main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

My first car was a Mustang, my Dad had a 5.0 ('82) when I was growing up and my best friend's Dad had two '65's and a '68 Fastback. The 'stang will always have a special place in my heart. Kinda like a first girlfriend. Ahhh, Samantha Jones...

Natural Born Killers has gotta be one of the most polarizing movies ever made. Very little middle ground with that one. I personally consider it the worst movie I've ever seen. Actually that may not be quite right. I've never actively hated a movie more than NBK. Any Given Sunday is often an exercise in gross excess, but enough works to get a weak thumbs up from me.

I checked out one of those direct-to-dvd American Pie spin-offs a few years ago. American Pie Presents: Band Camp. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Like its big brother film series, it sneaks in some heart with its more lowbrow elements (the latter of which are actually kept to a minimum here).

The A-Team (2010) - Plot; Four soldiers are framed and set out to clear their names and catch those responsible.

Having recently revisited the original TV series I thought I'd give the big screen adaptation another shot. My original impression was that it was a loud, joyless, overlong mess, wasting the talents of a cast that was pretty much spot on. My impression now is... pretty much the same as it was six years ago. There are some aspects that I appreciated more this second go 'round. For one there's Patrick Wilson, who's great as a sleazy CIA agent. Wilson always seems to be in an entirely different, and much better, movie. There's also some fun to be had in fits and starts. Unfortunately none of it really ever gels despite game efforts from all involved. - 5.5/10

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

Yeah, that seems to be the scope of the reaction I've encountered over the years. Love or hate, with very little in between. But I've always said a strong reaction, even if it's bad, is better than indifference.

We were just talking about NBK at work this morning and one of the guys--who is a very intelligent movie aficionado--surprised me by loathing it almost as much as I do. I would've pegged him as being in the love it camp.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Sausage Party (2016)

More clever than laugh out loud funny. It's very very bizarre, but the opening song is one of the most brilliant segments I've ever seen in an animated film. It also takes a while to get going.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Interesting. I also just caught up to Sausage Party . . .

[​IMG]

Sausage Party (2016) – Conrad Vernon, Greg Tiernan

Once you see that ****, it’ll **** you up for life. Good luck! Have fun!

Sausage Party had a lot to overcome with me. I didn’t think the trailer looked particularly good, though the premise, of living foods struggling to survive the horrible fates they usually encounter when they leave the grocery store, was at least unique. But I really wasn’t prepared for just how brilliant this movie was going to be. We’ve had some great comedies this year with Deadpool & Hunt for the Wilderpeople and now Sausage Party takes its place next to them as a consistently hilarious film that kept me laughing from start to finish. Just when you think the premise has been exhausted, there’ll be some new twist on it and the jokes fly thick and fast. The vocal cast is game for anything and they’re a lot of fun. Edward Norton, in particular, gives a tour de force performance as a Woody Allen-esque bagel. And the consistently under-rated Nick Kroll is a force of nature as the villain of the piece, a psychotic douche. No, I mean literally. Oh, speaking of that, this movie is offensive from start to finish. The constant barrage of profanity? The least of your worries if you’re easily offended. Racial stereotypes abound; I’ll say no more about Firewater except that Bill Hader is damn good. The “violence” is actually disturbing at times; the Saving Private Ryan spoof is both hilarious and also kind of cringe inducing. And the less said about the living non-food related item that Barry meets up with on the street the better. I mean, that was genuinely disgusting. And, yes, there’s a huge sex scene that had me rolling on the floor, not quite believing what I was seeing. I’m always in the market for a truly transgressive comedy; I don’t think I’ve seen one since Bruno actually. Most “extreme” comedies are unwilling to legitimately push envelopes. But Sausage Party goes for it with gusto, achieving a “I can’t believe they just said/did that” to minute ratio unlike any movie I’ve ever seen. If you’re offendable (I’m not even going to say EASILY offended; this one will get under your skin even if you’re pretty hardcore), this movie will offend you; you probably know how much you can take. But if you’re down for a raucous, filthy, furiously-paced, sometimes disgusting, unbelievably hilarious horror-comedy, Sausage Party is the movie for you. It’s nothing less than a comedy masterpiece. 4 stars.

tl;dr – genuinely transgressive, incredibly profane, fast-paced & often disgusting, Sausage Party is non-stop hilarity; incredibly funny script & a game cast create an unlikely comedy masterpiece. 4 stars.

More Movie Reviews!

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Fast and The Furious People paid money to see this? They made how many sequels? I weep for society.

Asplundhe and MOC Yak Face like this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There were twelve Bomba the Jungle Boy films. Society never had good taste.

Drac39 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm going to have to do a Bomba marathon now.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    SMH at not calling it "Bombapalooza."

Drac39 likes this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Starting at the beginning of the F&F movies is a sure-fire way to hate them.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    [face_plain]

You are really showing how out of touch you are if you think most of the country doesn't still feel this way about Barack Obama. It's basically everyone.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

[​IMG]

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You're telling me. So far the order I've seen them in is 7-6-1-3. 8-}

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    SW TPM and AOTC.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  15. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    TPM, AOTC and ROTS over a weekend.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Secret Life of Pets

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  17. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Sahara (1943). A great little war film starring Humphrey Bogart.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    captain america civil war

it was not about the civil war at all.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    I just watched The Phantom on TV. It's based on an old comic book character from the 1930's and I thought it was quite entertaining. Plus it's got Number 6 himself, Patrick McGoohan in it, and he's always worth watching.

Jedi Daniel and Sarge like this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I think The Phantom is slightly underrated.

But I also think The Fast and the Furious, the first one, is the best.

The Krynoid Man likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Agreed on The Phantom.

And if the first FF is the best, I'm not going out of my way looking for the sequels.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I like the first one the best because it's the most "pure", in that it sticks to what it is: a simple movie about fast cars.

Try Fast Five if you ever feel like giving it another chance. I think it's probably the second best movie in the franchise, and it changes the formula and turns it into more of a general action movie with explosions and bank heists and such, and The Rock is in it. If you don't like that one, then just quit, because it's the new paradigm for six and seven.

I don't think any of the movies in the entire franchise are really great, must see movies, though. So I think it's totally okay to go "nah" on the rest.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Warcraft. I played the first two games on PC years back, never played anything after. Even with that knowledge, I felt that to understand the movie and care about it, I had to have previous understanding of the lore. The motion capture and scenery were beautiful but everything else took a huge step back whether story, characters etc.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    It is. No idea why it was a flop when it came out.

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The Magnificent Seven

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.