main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    La La Land is wildly overrated. I predict a big schism between the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards over this thoroughly average movie.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The Nice Guys (2016) - Plot; In 1977 Los Angels, a scuffling private eye and a low level enforcer get caught up in a case that will take them from high dollar world of automobiles to the gutters of the burgeoning adult film business.

Take the buddy cop genre and smash it together with Boogie Nights and you have Shane Black's The Nice Guys, a critical hit and subsequent commercial failure that deserved a better fate. Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe have great chemistry as two mismatched guys in over their heads. With laughs aplenty and a legitimately interesting mystery to boot, I hope more people give this worthy, quirky little comedy a chance on home video. - 7.5/10

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sing Street (2016)

This was a delightful little film. A young Irish teenager decides he wants to impress this pretty girl by asking her to star in a music video for his band. His only problem is he has no band to make a music video. So he quickly assembles a band of fellow high school boys and they actually manage to be halfway decent. For a bunch of relative unknowns, the lead and the rest of the actors in the band are really great together and give very real portrayals of kids that age and in that time period (mid 80s).

All the songs they perform are actually pretty awesome, and coupled with a view through the imagination of the lead boy, their performances are a pretty awesome treat musically and visually.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

The Edge of Seventeen (2016) – Kelly Fremon Craig

There are two types of people in the world. The people who naturally excel at life & the people who hope all those people die in a big explosion.

In The Edge of Seventeen Hailee Steinfeld gives a genuinely brilliant performance as Nadine, a social outcast at high school. She has one friend, played by Haley Lu Richardson; one perfect older brother, played by Blake Jenner; one widowed mother, played by Kyra Sedgwick; and, best of all, one sarcastic, antagonistic teacher, played by Woody Harrelson. Steinfeld is nothing short of wonderful in this movie; the film has the beats of a standard coming of age tale, but Steinfeld imbues the film with a wonderful dose of realism. She’s sarcastic, bratty and deeply flawed; Steinfeld and writer-director Craig make the decision early that Nadine doesn’t need to be likable and they get a lot of mileage out of this. This film is, in many ways, more of a character study than these kinds of stories are. You’re typically supposed to have extreme empathy for the main character in a coming of age story and, while you certainly feel that to a degree with Steinfeld, the film has enough distance to make her an interesting, flawed character at times, even if that means we lose our immediate bond with her. The cast around here is really good as well for the most part. Sedgwick is wonderful, very funny, but also often deeply sad. Based on the trailer, I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about Harrelson in the movie; he seemed to be playing the kind of sardonic, laid-back smart-ass he kind of always plays. That’s true to a degree, but he’s obviously fully invested and he makes his character really come to life. The scenes between Steinfeld and Harrelson are the best in the film. Blake Jenner, who was pretty good in Linklater’s Everybody Wants Some!! as the blank slate college freshman, is asked to do a lot more heavy lifting here in the drama department and unfortunately he isn’t quite up to it. A couple of pivotal scenes near the end revolve around his acting and the shallow nature of it robs the ending of some of its impact. Special note for Hayden Szeto as a classmate enamored of Steinfeld’s Nadine. It’s one of the best comedic performances of the year, capturing the awkward feeling of having a crush to perfection. I can’t sell strongly enough how great this guy is and I can’t wait to see him in other things. The film’s clichéd story is the main weak-point. The screenplay is often super-funny, but in about the last twenty minutes, the movie, which has felt very true to life up to that point, suddenly takes a sharp turn and starts wrapping things up in a way that I found entirely too sentimental and sunny for the movie that had followed it. But it’s still a very witty, often laugh-out-loud funny riff on the coming-of-age high school genre. The flaws are more than balanced out by the mostly excellent script and the cadre of great performances. This is Craig’s debut film, so it’ll be interesting to watch her develop. This one is really good and I feel like with this one under her belt, maybe she can do even better with her second attempt. Excited to see it; and you should see this one. 3 ½ stars.

tl;dr – incredibly funny, often dark character study is more grown-up than most teen coming-of-age movies; Steinfeld is astoundingly great & helps lift the film above its clichéd story. 3 ½ stars.

More Movie Reviews!

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. BookLover20

BookLover20 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2016
    Air Force One. First time I've ever seen that movie. Absolutely loved it. Ford and Close were perfect in the President and Vice President roles. So was Oldman as the main villain.

Even though Radek's followers are the bad guys, I couldn't help tearing up a little when the inmates are singing "The Internationale" as he was released. Glad to see he did get what he deserved in the end, though.

Melanie Mitchell's death caught me completely by surprise.

Some great lines:

"He's not asking. Your Commander-in-Chief has issued a direct order. Do it!"

"Liberty 2-4 is now Air Force One."

"Get off my plane!" (Yes, it was cheesy, but so what?)

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Clear and Present Danger - Good movie

AndyLGR, Jar-Jar Binks and PCCViking like this.
  8. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Zootopia -- not as bad as I expected. It was good.

Disney is slowly regaining my trust after it alienated me with Into the Woods and Frozen.

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just saw Joy , about the lady who invented that mop , which was pretty good really , Lawrence is very good altho she seems far too young for the role .

