main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    The Founder-Well done and well acted story about the early days of McDonalds

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Rob Roy. An epic historical adventure, it boasts lovely landscape shots, a badass Liam Neeson brooding about honor, a great score, and a decent peppering of action. It also has three fantastic villains, which is a great strength. The late, great John Hurt is wonderful as the greedy noble to whom Rob Roy ends up in debt. Tim Roth is utterly hateable as his fey, psychopathic enforcer. And best of all is Brian Cox as the slimy factor whose bottom-feeding search for advantage starts the whole thing rolling. They make sure the film, which tends toward stoic and stately, has plenty of personality, and the whole thing is a good, solid, classic adventure.

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Rambo

Rambo continues the tradition of the series in its minimal plot and almost meticulous attention to spectacle. Although the violence almost knows no limits (even R rated films need to show some restraint so they're marketable), it is not entirely brain dead. The plot is minimal but unlike the second and third films there is a greater sense of Stallone's emotional investment. Not only is he a co-writer, but he is also the lead star and director. His sadness and concern for Burma is made abundantly clear through the graphic depictions of some of the violence against men, women and children along with portraying the futility of relying on kind hearted strangers (in this case, Christian missionaries) to resolve conflict.

By the end of the film, there is no questioning Stallone's outcry for the violence and suppression in Burma. The film is the most violent that the film franchise has to offer which includes close up frames of blood, severed limbs, entrails, and explosions of human flesh. Ultimately, while in Stallone's mind this is a film with brain and heart, it amounts to nothing more than a very gritty and entertaining ninety minutes not unlike the Dredd remake where the establishment, plot and closure was simple and tightly wrapped.

This is why it is easy to forgive Rambo for its flaws - it does its job as entertainment without allowing the politics to be neither too trivial or mind numbing. For that same reason, despite the poor establishment of the characters in the earliest parts of the film, it isn't hard to want to see the hero triumph, the innocent saved and the oppression brought to an end. But, what Rambo lacks in on screen substance is made up for what it did in reality - proceeds of the home release went toward Burma while Burmese freedom fighter's quote the film's words "Live for nothing, or die for something" as edification for their cause. How many simplistic action popcorn flicks do you know of legitimately attempt to make a difference?

4 out of 5

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

And it ends with the most realistic swordfight I've ever seen on screen.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    ...and one truly badass finishing move from Neeson.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The original will always be the best one for me, but I quite enjoyed this one too because it's so goddamned insane.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Passengers (2016) - Plot; During an interstellar flight to a new colony world, one of the ship's five thousand passengers is accidentally awakened early from sleep hibernation.

Most of the criticism surrounding Passengers centers around taking it to task for what it isn't, or for not being all that it could have been, and ultimately I agree. Instead of focusing on the moral and ethical dilemma of the choice made by Chris Pratt's character and its consequences, or acting as an exploration of loneliness and the human need for companionship, it instead grafts those themes onto a boilerplate romance. Pratt and co-star Jennifer Lawrence lift the material with strong performances and good chemistry and help to make Passengers a reasonably entertaining sci-fi/romantic/drama, but I can't help but feel that hidden deep within is a much better film. - 6.5/10

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I tried watching Passengers once, got bored and started watching something else. I might give it another shot one day.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I wouldn't bother.

10. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Last Tango in Paris. I found it to be very complelling, with Brando's acting in particular being excellent.

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Ghost in the Shell. Not as bad as I was expecting, but still average overall.

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    First Blood is definitely a better film in that it's more thought provoking, but Rambo definitely beats First Blood: Part II.

It's an especially impressive sequel because when we were first introduced to the Christian Missionaries, I didn't care for them and hoped they'd be killed off because of their jaw droopingly devotion to faith. I mean, not only do they refuse to turn around after being held at gunpoint by pirates, but one of them even says that they're going to report Rambo despite him having just saved their lives. I hated these characters at first - truly loathed them. This is coming from someone who is a non-practicing Roman Catholic.

But, by the end of the film, their "arcs" were enough to have won me over.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Free Fire: Funny and fun. A movie that knows what it is, and sticks to it.

as for Rambo movies, First Blood: Part 2 was a staple in my house growing up.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I also would recommend against giving Passengers another try. It's stupid.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  15. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Nobody understood the franchise from a directorial point of view in the same way as James Cameron. Although Terminator 2 may have been a bigger and far more polished film than its predecessor, it still had a dark grittiness to be found within the cyber thriller. Tonally and aesthetically, Terminator 3 eschews much of what made the first two films in the franchise which were directed by Cameron. T3 opens with forced, unfunny and unnecessary humour in the first half hour of the film. Then, any of the humour from that point and onwards is unintentional because of the cartoonish and almost slapstick action. This includes Schwarzenegger's terminator driving a speeding utility truck into Loken's terminator while a human being miraculously lies on the road beneath the wheels. Afterwards, a terminator firing a bazooka at another terminator, only for the recipient of the projectile to be literally sent flying. Then, there are the film's leads; Nick Stahl and Claire Daines. Both actors do not measure up to the acting talent of previous Terminator films.

