main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Robocop 3: Definitely a step below it's predecessor (the first one really the second one is alright nothing great either but above this though). The lack of focus on our main character as well as a weak end for Nancy Allen and a weak story (which starts out as almost a completely different film with this resistance story with CCH Pounder which on it's own could have bene a cool fun post apocalyptic film but serves no purpose in a Robocop film) as well as action really bogs it down. Performances are fine but nothing great. Robert Burke is alright but he is no Peter Weller. Only becomes kind of fun for WTF factor at the end (where he gets the jetpack and what not). But overall it's best to be skipped. Then again I might change my tune when I see the remake but this is the weakest Robocop film for now.

V-2 likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Art of Getting By (2011)

Pretty dreadful teen romance mainly because of Freddie Highmore. He was a terrible child actor, and he's no different here playing an unlikeable/creepy character. His voice makes me want to punch his larynx 65,000 times.

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Seen quite a few recently...

T2: Trainspotting
    Surprisingly good. I was expecting lots of nostalgia/flashbacks and references to events in the first film, and they are certainly present, but the conceit to make that happen really worked (Spud, one of the secondary characters from Trainspotting is now starting to be a writer, writing about his experiences). It never crosses the line into schlock or cheap cash-in. There are a few moments when things seem a bit ropey (some ADR stuff sounded suddenly close mic'ed and out of place, the Irvine Welsh's cameo was a bit on the long side given his inability to act) but this is an outstanding sequel, and might even work as a standalone if you've not seen/read the first part.

Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders
    I was soooo looking forward to this, and it had its share of geek joy moments, but as a film it's all over the place... It seems to have been written as a sequence of short episodes, but then edited together to make a badly paced film (that's my theory, anyway). I loved all the puns, all the out of context quotes, I loved the idea of the Caped Crusader becoming the Dark Knight (I even loved some of the execution), but the dastardly criminal plot was lacking (even in the context of 60s Batman) and the overall plot seemed to be made up as it went along. Needed a lot more polished script and dynamic direction (it was slow compared to the pace of the actual TV show).

Doctor Strange
    I am not a Marvel fan, I am not a Benedict fanboy, and I am troubled by the prevalence of Caucasians in ethnic roles, the plot is full of cliches and archetypal shortcuts, but it's a stunning feast for the eyes and moves along at a good pace. Visually rewarding, less offensive plot than a Transformers movie.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  4. Starwarsfan9000

Feb 24, 2012
    Mad Max: An effective origin story for our title character. Is probably the least like it's sequels though which may throw new viewers off. But if you know going in it isn't about the car chases and quotable lines this time (which are still there don't get me wrong) you'll still enjoy it regardless.

5. Starwarsfan9000

Feb 24, 2012
    Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior: A film that builds on it's predecessor and is ultimately an entertaining film both in it's action and character moments. It does definitely feel like though you've entered a more post apocalyptic world different from the first one. Not to mention allowing everyone including Mel Gibson to speak in their native Australian accents makes the first film's dubbing all the more awkward. Considering the back story is recapped it is a wonder whether you should still see both films or just skip to this one? I still say see both to see the origin play out in full.

Sorry for the double post in advance. I posted my thoughts on Mad Max 1 earlier. I had thought someone else would have posted in here by then but I was wrong.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. Starwarsfan9000

Feb 24, 2012
    Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome: Has a fun first half (as well as fun performances particularly Tina Turner) and a decent ending but gets bogged down by it's slow second half. Really it does feel like two completely different films combined into one (which was the case apparently). It was if they said the first plot about the gladiator fight but then felt they didn't have enough material for a whole film so they added this stuff about kids searching for some kind of promise land. If you cut that out I think it could have been alright.

Again sorry for the double post in advance. Again posted those thoughts awhile ago.

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Arrival again ahead of the Oscars even though it won't win any. Really one if the great movies of 2016.

8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    GET OUT: One of those where I'm seeing the 100% RT score, and I'm not buying it. So as I'm watching I'm not seeing anything special accept good craftsmanship on Peele's part. I'm not seeing anything of real awe inspiring greatness.

But then it becomes a perfect example of how a little bit of something extra can change the experience entirely. In this case it's the twist of the film, and the ending. Saved the film for me.

I'd say the hype is overrated, but it is indeed a very good movie.

