main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Double post, ignore

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This. So much.

3. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Gods of Egypt: I'm having a hard time deciding if it's gloriously awful or awfully glorious

4. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    After watching Resurgence I will maintain that neither Michael Bay nor Zach Snyder have made a film even remotely close to being that bad

5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

If you think that's bad, watch Legend of Hercules starring Kellan Lutz.

On second thought, I wouldn't wish that on even my worst enemy. :p

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sucker Punch was worse. At least ID4R had Goldblum and Spiner.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Fantastic Beasts. Doesn't quite have the lightening-in-a-bottle vibe of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, but very, very good nonetheless. I look foreword to five or six more of these.

Deliveranze likes this.
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I think it's one of the best movies of the nineties overall. One of my favorites.

9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Shrek - still extremely funny, subversive fairy tale romp and a sweet take on "don't judge a book by its cover."

wmu'14 and Sarge like this.
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, the first two are really funny, there are definitely diminishing returns after that.

11. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Edge of Seventeen: Pretty good. I'll watch anything with Harrelson, and it was nice to see Steinfield get a great role. One which she rocked. She was really good. Depending on how solid the category is she might as least get a GG nod.

Movie is cliche as **** though. You've seen this movie. You've probably seen it a 100 times. IT hits all the familiar beats. It's saving grace is that it does so competently, with great performances, and if anything it's the new modern version of this idea.

The nerd that likes her is pretty much, the normal guy of today, for example.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Fundamentals of Caring (2016)

Road trip movie about an emotionally damaged caregiver and his disabled young charge. Paul Rudd is as good as usual, and Craig Roberts makes his mark as the acerbic wheelchair-bound young man.

Enjoyable. Not groundbreaking, but if you want a warm-hearted movie with some black humour and a little bad language, this is worth a try.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Quiz Show (1994)

Interesting piece from Robert Redford about a real life TV scandal from the late '50s, where the producers of a popular game show rigged the results. It's got John Turturro and Ralph Fiennes as two of the contestants, and it shows them dealing with the deceit in very different ways. Also has Rob Morrow as an investigator trying to uncover the cheating, but in the end his actions are more harmful to the contestants caught up in the scandal than to the perpetrators within the network.

It's a cool little look into the seedier side of mega TV shows, while also examining the different reactions to sudden fame, and the lengths some will go to either cling onto that fame or rid themselves of it.

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    just watched the Superman v.s Batman movie

[face_plain]

15. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes

I'm on a bit of a Vincent Price binge. Any movie featuring Price killing people with unicorns and Brussels sprouts is an automatic winner in my book.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Master_Lok like this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Silent Hill: This was a weird time in life. I watched this film 17 times in a single month. It has a very weird pacing and the narrative structure isn't entirely satisfying. There's lots of Biblical allusions in a film that is also directly about a pseudo-Biblically inspired witch burning cult, a la Salem of the colonial era. They go for a whole "becoming what you hate" thing but it's possibly undermined by the fact that there is a literal demon by the end of the film.

Anyway, though, I mostly remember Wilderness Comedian. He was a pretty bitter guy a lot of the time. But somehow, this film got a whole thread dedicated to it, which he, myself and Zas ended up dominating. The interactions there weren't like any we ever had on any other part of the boards in all our years together. A good reminder of how much people can surprise you. I hope that guy is doing well.

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

Awful, awful movie. Worse than Brett Ratner's Hercules film. Heck, worse than Little Hercules in 3D. But it does have one thing going for it IMO, and that's Scott Adkins as King Amphitryon. He always seemed like he was on loan from a better movie. I've since checked out a few of Adkins' films, and while I don't think there's an Oscar in his future unless that Oscar is followed by the words "Mayer Weiner", he has the goods as an action-star lead.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Bananas. It took some time, but Woody Allen and I finally clicked. A gloriously ridiculous comedy that drags Allen's persona through a wild variety of situations and surrounds all that with some inspired lunacy. Nonstop laughter.

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    EDIT: Well this was completely the wrong thread.

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It's my personal favorite Price film because it is the Vincent Price formula on steroids. It also creates black humor in a way that is funny but is not making fun of horror films. That has always been my problem with Price. He seems to be laughing at some of his films instead of with.

21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

This is my favourite thing ever:

Havac likes this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

9/10, a very worthy continuation of the Potter saga. JK Rowling is my generation's George Lucas.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yes, she might very well turn out to be the spiritual successor to Spielberg and Lucas.

Darkslayer and PCCViking like this.
  24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I detect some sarcasm in that last post. As it should be.

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Why should there be? Lucas and Spielberg recycle imagery to make shlocky action films with broad appeal. This lady made some movie about animals that were less impressive than real life animals.

26. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Finding Dory. This was a terrific sequel in every way. Loved the new characters, especially Hank. Pixar hit all the emotional notes too.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.