main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Savage lives up to her name; she's balls to the wall. You're right that the plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but you can see why it was so influential: it nails the mood of cynical, fatalistic nihilism that gave birth to noir. The movie doesn't make sense, but when it ends the way this one does, it doesn't need too: Fate, or some mysterious force, can put the finger on you or me . . . for no reason at all. Damn. That's good.

Havac likes this.
  2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I kind of loved the fact that they had a female character who was so vicious and crude and just . . . totally repulsive in every respect. It's not a typical femme fatale role at all and it's not a typical female role at all. Totally fascinating. And as you say, it's so compelling a scenario and atmosphere you don't care about the plausibility of the plot.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Tower Heist - It's alright

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    American Psycho (2000).

Seen it before, enjoyed it a lot, but now I'm in the middle (or maybe back fifth or so?) of reading the book, which provided an interesting new perspective. I think it's an effective adaptation for what it is, which is a condensing of a lot of sprawling anecdotes into a crisp 100 minute plotline - crimes and characters are merged, some things are taken out of sequence to better build an arc, etc. Some particulars that stood out to me:
    • Almost everywhere that the dialogue or narration strays from Ellis' original is severely less elegant. That's not so much a knock as an indication that I have a very high opinion of the book's writing.
    • Discretion shots actually make the on-screen violence considerably more palatable than the written violence. Somewhere Peckinpah laughs a grim laugh.
    • Unlike the book the movie is able to play around with the emotional correlations between dramatic tension and comedic tension. Moments that were nail-biters on the first viewing were pretty funny when you already know how things resolve and can appreciate the bizarre disconnect of the banter. Also, c'mon, Christian Bale running around with a chainsaw while naked and covered in blood is hilarious.
    • I erroneously remembered a scene that I now realize was from Wall Street as being in this film. Which. Hm.

Drac39 likes this.
  5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah I watched that , it's quite good , wonder where they filmed it , it looked like a genuine wrecked city .

Grievousdude likes this.
  6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Ah, didn't realize. I would say it's their best then (of the one I know/ took my kids to those other two)

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Don't Breathe'

I know a lot of people were very enthusiastic about this one. I sort of fell in the middle. It's okay but it isn't very scary or memorable in my opinion. It's surprisingly low key in it's script and character development. I feel that with such a scene chewer in Stephen Lang that they kind of were a little too restrained. I was expecting a loud performance. The kids are very trope. The lead male Alex played by Dylan Minette is pretty awful. There's only so much punishment this villain can dish out too. It just gets gratuitous. Haunted house movies like this are easy ways to build suspense because we just expect BOO's. Boo's are sort of fun but they don't leave much of an impression with you.

'Toy Story'

I hadn't seen the original in years and felt a desire to revisit it. It holds up reasonably well in terms of the animation however the human characters are terrifying and Pixar has come a long way in rendering them. It's a funny film and surprisingly a lot darker than I remembered. There are some pretty twisted scenes that I just didn't remember from being a kid. I still like it and rate it among the best Pixar films probably a lot of that is coming from nostalgia though.

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I've been watching the same three Chan Wai Man movies on a loop the past two weeks with no signs of stoppage. Will say that The Club (1981) is the purest example of cause and effect I've ever seen. That this film was loosely based on actual events in CWM's triad days makes it even a bit more potent. Happy I found a Cantonese version, now all that is needed is a widescreen print in slightly better condition.

Though I did take time to laugh through The Chronicles of Riddick. I do like Karl Urban in this, but overall Vin D. never quite caught on with me.

9. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Heaven Is For Real (2014)
    I liked that the message of the movie was that life can be a glimpse of 'paradise.' (whether you believe in life after death or not)
    4/5

Robots (2005)
    This is my third viewing of this. Remember seeing it way back in theaters in order to see the Teaser for Revenge of the Sith.
    I'd really like to like it, but I just can't. It's very dull and there's too much toilet humor. There's a couple great innuendos, some great voice talents, and the animation and design is great, but it's just blah.
    3/5

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Snowpiercer - What a good movie

11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I recently saw this! Part my noir "Always meant to do
    this" catch up. Good review, I agree. Savage is the highlight for me.

Havac likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Have you seen Pitch Black? Chronicles of Riddick is particularly weird in context because it has nothing in common with Pitch Black, which is more of an ensemble piece and actually a really solid thriller. I saw the new one from a few years ago, Riddick. I honestly remember like one stunt and that's about all. I never do that, but that movie just washed right out of my brain.

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Planet of the Apes (1968) - Plot; Three astronauts crash land on a planet where simians are the dominant species and man is considered a beast beneath contempt.

At first blush it would be easy to dismiss the original Planet of the Apes as a dystopian sci-fi relic from the genre's golden age, or to lump it in with its lesser (though not always bad) sequels. But join Charlton Heston's cynical Taylor as he's dropped off into this "Madhouse" and you learn to appreciate just how smart, well made and well crafted this film is. There are a lot of themes in play here--race, class, reason vs. faith--but like any good allegorical story, it doesn't beat you over the head with them. At its core it's about a man who has become embittered by mankind's seeming inability to overcome its base nature, and yet when his own humanity is denied him, he gains a new appreciation for just what it means to be human. But then we get the twist. The power of the twist is not the shock value, or subterfuge merely for the sake of it, but because just as Taylor has learned to value his own humanity, he's delivered this gut punch that seems to validate that original cynicism.

