main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The novel is an enjoyable read as well. The movie is surprisingly faithful, but we get a stronger sense of Watney's glass half full approach to overwhelming odds. It's reaffirming without being cloying.

A good antidote to this increasingly cynical election season.

Sarge, Dinos4Ever and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  2. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    the nice guys

pretty entertaining shane black fare. ryan gosling and russell crowe are both fantastic in it

3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Charlie Chan Murder Over New York Charlie is attending a police convention in New York where he meets up with a friend from British Military Intelligence, who ends up being murdered at a dinner party. Charlie decides to pick up his friends case who was tracking a suspected saboteur and his Hindu manservant. This one is a war time spy film about the development of a wartime bomber and toxic gas, which as with all the Chan movies rattles along nicely as Charlie investigates all the attendees of the dinner party to find the murderer amongst them. Culminating in a tense stand off over the skys of New York in the bomber. There are some unfortunate racial stereotypes and 'jokes', that wouldn't get made today, but its thats very much in line with the era this film was made in.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You Only Live Once. Fritz Lang's second Hollywood film, it stars a young Henry Fonda as an ex-convict who exits prison determined to go straight and support his wife, a secretary in the public defender's office who's madly in love with him. With a record, though, Fonda just can't catch any breaks, and the story quickly spirals into tragedy. It's a remarkably dark movie, Lang makes it look good, and Fonda is raw but has a lot of intensity. Not a great film, but a good and very interesting one.

Rogue1-and-a-half and GregMcP like this.
  5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've been wanting to watch the Bourne films for a while and I got the boxset a few weeks ago so I watched the first film The Bourne Identity. The plot was really interesting and I like the mystery of it so I'm looking forward to watching the next film.

EHT likes this.
  6. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Don't Breathe!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo what a ride!!!! Partially filmed in the Democrat's paradise of Detroit, this film takes no prisoners and asks for no mercy.

A few plot holes but that's part of the fun! Also a sick part that I can't review! I don't want to get banned!

GO SEE IT! DO IT! DO IT NOW!

7. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Man With a Movie Camera. I found this documentary to be an interesting watch due to the camera and editing techniques the filmmakers use and how it depicts life in 1920's Russia. I watched the BFI Blu-Ray, which features a score by Michael Nyman, which was good and fit the images rather well, but I found it to be a bit repetitive as some of the cues were repeated a few times.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Wrath of the Titans (2012)
    I thought this was okay. Not great by any means, but perfectly watchable.

Before I Go to Sleep (2014)
    Disappointingly mediocre thriller considering the strong cast (Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth, Mark Strong). A 40 year-old woman suffers from brain-damage that has erased all her memories from her early twenties onward, and prevents her from creating any long-term memories, leaving her dependent on notes and what other people tell her of the past. It's very contrived, which would be fine if it was more fun, but it's not. It's okay, but only okay.

'71 (2014)
    Very tense thriller in the vein of The Warriors, with a young British soldier in Northern Ireland trying to get back to his barracks. I'm not sure how I feel about using such a politically sensitive topic as the background to an action thriller, but it's well done and doesn't descend into jingoism. Jack O'Connell is very believable as the inexperienced squaddie totally out of his depth.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The Goonies (1985) - Plot; With their neighborhood set for demolition to make way for a new golf course, a group of misfit kids set out on one last adventure and get far more than they bargained for.

The Goonies is considered a classic by many of my fellow Gen-Xers, but even when I was a kid it never did much for me. By all rights it should've been right in my wheelhouse, but for whatever reason I just didn't feel that connection. Still, I tend to revisit it every five years or so, thinking that maybe those tumblers will finally click into place. This time they did. Sorta.

