main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    American Beauty (1999)

Wow. Simply amazing. Just, everything about this movie blew me away. It effortlessly handles multiple complex issues with such a great cast of characters. Kevin Spacey transcends acting in his portrayal of Lester Burnham. You never really know what you should think of him, perhaps because he plays the everyman role so well as to be familiar to different people for different reasons. And you'd think the film would have to rest on Spacey's shoulders; but the rest of the cast are absolutely essential in conveying this strange yet familiar story. Chris Cooper is scary good as a sort of foil to Spacey, while the younger members of the cast seem to fit their archetypes perfectly. Add in Annette Bening as Lester's wife, bringing her own gravitas to the fore, figuratively refusing to relinquish top spectacle to Spacey, and you get a collection of people, not characters.

On the subject of beauty, the film is just so meticulously well put together. There were more than a few occasions where I imagined some of the shots as paintings. And it goes beyond the famous imagery of rose petals- the film's look plays a key role in expanding upon the various themes of the story. From the various juxtaposing of sets and characters to the extra perspective provided by a home video camera, the film's visuals are a character unto themselves, adding more and more layers to the cast as the story progresses. Just, outstanding direction on Sam Mendes' part. Great soundtrack and score too.

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Zootopia

Took my 3 year old daughter, she loved it, so did I

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I Spit on Your Grave III

Definitely the Highlander II of the series. Very disappointing.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    In which Celestial needs to move their butts and put these Shaw Brothers films on iTunes and other digital platforms stat:

Judgement of An Assassin (1977) - Love it. Smart story, great characters and an awesome villain. Not just one of my most favorite Shaw Brothers films, but among my most favorite films period.

The Proud Youth (1978) - Hate the lead character / actor, but the assassin working for the lead baddie is fantastic and sleazy. Not something I am used to seeing in a wuxia. This film is kind of growing on me with the exception of the lead character and the awful, goofy bad choreography for him once he powers up.

Two Champions of Shaolin (1980) - Love it. Shaping up to be one of my favorite Venoms films.

Mercenaries from Hong Kong (1982) Absolutely OTT men on a mission action comedy gold. Love it. Not every joke works but the brawl with he title characters clad in matching track suits against chopper wielding triads is a lot funnier than it should ever be.

--

I tried watching Dragon Lord but I really do not like Jackie Chan outside of Project A (and even that was pushing it.) Still, I imagine I'll eventually wince my way through since Chan Wai Man has a secondary role in this.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Rockford Files: Friends and Foul Play. When one of Jim's friends is convinced a mobster had her son killed, she winds up dead after harassing him; Jim investigates. There are points where the films leans cheesy (I'm not sure it needed all the mopey reading from her journal) but in general it's effective, and the banter is fantastic. It even manages to pull off a conceptually cheesy premise -- Chapman is leading a college criminology class that he lets trample all over the crime scenes, so Jim enrolls in the class -- by playing it low key, just another one of Jim's many, many scams to get at information. Not a series highlight, but solid.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The Rifftrax Live version of "Time Chasers". Very funny stuff, and the movie is actually pretty good.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    People Places Things (2015)

A nice little heartfelt comedy about a man trying to deal with a divorce while also trying to remain relevant in the lives of his two daughters. Jemaine Clement (of Flight of the Conchords fame) carries the film, and he does well at appearing as a well-functioning member of society despite his hardships and self-esteem issues. His character is an artist, and the artwork he creates throughout the film works as a sort of window into his mind, showing how he feels about his life circumstances. Mostly I liked just how well the artwork captured Jemaine's look. :p

Also gotta give credit to Regina Hall (of Scary Movie fame) who does surprisingly well in a serious role. Jessica Williams also appears and she does fairly well in her role as one of Jemaine's art students. She's already one of the best parts of The Daily Show, so it's nice to see her broaden out into more general acting.

8. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Purple Rain. The musical numbers are absolutely incredible, it's just a shame that the rest of the film is a bit rubbish (although Morris Day is enjoyably camp)

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    High-Rise

I give it 8 out of 10

It's a charmed little film about class warfare, set in 70's Britain. It's really well shot, and everything about it is slightly deranged, and extremely decadent. It's like nothing else I've seen in a long time. Tom Hiddleston is excellent in it, as is Jeremy Irons as the building's architect. Well worth checking out.

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Captain America: Civil War - I loved it. Manages to give everyone good screen time and a meaningful place in the story and the new Spider-man is the best. Can't wait to see it again.

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    2002 Count of Monte Christo

Despite some plot changes from the book I don't approve of and an over-the-top Guy Pearce, the basic awesomeness of the underlying story still wins the day. Love this movie as a monument to Richard Harris and for wanting to tell the story again.

12. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    'We Bought a Zoo' :D

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Having never read the book (an oversight I plan to correct some day) I don't have any conflict about changes, additions and omissions (though I do sympathize with fans who do), so just based on what's there, I flat out love this movie. It successfully combines romance, betrayal, mystery, adventure and action and feels like an old fashioned swashbuckler in the best sense of the word. I agree, Harris is wonderful (though I happen to like Pearce here).

Captain America: Civil War (2016) - Like the vast majority of the movie going public this weekend, I suited up for another go 'round with the mighty MCU. Outside of the first Avengers, the Captain America films have been, for me at least, the best of the MCU to this point. First Joe Johnson delivers a fun period piece that, like its title character, builds its muscular action around an enormous heart. Then the Russo brothers craft a sleek, smart homage to the political thrillers of old in the exceptionally well made Winter Soldier. Now comes Civil War, also by the Russo's. If it's not quite on the level of the first two Cap films, it's miles better than the most recent solo efforts of Thor and Iron Man.