I also have to take note of the cast. Hidden beneath restrictive latex masks, actors Maurice Evans, Kim Hunter and Roddy McDowall manage to give compelling and believable performances. You never question the "reality" of their characters because they don't. But this is a film carried in large part by Charlton Heston. Never one for subtlety, Heston's bold performance style lifts this small-scaled film into something much, much larger than it would've otherwise have been. - 8.5/10

14. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I saw Passengers last night and I didn't really care for it. The central idea is interesting and quite morally gray, but it gets glossed over for the most part to make the film more of a typical hollywood romance. It also doesn't help that I can't stand Jennifer Lawrence.

15. Grognard

Grognard Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2016
    INTERSTELLAR.

a most excellent picture.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Yeah some years ago. Can't say that bowled me over either. Like you say, it washed right out of my brain.

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, Pitch Black is a small, reasonably taught horror-thriller w/Riddick as a classic anti-hero. And then Chronicles of Riddick comes along and the saga takes this hard left turn into this Dune-like space opera territory that fits together with the latter like a Lego with a Lincoln Log. Chronicles works for me in fits and starts, but in the end it feels a bit overambitious for everyone involved. The third film, Riddick, gets back to basics and is actually my favorite of the three.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The Little Prince (2015)

A cool animated film which uses a mix of CG animation and stop-motion animation. The story's pretty great- we follow a girl who's torn between a highly regimented lifestyle imposed by her mother and a more carefree, childlike existence encouraged by her eccentric neighbor, The Aviator. Which is another thing- none of the characters are named in the story; the main character is just The Girl, and the title character is just The Little Prince. It adds a more archetypal feel to the story. But the movie isn't entirely about this girl and her struggles with adults; it's also about a story The Aviator tells her about a young boy who lives all alone on his own little asteroid, and his travels through space as he tries to find meaning for himself. It creates a good parallel between her own experiences and those of The Little Prince, especially when they eventually cross paths and fight against oppressive adults together.

All in all a very fun movie with some gorgeous animation, both in the 3D parts and the stop-motion parts. Jeff Bridges is pretty great as The Aviator, and Mackenzie Foy (Murph from Interstellar) is pretty good as The Girl. And Al Brooks shines as the "antagonist" of the movie, with Paul Giamatti providing some good additional villainous support.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Legend of the Owl (1981) David Chiang's sometimes hilariously funny rip on more serious (and far crazier) Shaw Brothers wuxias and western tv / movies. Chiang who stars with his siblings Paul and Derek is the bumbling Captain Fan. Fan must rescue the Emperor's 36th wife and bring down the nefarious Owl who holds rather unpleasant auctions (gathering all kinds of items his sleazy clients will pay a handsome sum for). If you've seen Chu Yuan's yawn inducing Legend of the Bat with Ti Lung (trust me, the only Chu Liu Xiang movie really worth seeing is the 3rd, the utter bonkers Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman), you know what you're in for.

Some of the humor is on point funny (a Cantonese talking Cockatiel who delivers the Mission message to Fan before dying - Mission Impossible style), the Star Wars rips (light sabers) and the wink at how ridiculous the whole wuxia genre is. Chiang has a natural flare for comedy and it's too bad more people weren't aware of just how funny he could be, because he rivals Sammo Hung and bests Jackie Chan in that department. This is still pretty funny in spots and all around quite enjoyable; especially if you like slapstick humor and have seen your share of old school super swordsmen movies, this is, well, a hoot.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    2 Lava 2 Lantula on Syfy. A sequel to Lavalantula, which I watched recently. Very much in the Sharknado vein - very silly but good for a couple of hours of escapism.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ip Man (2008)

The story of the legendary Kung Fu master known as Ip Man, this movie gives us a look into life in China under Japanese occupation around the time of WWII, and how one martial arts master just barely gets by under this harsh lifestyle. Donnie Yen plays Ip Man, and he brings a lot of charisma to the role, along of course with some very skillful moves. Early in the movie, before the war starts, he shows off his skill a bunch against either peers or out-of-town challengers, and though he shows off his absolute mastery of Wing Chun, he always holds his punches, only inflicting the barest of harm on his opponents. That changes years later when he goes up agaisnt some Japanese martial artists and lets go of his restraint. It's an interesting dichotomy that shows his varied methods of exerting control during his fights.

Besides Donnie some of the other major actors do pretty well, including the guy playing the police officer turned interpreter for the Japanese. I also liked how the film took on a muted color palette once the plot shifted to the wartime environment. It not only showcased how much hurt had been inflicted on Ip Man's town, but also just how bleak a time it had become for the Chinese.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Hamlet (1996).

I could talk about how much I like this adaptation (especially that bombastic finale that nevertheless drives home the subtler point that all of Hamlet's revenge seeking basically destroyed his homeland) but if you're talking about Shakespeare on the Internet only the hottest of hot takes is allowed! Laertes is secretly a much more sympathetic char- nah, too obvious. Hamlet was actually craz- no, insufficiently hot.

Wait, I've got it: 70% of the quotable lines from this play are said by Polonious, a character so incompetent and blissfully unaware he arguably out-stupids even Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. That's because people are stupid! MAEKS U THINK RIGHT?!!!!?!

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Godzilla (2014) - Still love this movie. Gareth Edwards did a terrific job linking it to the original 50's movie, creating its own identity but also being the first chapter in the MonsterVerse. I'm very much looking forward to Kong: Skull Island because of this :) The scale of many of the shots in this movie is a big reason why he was approached for Rogue One.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Love this one.

25. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Justice League - Dark

9/10

Good story centering on the magic/dark arts instead of just the usual space based/earth is in danger/Justice League big hitters in danger/all is saved trope.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.