main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Guardians of the Galaxy. Always a classic, glad Marvel took a risk and made it :)

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I recently purchased this film for the squillionth time. I have seriously started with the import VHS, then a film reel, then US release VHS, then dvd, then higher quality dvd, then import blu ray, then official local region blu ray.

3. Obi-Bunnie

Obi-Bunnie Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2000
    Zootopia. Glad I took a chance on that one. Highly recommend.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Marathon Man. One of the better seventies paranoid thrillers. It's a weird, off-kilter film, doing a nice job of balancing Hoffman's semi-functionality with Scheider's tense, mysterious storyline before bringing Hoffman into this nightmare world of ex-Nazis and William Devane doing whatever the hell he wants. Atmospheric and creepy, with some great performances, especially from Olivier, who was gravely ill with cancer but leaves no trace of it onscreen.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    :)

There's a nice all region limited edition blu ray from Nova Media Korea that I picked up. A little pricey but worth it and it was great to get a couple of little post card images of Lam Ching-Ying too. Definitely watching this again next weekend with some other fun Halloween stuff (Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires is also on the bill). I think I'll have to watch the English dub of this next time.

Slightly bummed because I completely spaced on TCM screening Rasputin the Mad Monk last night, so I watched Prince of Darkness instead. Well that became a MST3K romp between my mom and I. Can't believe it took almost 50 minutes for Drac to show up. I'm all for developing character and dread, but that's pushing it even if it was made 50 years ago.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I caught the entire Cushing/Lee marathon on TCM. And, yeah... PoD is possibly one of the easiest Hammer films to tap out in the middle of.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
  9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Prince of Darkness' is my choice for probably the weakest Hammer Dracula film. Supposedly Lee read the script and said he'd only be in it if he didn't have to deliver a line of dialogue. It desperately misses the presence of Cushing's Van Helsing.

10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Hot Fuzz: My first time seeing it, and I liked it. The only parts I didn't like were one of the deaths and what happened to Timothy Dalton's character. That was just a little too much for me.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. A fairly gentle comedy, without a whole lot of big laughs but amusing throughout. Michael Caine plays a wealthy old con man who, with the cooperation of the chief of police, fleeces wealthy female tourists in the French Riviera. Steve Martin plays the dumb, loud, low-rent scammer who drifts into Caine's town. Caine spends some time trying to get rid of him and keep him from spoiling his game, before finally training him as a protege in the hopes of getting him to leave after making some use of him. Finally, they end up betting over who can con a particular mark first, leading to an escalating battle of wits. It's a sort of low-stakes diversion rather than being particularly hilarious, but it's fun to see Caine having debonair fun (Martin can be fun but generally plays too broad). There's also a nice dynamic, where initially Caine keeps getting one over on Martin but Martin always somehow weasels out of it and comes back, and in the second half, where they're competing over the woman, Martin keeps getting one over on Caine only to have Caine effortlessly outmaneuver him. Also, thanks to Ian McDiarmid's inclusion in Frank Oz's cast, it can accurately be described as a film in which Yoda directs Emperor Palpatine.

12. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Chopping Mall. There's nothing like a bad 80's horror movie. 2 thumbs up.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Ouija: Origin of Evil

Found it very well made with characters I was interested in. The films suffers in the 3rd act however when **** starts to hit the fan, and instead of being scared you're trying to figure out the why's of what's happening and how the rules of what's going on works. Nothing is real clear. Confusing.

I'll give it a C. Still probably one of the better horror films to be released this year, which probably isn't saying to much.

I'm a firm believer in that you really have to make clear how the rules in your world work. IT FOLLOWS was a very good movie, but it couldn't stick to the rules it laid down in the premise. People do pay attention and if something doesn't add up, it can take you out of a movie. Anything really.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Magnificent Seven: This is a cowboy movie. It has cowboys. That's really all there is to say about it.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That is really interesting that you say that. I feel like even just in the last few years, we've had this flood of great horror like we haven't had in ages. The Babadook, It Follows, the Conjuring films, The Witch . . . I mean, there was a time when getting one horror film as good as any of those in a period of like five years would have felt like a gift.

The lukewarm reception by both critics and audiences has kind of put me off, but I may still check this out. Mr. Turner blew me away, so I'm always up for a chance to see Timothy Spall.

I was privileged to get to see this on the big screen a couple of years ago when it came out on a remastered blu-ray or something of that nature. It is absolutely terrible in all the right ways. Those late night screenings of awful horror movies are always a blast.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Training Day. The film that enabled the otherwise undistinguished ongoing careers of Antoine Fuqua and David Ayer, it's good enough to see why they're still going. The way Hawke is slowly suckered deeper and deeper into Washington's web of corruption is outstandingly handled. Hawke is very good as a rookie trying to keep up with everything going on around him, and Washington exudes this dark, twisted magnetic effect that makes it totally understandable how Hawke would find himself drawn along with him.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Well it could go to preference too. I think paranormal films are the least interesting. I'm willing to give The Conjuring another try though

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Furious 6. Is there a word for something that's more ridiculous than ridiculous? I could go on at length just about the grand finale with the big Antonov transport plane, but why should I bother?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Speaking of length, that runway was ridiculously long, wasn't it?

Sarge likes this.
  21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Sarge PCCViking they've done the math, and it's said that the runway in Furious 6 would have to have been approx. 26 miles long (estimating that they averaged a speed of 120 MPH; or 2 miles per minute). I believe the longest runway in the world is Edwards Air Force Base (partially paved, partially unpaved), which is about 7.5 miles long. There's a runway in China fully paved about half that length.

Romancing The Stone (1984) - Plot; A romance novelist goes to Columbia where she teams up with a mercenary to rescue her Sister and find a priceless treasure.

Romancing The Stone is a prime example of talent working together to lift the material. That's not to say that it's a bad script (a tad politically incorrect at times, but not bad). In fact, it's reasonably witty and evokes classic movies like The African Queen. But thanks to sure direction by Robert Zemeckis and great chemistry between charming leads Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner (and a humorous turn by Danny DeVito as one of the baddies), it rises above what in lesser hands would've been disposable, B-movie fare. It's certainly no Raiders Of The Lost Ark, but then what is? - 6.5/10

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Sarge, PCCViking and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Sarge
    If you think the runway scene in Furious 6 is ridiculous, the next movie ups the silly factor even more in at least two places.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There's another one? I thought I was done.

25. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Nope, they're planning to go through #10 at least. #8 comes out in April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.