The Trollenberg Terror (1958) on Talking Pictures TV. Haven't seen this in years. US folks will know this as The Crawling Eye.

Hoping to see Solo tomorrow morning - it opens here a day earlier than the US.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    STAR WARS - SOLO

10/10

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Director Joseph Kosinski's two sci-fi efforts (The other being Tron Legacy) have definitely been exceptionally impressive on a technical level, managing to be simultaneously dazzling and immersive (The two can often mutually exclusive or work @ cross purposes). The main criticism I've seen against each film is that they keep you @ arm's length emotionally, though I'd argue each features @ least one strong emotional beat;
    Kevin Flynn's sacrifice for Sam in Legacy, and Cruise's character's similar sacrifice in Oblivion
    . I love the former film, but the latter left me a bit cold overall (though I need to and plan to re-watch it). I haven't seen his third effort, Only the Brave, but as I understand it, it's gut punch emotionally. When he was announced as the director of the otherwise head-scratching Top Gun sequel, my hopes for it rose a bit.

It's the only film in the series I actually kinda-sorta liked. Heck, it's the only film in the series I've managed to watch beginning to end. I know the first one is beloved (the 2nd not so much), but I've never been able to get past the half way mark in numerous attempts. I watched the 3rd one on a whim and found it breezy, fun and charming. It had a sort of... I dunno, Austin Powers vibe @ times. I give the bulk of the credit for my liking it to Josh Brolin.

Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)
    - Plot; Imprisoned Special Forces vet John J. Rambo is offered a mission to gather evidence of American POW's still being held in Vietnam, but not everyone wants him to succeed.

In 1985, Stallone's two most iconic characters each returned to the big screen. In both instances, critics claimed that the franchises had strayed far away from their roots. Rocky Balboa had gone from a simple underdog plying the only trade he had in a methodically crafted drama to a more erudite fighting machine in a slick, fast-paced story--more montage than movie--that is at once a revenge tale and a Cold War parable. It's immensely entertaining, and a tad more clever regarding the latter than I think it's given credit for, but its connection to the original Rocky is tenuous at best.

Rambo II is similarly seen as departure from the original, and in some ways that's certainly true. Like Rocky IV, Rambo II is far slicker than the original. But the idea that it's a "jingoistic" flag-waver isn't exactly true IMO. The original First Blood wasn't by any means the first film to tackle the aftermath of the Vietnam War and its returning veterans, but it may be its most effective. Married w/raw, white knuckle action, it puts a laser-like focus on PTSD and the struggle of those who returned home w/o the tickertape parades of vets past. Though it's been parodied over the years, Stallone's emotional collapse at the end of that film is some of the most powerful and brutally honest acting I've ever seen.

Rambo II sees the character recruited for a mission that's ultimately a scam, leaving him for dead to save the butt's of the bureaucrats. At the end, when asked what he wants, he says that he (and his fellow vets) only want to be loved by their country as much as they love it. This isn't Rah! Rah! USA! USA! stuff. Sure, the Russians show up and Rambo blasts, slices and dices his way through them, but this is far, far less black and white than Rocky IV. Is it any good? Yeah. Well, maybe not "good", but is it entertaining? Yeah. Yeah it is.

It's a taught, 90 minute actioner than probably has less than 20 lines of dialog in its final half hour, but that's to its advantage. Helmed by red-meat director George P. Cosmatos, it's a technically more proficient actioner than many of its contemporaries. Stallone's Rambo character lacks that raw, exposed nerve edge he had in First Blood, becoming more of the monosyllabic killing machine we think of these days, but as always he remains a compelling on-screen presence. Richard Crenna returns as Rambo's former C.O. in a thankless role that sees him only pop up to occasionally remind us how big Rambo's wang is. Charles Napier and Martin Kove do yeoman's work as the de facto villains.

Rambo II is a solid 80s actioner, but it's mostly noteworthy because it's not the Right Wing flag-waver it's purported to be. As a Right Wing flag-waver myself, I know 'em when I see 'em. That would be Stallone's other film from 1985, Rocky IV. - 6.5/10

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Rambo II was also originally written by Cameron before Stallone rewrote most of it. Some of the action sequences from his script still remain, but not much else. But the result of that affected his [Cameron's] approach to writing films moving forward:

James Cameron, Monsterland #13 October 1986 : "It was quite a different film from FIRST BLOOD, apart from the continuation of the Rambo character. The first one was set in a small town, it had a different social consciousness from the second one, which was a very broad, stylized adventure. It was a little more violent in its execution than I had in mind in the writing"

"I admire the film's success and I'm happy for everybody involved, but I always have to distance myself from it because it's not the film I wrote – it was substantially rewritten by Sylvester Stallone. The script that I wrote was pretty violent, but not in such an amoral way. (...) I know very little about Stallone, because my work with him consisted of one lunch to discuss the script. He said, "I think you should put a girl in it."" - Us Interview '91