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Race. For some reason, I was expecting more out of a film about Jesse Owens.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002

Yeah I'll see it if it wins but I got to tell you it looks like one of those "Ugh Oscar Bait" movies

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I recently used the Rylo Ken "free on the back of an airplane seat" method to watch two movies I hadn't seen in theaters:

The Revenant: I wish I had caught this in the theater, since it surely would have added to the experience. I thought it was really good. A really tense viewing experience, with great acting.

Captain America: Civil War: This didn't do much for me, which was expected and probably the reason I didn't see it before. I've mostly stopped watching superhero movies, but I decided to give it a shot. It was about the same as Age of Ultron to me, meaning too many superheroes and a forced, semi-logical plot.

13. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Van Damme's Double Impact (1991) and Double Team (1997) and Sylvester Stallone's Cliffhanger (1993) and Daylight (1996).

Double Impact is the best film IMO with an action star playing double roles. Jackie Chan did it in Twin Dragon and Arnold did it the 6th Day although that was a clone but Van Damme owns it IMO.

Juke Skywalker and AndyLGR like this.
  14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's definitely a big-screen-worthy experience. The main thing I remember about my theatrical experience, though, was being just a little thirsty when I got into the theater. Two and a half hours of constant running water later, I was very thirsty.

EHT likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    La La Land Eh, it was alright. Some sequences, especially the opening, were impressive. Emma Stone and Baby Goose always give good performances. But it definitely is 2016's Oscar Bait: The Movie.
    I guess it was "daring" to not go with the "Hollywood" ending of them being together... instead going with the much more realistic prospect that they both achieved their incredibly difficult to attain professional dreams.

Labyrinth of Lies or Holy ****ing **** It's about a young German prosecutor in the early 1960s who investigates a former Auschwitz guard who became a teacher. Thing is, the prosecutor didn't even know what Auschwitz was. He was generally oblivious about the realities of the Holocaust. Most of his colleagues, young and old, were also either unaware or, worse, knew but excused or denied it as Allied propaganda. I was honestly shocked that this was the reality in the FRG 15 years after the war, and it took this prosecutor for that to change. (Apparently he was fictional, but his boss, Fritz Bauer, was not.) Yikes.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Underworld Blood Wars'

My girlfriend wanted to go see it and said it would hopefully be a good bad. I had never seen an 'Underworld' prior to it. It's bad and I mean really bad. Fortunately it's bad in a hilarious way and not in a 'Batman v. Superman' way. I laughed a lot mainly because a lot of the film is actors desperately trying to elevate garbage material. There is a lot of stuff about bureaucracy and prophecies and I usually hate that kind of stuff but here it is so haphazardly added in that the bad screenwriting is almost overwhelmingly blunt.

I wasn't bored by it at all.

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Great switch your brain off action viewing. I love it :)

Double Impact is probably one of Van Dammes best films. You get what you expect from it...... but with 2 of them.

I think as your typical disaster movies go Daylight seems under rated, it ticks all the boxes. Cliffhanger was the one that brought him back into the public eye, another good action adventure movie, but for me I've always preferred Demolition Man from that year.

Juke Skywalker and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Double Impact was from the JCVD era where he'd broke through into the mainstream and was cranking out 2-3 movies a year. I picked it up on DVD last year in a 3-pack w/Death Warrant and Cyborg and re-watched it for the first time in well over a decade. I agree w/@Jar-Jar Binks that Van Damme does do a good job making each of the twins distinct. To the point they actually do feel like two separate and unique characters. If I were going to rank JCVD's "Golden era" movies--say, No Retreat, No Surrender (Yes, NRNS) through The Quest--I'd definitely put Double Impact in the upper half (or perhaps middle-tier). Below Bloodsport (Van Damme's Citizen Kane), Kickboxer, Lionheart, Timecop, etc., but above Street Fighter, Nowhere to Run, Cyborg and Black Eagle.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  19. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    10 Cloverfield Lane. Very creepy.

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Rogue One. Second viewing in spectacular IMAX.

21. Grognard

Grognard Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2016
    John Wick and Keanu Reeves

22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Keep your Powder Dry 1945

Love to see a movie about military women. Great performance from Lana Turner. I never knew Susan Peters before, after looking at her life I deeply sympathize it, why tragedy always happen to good people?

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Binged the ridiculously quasi-epic Rurouni Kenshin series. I regret nothing.

24. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I've been making my way through and enjoying the original 1930's Flash Gordon serial, and it inspired me to rewatch the 1980 film version. Good old fashioned campy fun, the likes of which we don't see anymore.

25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    If La La Land is Oscar bait we should be so lucky to have Oscar bait non-stop in the theatre. That's a real film.

The accusation of Oscar bait is fascinating though because if La La Land and 12 Years a Slave are Oscar bait it's a fairly broad range of films that can fall within that "criticism".

Here you have a musical that would still work if it were silent. No mean feat, possibly accomplished only by Robert Wise, George Cukor, Stanley Donen, Jacques Demy and Vincente Minnelli in the past. But what a brilliant way of updating and subverting the stock Minnelli dream sequence!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.