Meanwhile, even the writing suffers with inane dialogue such as John Connor asking why the terminator does not remember him despite John having helped the previous terminator destroy himself. In all fairness to Terminator 3, this was the sequel that was born to fail; the story is nothing new while outside of some Matrix inspired moments, the action rarely delivers any thrills (though the downtown truck chase is good fun). But, surprisingly, the film does redeem itself in the end with a twist that is both unexpected and (most importantly) logical and true to the events which ought to flow from the events of the story. Given how nearly all of the film apes the structure and sequence of events of the two previous films, it seems obvious how the film will end. But, Terminator 3 does the unexpected at the last moment. That is what prevents Terminator 3 form being an outright disaster despite being the clear slump of the trilogy.

3 out of 5

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  16. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Warcraft-I'll preface this by saying I've never played a Warcraft game so maybe my take would be a litle different.

I thought this was pretty bad. I couldn't differentiate between who was who. Visually it looked good one moment and the next looked cheap. The story was just confusing to me. And the human actors did the best they could. Independence Day:Resurgence was still the worst movie from 2016 but this was darn close

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Warcraft was pretty damn stupid, but it had Clancy Brown so I can't hate it.

18. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Rush Hour (1998)
    Really liked this movie. Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker are hilarious, and the stunts are very creative. I recommend it.

5/5

Rush Hour 2 (2001)
    Dull, too much like the first one, not very funny. Average at best.

3/5

The Punisher (2004)
    Check out this movie if you’re interested in a darker spin on Marvel. A combo of Wolverine, Deadpool, and Batman. Saint’s death was epic. Shame a sequel was never made.

5/5

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    [​IMG]

Megaforce (1982) - Plot; A top secret, multi-national strike force is summoned to defend a small nation from invasion by its aggressive neighbor.

Debuting the same year as Hasbro's re-launched G.I. Joe (now dubbed A Real American Hero), Megaforce certainly seemed poised to be a smash hit. It was heavily advertised in comic books, offering kids a chance to join Megaforce via a mail-in fan club promotion (see above), there was a line of Hot Wheels (toy company Mattel is even credited with designing the movie's costumes) and even a game for the Atari 2600. But it was eviscerated by critics and only grossed around $5 million against a budget of $20 million. It was soon relegated to the wastelands of cable TV, where it became a staple for my generation.

Directed by Hal Needham (Smokey and the Bandit, Rad), Megaforce looks and feels very much what a live-action G.I. Joe film would have had it been made during that era. Given its timing and the sort of appeal that would seemingly have snagged dads and sons, it's a bit head scratching that it was such a massive flop (and subsequently no surprise that it found a second life on cable). To be sure it's not a film for the lactose intolerant, but if you're one who appreciates the era, the genre and their trappings, it's a helluva lot of fun. - 7/10

- Features a cheesetacular 80s rock anthem by 707.

Oh...

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Smokey and the Bandit has aged pretty well and was pretty fun, so I might have to check Megaforce out as well.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I Are The Internets having recentlyishly revisited Smokey and the Bandit I agree. It's not going to score you many points on your MENSA application, but it's fun.

Sarge likes this.
  22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks: Not too bad for an adaption of a novel.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I highly recommend the Director's Cut of Chronicles- though it loses a couple fun moments from the theatrical cut, the action is visually superior (less artificial zoom/shakiness to PG-13 it) and it goes full-on into the mythology whereas the theatrical cut pulls back on a few key subplots.

And if you want to complete the whole Riddick saga to this point, there's also the Escape From Butcher Bay video game (and its remake/expansion, Assault on Dark Athena) which is a prequel to the original film.

Juke Skywalker and rumsmuggler like this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Are you aware that this film contains a scene where in Detective Inspector Lee is attempting to discreetly infiltrate a Triad-controlled night club at the same moment that G-14 classified LAPD officier Chris Tucker was calling attention to himself with a rousing karaoke rendition of "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough?" This is basically the single greatest moment in American comedic film over the last decade.

25. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The2ndQuest Awesome. Thanks for the knowledge. I've seen Chronicles twice, but never the Director's Cut. And wasn't aware there was a video game (I see the cutscenes have been loaded onto YouTube).

Gotta give them (Twohy and Diesel) credit for their ambitious approach in TCOR. You hear "Pitch Black sequel" and you expect a rehash, not for it to morph into this sprawling space opera.

The2ndQuest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.