Galactic Journal 1986: (Rambo First Blood Part II) was eventually altered by its star in order to accommodate his rightwing vision of the Vietnam conflict. Cameron's story focused more on the character and the dilemmas he had to face as a man who has been shattered by war. While Cameron does not want to totally disassociate himself from 'Rambo', he does find the ending of the Stallone vehicle "breathtaking in its stupidity" "

James Cameron: "(Rambo II) was written at a point when I had no money and was waiting to start shooting T1. Basically I did it as a writing assignment to stay alive for six months. To be honest I did that project because I felt First Blood was a pretty good film. It walked a fine line - Rambo doesn't kill anybody, but he disassembles almost an entire National Guard unit with snares and slings, relying on cunning and ingenuity to outsmart them. The second film, the one I wrote, was by its nature a little more violent because Rambo was going into enemy territory, but I tried to walk the same line. He didn't go out of his way to slaughter people just because they were wearing wrong uniform. A lot of moral distinctions I tried to build into the script got carved away during the shoot. I didn't want to attach myself to that film in a strong way because the end result didn't represent what I wrote. It taught me the danger of writing something over which I'd have no control once it was done, and I won't do that again" (On Production magazine 1992)

I really need to get around to seeing that, given how much I love Tron Legacy and enjoy Oblivion. I'm really curious to see what he can do outside of the sci-fi genre and see how his architectural and engineering-based approach influences it.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Master_Lok and Juke Skywalker like this.
  8. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Solo: A Star Wars Story

WOW! I’m completely blown away! That was honestly amazing. Alden is a fantastic Han and gives his own take on the character that works so well. Chewie is better than he’s ever been. Lando was done perfectly. ALL of the new characters are incredible. The visuals were perfect. The action was breathtaking. It was charming and funny. The story is great. You couldn’t ask for a better origin story than that. The soundtrack is brilliant as always with some returning classic themes. It really feels like it belongs in the saga. It’s just a really, really, really well made film. I can’t wait to see it again!

Mandalorian Riddler likes this.
  9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    @The2ndQuest I'd forgotten Cameron had any attachment here until his name popped up in the opening credits. He and Stallone are both credited, and I instinctively knew that Stallone had probably heavily re-written a Cameron draft. As I watched it, I was on the lookout for any remaining Cameron DNA and failed to find any. Thanks for the Cameron quotes. They pretty much affirm what I'd suspected.

Ditto. I knew it didn't fare very well @ the b/o, but I didn't know just how bad ($23 million worldwide). Great critical and audience response though (%87 RT, 7.7 IMDb).

Master_Lok likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Saw Solo this morning. I liked it - might go again after next week (kids are off school then).

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @The2ndQuest - thanks for the info on Rambo II - all these years I have been thinking it was purely Cameron’s script (I never bothered to look at the credits, but I should have known Stallone had a big hand in writing because of the tone. Well Cameron got his proper ‘Nam movie in with Aliens (and that is the only Cameron movie I still watch and love on a semi-regular basis largely because of the cast.

@Juke Skywalker I love Men in Black and Men in Black 3. Tommy Lee Jones pulling off NY sarcastic humor wins every time. I still laugh at some of the one liners in the first one, but hey, different strokes. :)

Unless something happens with my friend, seeing Deadpool 2 this evening. We could use a laugh.:)

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    According to this one site, two non-action scenes remain (though the dialogue has been simplified/cut down):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of Cameron's DNA in the movie is during some of the action sequences, but I don't see specifics on which.

Cameron actually reused a little of the "overcoming past trauma" angle from his Rambo II script in Aliens.

"One of the things that interested me is that there are a lot of soldiers from Vietnam, who have been in intense combat situations, who re-enlisted to go back again. Because they had these psychological problems that they had to work out. It's like an inner demon to be exorcised. I did a bit of that in Rambo, but it didn't get used." - Lofficier.com:

"Well, I came rather late to that. I actually thought the first one was a pretty good film. That's what attracted me to the second one, the underdog story. I was kind of fascinated by Vietnam at that point and what a weird and surreal kind of war that was. So my approach to it was a lot heavier, a lot more character. I just ran into Sly (Stallone) recently, and he was saying that when he looks back on it -although he doesn't have any regrets, in a way he wished he could have done the script that I wrote because they did wind up throwing out about the first half of it. They kept a lot of the action. They just kind of made it a "Mission Impossible" thing -for me it took on kind of a superhero-type quality. I thought it was much more interesting to kind of explore this traumatized character. Maybe I'll get to use that stuff somewhere else. I used a bit of it in "Aliens," having them come back from something they were traumatized by. There was a bit of that delayed stress syndrome stuff in "Aliens" they didn't use in "Rambo II." - Hollywood Reporter 1986:

Juke Skywalker and Master_Lok like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Rambo: First Blood Part II was where I first heard and learned the meaning of "expendable."

