main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Been watching AMC Fear Fest since Thursday. Some great movie marathons have been on. Saw Halloween 1-5, Friday the 13th 1-7 (fell asleep for the last two), and now I'm watching Nightmare on Elm Street 1-5.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Nightmare on Elm Street (Dream Warriors?) was the first horror movie I'd ever seen. I was in the 4th or 5th grade, I think. The following year was full of Freddie nightmares.

Juke Skywalker and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Han was from the first film, however. Plus the cameo at the end. So there's that as far as connections go,

Tokyo Drift did seem refreshing- not only with the different setting and racing culture but it didn't seem like it was trying to redo the premise of the first film with the undercover angle (though there's still the criminal organization-connected-to-racing angle).

It also has one of the most beautiful shots in the series with the quiet nighttime drifting.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I guess I didn't remember Han from the first film. Am I that unobservant, or was his character that forgettable?

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm pretty sure he's not in the first one at all. So says the wiki.

I've always thought Tokyo Drift was by far the worst movie in the series.

6. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i saw the first one and preferred point break. should i bother with any of the others?

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You shouldn't.

8. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    that's what i was hoping you were going to say.

9. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Cinema Paradiso (theatrical cut). I really liked the first half with the main character as a child, especially the scenes of him and the projectionist. Unfortunately, I started to lose interest when he became a teenager as the actor wasn't as endearing as his younger counterpart. It did pick up in the last 20 minutes or so, and the ending was magnificent but overall I can't say that I love the film as much as everybody else does.

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Into the Wild (2007)

The film was well made and acted, but I had trouble empathising with the protagonist. I didn't dislike him, I just didn't get where he was coming from.

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Naval Commandoes (1977) While there's only one naval sequence that is really good, David Chiang steals the show as a duplicit triad who may or may not be working for the enemy Japanese. The Venoms appear as either the title characters or a triad bodyguard and they get a brief moment to show their stuff. This is more of a drama than an action film though and Chang Cheh and his co-directors really should have left the opening 8 minutes on the cutting room floor. It takes a while to get going, but David and Ti Lung are particularly convincing and good, as is the fellow playing the Japanese second in command. Ultimately, this is a movie for completists.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Beyond the Mask, 2015. A sort of Zorro romance movie set during the American Revolution, like if Jack of All Trades took itself seriously. It started out relatively realistic, but went over the top into silliness before it ended. Honestly, I never knew a mad scientist tried to blow up all of Philadelphia when the founding fathers were signing the Declaration of Independence. o_O Pretty good swashbuckling score though; similar to PotC.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Nope, I was mistaken. I confused his history with Dominic in TD for a past appearance.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    American Pie 2

AndyLGR likes this.
  15. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    LOVE this one.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Borrowed Time (2016)

This has been making the rounds lately. It's a short film made by a couple of Pixar animators (who have had some experience with other animation studios as well) and it's just breathtaking. It conveys more emotion in 6 minutes than most live action films manage to convey in 1.5-2 hours. It's also a big proponent of show-don't-tell, featuring very little dialogue and instead focusing a ton of the animation on the characters' body language and facial expressions.

Definitely check it out- right now it's available on Vimeo at least.

17. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Haley Bennett combine to make an entertaining movie that is a good popcorn flick. Antoine Fuqua makes another movie that is worth checking out.

18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Big trouble in little China - I love this film, but I've never been sure what to make of it or put my finger on what inspired it it's a mishmash of Indiana Jones, Monkey and karate / Kung fu comedy. But it's a fun ride with some great performances.

The Force Awakens - still enjoying this film.

19. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Monsters. A bland romance disguised as a monster movie.

Mascots. The latest mockumentary from Christopher Guest feels tired.

The Greasy Strangler. Even in 2016, weird impoverished movie characters are stuck in the '70s.

20. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    get the gringo

i read that it's okay to like mel gibson again so i gave this movie a shot. i'd be lying if i said i didn't like it...the line "put it back" was the climax of the film for me.

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Marco Polo (1975) So this was waaaay off historically, and MP was pretty boring. Naturally, the movie is really about the Han rebellion in Yangzhou and the old martial arts masters hunkering down in Tiandao mansion waiting for young pupils to train to defeat their people against the Mongols. And there are some fun training sequences that show off the skill of a couple of the performers (Kuo Chue and Chi Kuan Chun in particular), but for me this movie is all about Khan's best warrior with the Great Palm punch, Cai-Dalu (Leung Kar Yan). My third viewing of this film pretty much confirms his character makes getting through most of this movie worth it. Though I did like some of the old masters (the Bell Cover and Qi Masters) too.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Zootopia Yeah, that was pretty cute. The diversity message was kind of heavy-handed, but it resolved itself with a little more realism than I expected from Disney. The DMV was easily the funniest scene.

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Wow... I think I need my proofreader to read my posts too... I wish we had a 24 hour edit window. [face_blush]

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Lol Damn right he does

The Krynoid Man likes this.
  25. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning. I liked how they were trying to do something different, but the story was kind of nonsensical. It also didn't help that all of the kills have been heavily edited by the MPAA, considering that part of the appeal of these films was the creativity of the violence.

Fun fact: Billy Wilder almost came out of retirement to direct this film. That is such a bizarre choice.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.