For all intents and purposes, this is really just another Avengers film. Only a few players sit this one out (Thor, Hulk) and while Cap is a central player, he's not the main character. That's because there really is no main character. Like Avengers, it's an ensemble. Cap may be 1A, and the friendship between he and Bucky the main dramatic thrust, but "Captain America" is a bit misleading.

This is a movie packed to bursting; with ideas, with story, and most certainly with characters. It's a bit bloated at times, lacking the laser-sharp focus of its predecessor. It never gets as unwieldy as Age of Ultron, but that's a backhanded compliment to be sure.

New characters were the big buzz going in, and they deliver. Chadwick Boseman has the charisma and physical goods to breath life into a character I knew nothing about and I look forward to his solo effort. Tom Holland (the seventeenth Spider-Man in the last decade, or so it seems), makes a big impact in his relatively brief screen time. In fact, his Spidey was like a B-12 shot here, waking the second act from its lethargy. The fact that he's an actual teenager really adds an important intangible to the character and it should be fun to watch him grow into the role.

There's a lot of really good stuff in here, unfortunately it just never flows as smoothly as I'd have liked. - 7/10

14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    To Catch a Thief (1955)

As far as Hitchcock films goes this was pretty good. Cary Grant was great as a former gentleman thief trying to clear his name, and Grace Kelly is pretty good as one of the new thief’s targets. I think I actually enjoyed Jessie Landis as her mother even more, though.

It’s got plenty of Hitch’s signature style, though it’s less of a thriller than most of his films, leaning more toward romance and heist-related suspense. It does look amazing, though, which is helped by the scenic vistas of the French Riviera. Also plenty of good humor throughout, much supplied by Grant.

Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Rockford Files: Punishment and Crime. David Chase makes an interesting move by bringing back a minor recurring character from the TV series, Megan Adams, a blind psychologist with whom Jim had an on-and-off relationship before she ditched him for another man. It works great, as Kathryn Harrold is very good in the role and it gives the film a certain weight in reaching back into the past like that. Adams is a good character, sympathetic and appealing, but not some perfect saint just because she's blind; she can be argumentative and is more than a little squirrelly in a relationship. There's a nice dynamic, as the case revolves around her drunken, drug-addled talent-agent cousin, of whom she's very fond and whom Jim hates. Best of all, he's played by a Dr. Tim Whatley-era Bryan Cranston. After he and Jim get into a fight, Cranston hires him anyway to track down a client who's disappeared, which gets everybody involved with the Russian mob. Decent story, good laughs, quality supporting cast, some nice character moments. The best of Chase's three contributions to the TV movies so far.

I refuse to believe that anyone has ever liked anybody more than Grace Kelly.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I am a great fan of the book, but I have always been sympathetic to the film. There are couple of things about it I cling to strongly, and some that just tickle me personally. For instance, I am delighted by Luis Guzman as Jacopo, and whom I also imagine as basically just Rogue Number Ten.

Rylo Ken and Master_Lok like this.
  17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I love Luis Guzman as well

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It's to the point now that when I read the book, I imagine literal Luis Guzman being that character, even though literally none of the others have transferred that way.

19. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    As opposed to merely a figurative Luis Guzman.

PCCViking and The2ndQuest like this.
  20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Hudsucker Proxy. Absolutely hilarious. A total farce, perfectly executed. Tim Robbins is outstanding as perhaps the world's most imbecilic rube. Is there a funnier sight gag than him excitedly whipping out his revolutionary new design -- a drawing of a circle? You know, for kids! Jennifer Jason Leigh's motormouthed, over-the-top-Mid-Atlantic-accented newswoman is a pitch-perfect sendup of screwball dames. Paul Newman is, as ever, perfect as a cigar-chomping villain. Fantastic set design, too. Just a perfectly calibrated bunch of outstanding nonsense.

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    The Magnificent Warriors (1987) - I completely give up on watching Jackie Chan, Michelle Yeoh and other Hong Kong stunt based performers. Me I want characters with my crazy action. And that's not what we get here. I understand I am a rarity when it comes to these films, but the Shaw Brothers films full of great characters AND kung fu have spoiled me rotten.

I will also save myself some grief and not watch as many Hwang Jang Lee films as I'd like because his villains are constantly beaten in the dumbest ways possible. The man is amazing, one of the best martial artists I've ever seen, but it's a damn shame he wasn't allowed to play more heroes and/or the writers think of better ways to thwart his villains.

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Premature - idea is similar to Groundhog Day, this kid repeats the same day where he wakes up to his mom walking into his room after he has had a wet dream and his day ends whenever he prematurely ejaculates. It's actually dumber than it sounds.

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Kickboxer (1993) In which Yuen Biao's plucky Lau Zhai must clear his name after being framed for opium smuggling. Not as much kicking as one would expect from the title, but this movie was a lot of fun. Bias's easy charms, good looks and ridiculously amazing agility should have made him even bigger than Jackie Chan, but for some reason that never happened. No matter. I know which of the two gentlemen I will continue to watch because he gets into character as much as he does fights / stunts.

24. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Captain America: Civil War

It was was awesome. It's now tied with Guardians of the Galaxy as my favourite Marvel film.

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Knockabout (1979) Much better the second time around. The con artist brothers Little John and Big John make a decent living and trip up their equally shady peers until they nearly have their heads handed to them. Soon after, they come into training with a rather nefarious kung fu master. Said master is wanted for murder and does so again, leaving one brother to bring this bad guy to justice while working with and against an undercover cop. Yuen Biao and Leung Kar Yan are great together. Besides Hwang Jang Lee, no one else came close to play evil ,older kung fu masters than Lau Kar Wing (had Chan Wai Man played more than two, I would think otherwise.)

A fun little film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.