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  14. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    And that is his prerogative if he did so. I can totally relate to not wanting people to reedit, recut, remix, remaster and otherwise meddle with my art. On a practical level, it takes a lot of space and effort to properly store those unused negative film cans. If he was determined that they never were to be released, why keep storing them, especially as he neared the end of his life. Perhaps he was doing some "spring cleaning" to ensure his wishes were complied with.
    The cut final scene from The Shining is not very interesting and as a denouement, would have taken away from the end of the film, imo. Would have made it much more in line with any typical horror film, what with setting up the possibility of a sequel. You will note, too that Stephen King remade The Shining, as he wished it to be more completely based on his own book. Although somewhat entertaining and worth a look, overall it's a pretty dreadful film when compared to Kubrick's version.

I like the scene when Tom's character goes back to the little oasis to listen to Led Zeppelin and chill by the water. And overall, I thought his performance captured some subtle emotion, especially in the scenes involving his wife and her counterpart who betrays him.
    I haven't seen Only The Brave either.

Kubo and the Two Strings
    An awesome film, hopefully destined to be regarded as a classic by many. The stop motion is mind blowing. I really respect the care and artistry that went into this film. Excellent music and a compelling story about family. There are several impactful messages in this film. It's a real treat visually as well, several inventive and dazzling set pieces keep the action rolling in between the more expository sections. Three viewings for me, so far, and it gets better each time.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  15. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Couldn't agree more, the surprises, the everything.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Deadpool 2 - loved Brolin and the mid credits scenes. Of course I laughed at
    winter soldier line and the parachute jump scene
    My friend and hoped it would be much funnier. He was bummed he realized he missed Five Element Ninjas for this; I was too.

And Solo is a bust as I figured. Friend bailed and I have no desire pay more than rental price to see it.

@The2ndQuest - thanks for that info. You can definitely see the PSTD in some characters in Aliens (Hudson is pretty obvious).

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Solo: A Star Wars Story- That subtitle lets you know this isn't the movie starring Mario Von Peebles.

So, this was really pretty fun- it didn’t blow me away but it felt like a solid little adventure in that universe. It was like a Star Wars novel come to life (with so many deep cut EU references to further that vibe- there are at least two words in the film I would never, in a million years, ever have expected to hear spoken aloud in a Star Wars movie). The whole Kessel sequence is definitely the best part of the movie, though- that's where it really comes to life the most.

It's about as best a Solo origin story as one could hope for- and the film definitely adds some things to the saga that are unexpected (which already rises above my in-check expectations going in). Alden, while not a perfect young Ford, does his own thing to make the character his own while still orbiting Ford's wheelhouse. The voice pitch never quite gets there (and that's probably the biggest thing that might throw you off) but he does have quite a few moments where he echoes Ford's mannerisms and such pretty spot on- and none of them are in the trailers.

Anyone who hasn’t seen it yet should make the extra effort to avoid spoilers though- even though this is a prequel mostly about characters whom we know the fate of, there’s at least one huge surprise you don’t want to have ruined for you.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Solo: A Star Wars Story

Let's just put it that way: Lucasfilms should definitely make more of these anthology films (between this and Rogue One). A good way to expand or tell more stories about the GFFA without always having a Jedi vs Sith plot (or similar conflicts).

If you've seen Rebels and The Clone Wars, then you'll know that Maul has survived. Given what happens in Rebels, this movie takes place a good while before the show. If you haven't...well... ;)

19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I caught that this time 'round and had an "Ah-ha!" moment.

[face_laugh]

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Deadpool 2
    Really funny in the tastless and dark joke way.
    I feel bad for the Shatterstar and Bedlam fans (I don't think Zeitgeist have any fans)

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The last movie I saw was SOLO: A Star Wars Story.

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Solo: A Star Wars Story - better than I expected. Probably my least favorite of the new movies but still quite good. Lots of fun and entertaining - which is really all I wanted it to be. Highlight for me was Glover as Lando but I was also surprised at how good Alden was as Han - tough role and I think he did about as well as he could have.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    "**** you?"

And now the review project being kept afloat by sheer OCD continues.

The Hornback-Murphy Fight (1894) – William K.L. Dickson

This is another snippet from a real boxing match. 0 stars.

tl;dr – 0 stars.

In all seriousness, there are a couple coming up shortly that actually are pretty interesting and get fairly long write-ups from me. But there's just nothing to say about this one.

24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Saw "Solo" tonight and I thought it was very good. After TLJ, I wanted a fast-paced, fun adventure and I got it.

One downside was having to sit through the trailers for "Skyscraper", "Venom", the new "Mission: Impossible" movie, "Adrift", the new "Fantastic Beasts" movie, the Freddie Mercury biopic, "Ant-Man & the Wasp", and "Incredibles 2". And then there was the student-made Coke commercial. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who said, "Finally!" when the actual movie started.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    You guys are lucky that you get heaps of movie trailers. In New Zealand it’s 20-25 minutes of ads beforehand, with only a few being actual movie trailers.