I'll never regard The Goonies the way I do E.T. or even Joe Dante's flawed Explorers, but this time around I did gain more of an appreciation for it. The kids are all very good here, giving energetic performances and carving out unique and memorable characters in the process. The adults also fare well, with the Fratelli clan (Robert Davi, Joe Pantoliano and Anne Ramsey) making for a fun and eclectic group of villains. It also looks great, from the cinematography to impressive sets like One Eyed Willy's pirate ship. I suppose the thing I enjoyed most was that for 2 hrs. it took me back to being 10 years old, where adventure always seemed just a BMX bike ride away. - 7/10

EHT and The2ndQuest like this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies [2016] - Garbage and Garbage and Garbage. Don't rent, buy, or watch. You're welcome.

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Barreled through specific Shaw Brothers films for assignments, two out of three were fun to pick apart. Two Champions of Shaolin and Brave Archer 3. Ten Tigers of Kwantung is growing on me, Today, some ladies of kung fu: Angela Mao Ying in Broken Oath (great movie so no complaints from me) and Michelle Yeoh & Cynthia Rothrock in Yes,Madam! (this is a pretty awful movie), but Michelle and Cynthia's stunts make up for just how unfunny and annoying the flunkies their cops are assigned to protect truly are. At least, they get to fight Dick Wei.

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Russian Ark, which I hadn't seen since 2003. It's a case of one long take shot for the entire film working like gangbusters, largely because it's not obliged to narrative purposes. The choreography of the camera and the hundreds of actors is truly magnificent, as you're guided through living Russian history in the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg. The film doesn't function as a documentary though, but almost, in a sense, as virtual reality.

Drac39 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  13. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Thanks for the advice. I was genuinely interested. Now I am not. :)

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - got to see one of my favorite movies on the big screen for the first time, and in a theater that showed the movie when it was originally released (theater has been open since the 1930s I believe). Cool experience, always feel lucky to have a place like this in town.

15. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Back to the future 2 8/10 i love the series and while not as good as the original is still a fun movie and worth the watch

Back to the future 3 8.5/10 love the wild west setting classic movie series again not as good as the original but i view the series with such nostalgia that i tend to over rate them

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Has anyone seen The Killing Joke animated movie? I just rented it yesterday. I thought it was just ok; nothing extraordinary. I borrowed the graphic novel from my library weeks before; since I never read it. I didn't really see what was so controversial about it. I didn't even understand why it's rated R. They could've easily done without the two or three swear words, and the mature scenes (well really there's only one) happen mostly off-screen.

Drac39 likes this.
  17. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    Cafe Society, which is the first Woody Allen film I've watched at the cinema. I liked it overall, but I felt that Jesse Eisenberg didn't really fit the lead role very well. Not that he was bad, but it's one of those characters that is clearly based on Allen himself, he just wasn't Woody-ish enough. Steve Carell was really good though.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Mountain Cry.
    A Chinese movie set in a rural village atop these most amazingly beautiful mountains.

A mute woman's husband is killed in an accident... by explosives used for killing badgers (!). The setter of the explosives is told to make amends, and promptly the woman and badger exploder fall in love. Backstory and tragedy and high melodrama follow.

It's hugely beautiful, with an entire way of living shown to you that you never knew existed, and the tragic love story really gets under your skin.

If you don't mind a subtitle, absolutely see it.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Badger Exploder" would be a great title to add to one's business card.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is insulting and presumptuous. I will have you know I am a professional pest control agent who specializes in using explosives in rural areas.

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I apologise.
    Badger exploding is not a central theme of the story. I guess I should make that clear. He also makes badger oil, which he sensually rubs on the woman. Which probably makes her smell more badger-like.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Darn it, McP, quit badgering us!

23. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    The Bad Sleep Well, the second of Kurosawa's three Shakespeare adaptations (the other two being Throne of Blood and Ran). While it's not as great as the other two, it's still a well made, very subtle thriller.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And then he explodes her.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    American Me (1992)

Edward James Olmos's directorial debut is one helluva movie. Very brutal, hard to watch at times, and utterly nihilistic. But it's so damn good.

Against the Ropes (2004)

Meg Ryan's last leading role was a huge flop when it came out. I enjoyed it just fine, but I agree with the criticisms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.