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Hacksaw Ridge - The first half ranges from laughably terrible to middle of the road. Second half is moderately entertaining.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Solomon Kane. A no-budget (man, the computer effects are cheap) historical-fantasy Robert E. Howard adaptation, it suggests the possibility of a good film drawn from the material, but it doesn't really have the chance to get there. It's too rote, too cheap, the kind of thing that's destined straight for the bargain bin and afternoon TV filler. That said, for that sort of thing, it's at least decent. Kane is an interesting figure, in this telling a soldier who undergoes a religious conversion and ends up quite literally fighting evil, battling the devil's servants. Our writer-director here doesn't seem to understand anything about Puritanism, unfortunately, but you can see the basis for something compelling in the character and setting. This, though, just isn't it, despite some decent action and a suitably growly performance from James Purefoy. It's passable if it's the kind of thing you're into -- it's only a budget and a script polish away from working -- but it's not going to excite anybody.

Juke Skywalker and Sarge like this.
  11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Hacksaw Ridge (2016) - from the previews I thought this would be terrible but I ended up liking it. The first quarter of the movie is a little weak but it really picks up as it goes on.

Manchester by the Sea (2016) - very good but the whole thing is very bleak, one of those that while I thought it was great I'll probably never watch again.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Kubo and the Two Strings Amazing art style, unique and creative characters and scenarios, but sadly hobbled by a rather conventional and predictable storyline.
    Pretty sure everyone guessed that Beetle was Hanzo and the kindly old man was the Moon King.
    Regardless, this film is a good antidote to the pathetic money-grubbing rut Pixar has gotten itself into. ("Hey guys, I got it! A sequel that repeats the themes and plot of the first movie!" "Brilliant!")

heels1785 likes this.
  13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Fences (2016) - good movie carried by outstanding performances by Washington and Davis.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Near Dark (1987) I still love the bar scene. The spur moment has been stuck in my memory for 25 years now. Rest in Peace Mr. Paxton.

Asplundhe and Juke Skywalker like this.
  15. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Next (2007)
    Really liked this movie. Nicholas Cage, Jessica Biel, and Julianne Moore are all great in it. Really makes you think. There’s some great ‘sleight of hands’. Super creative. Surprised it doesn’t have a higher rating. The short story it drew inspiration from seems really strange, and would’ve been nice to see a movie based on it.

5/5

Django Unchained (2012)
    Wow. This movie was excellent. Christoph Waltz steals the show, but Samuel L. Jackson’s character is very despicable. Leonardo DiCaprio really wasn’t in it that much. Loved seeing a unique twist on the Western genre. The action was great, the ‘surprises’ were great, very entertaining.

5/5

The Proposal (2009)
    Sandra Bullock is really good in it. Other then her, though, the movie is only average at best. The first half is pretty good, too, when they still hate each other.

3/5

Rylo Ken likes this.
  16. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The Magnificent Seven (2016) - Plot; Seven men come together to aid a small town held in the grip of an egomaniacal robber baron.

Like the original (itself a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai), this Seven has a star-studded cast, sweeping vistas and (in the credits at least) Elmer Bernstein's epic theme. Dramatically it has a little more meat on its bones than the original, but every beat is played out as expected, every character is exactly who we think they are and there are few (if any) surprises awaiting you. But it's all delivered handsomely, and charmingly, and in the end it's good, if not quite Magnificent. - 6.5/10

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Manchester by the Sea
    Jackie

feel good double feature

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I hope you pretended that everything Natalie Portman did in Jackie was because she had also just seen Manchester by the Sea.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    yes, because I did the same thing after seeing Manchester: moped around the house smoking cigarettes and drinking straight vodka, taking inventory of all the pills in the house and sobbing quietly in the shower.

Darth_Invidious and tom like this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    And, in a somewhat less common reaction, playing the theme from Camelot over and over.

Rylo Ken and Sarge like this.
  21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    This is Peak Ken.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    have to say the constant Camelot references in Jackie made it seem a bit more trite. Yes. We know. We get it. Camelot. Everyone from that era knew the trope. Everyone from my generation knew that trope. Everyone from every generation knows that trope.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Haven't seen this movie in years, forgot how good it was

wmu'14 and PCCViking like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Captain America - great origin story for a great character. Second half isn't all that it should be, though, Redskull isn't a very interesting villain, although Weaving did well with the material he had. Personally, I love the USO tour song & dance scenes; I'll probably have "Star-Spangled Man with the Plan" stuck in my head all night.

PCCViking likes this.
  25. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Ghostbusters 2016 - Seeing as how I originally watched it on internet bootleg, I decided to give it another chance as it was on one of the movie channels. Epix or something.
    That didn't help; it's still a forgettable turd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.