main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    But doesn't that make the third film disappointing for it's hard retreat back into safe territory? The second explicitly ended with the promise of him being King of the Evil-verse. But then, the next trailer points out--in the too-on-the-nose fashion that characterizes a lot of Diesel's work--"it seems like we've been here before." Indeed.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

And on top of that, they gave it a really cool noir baroque look.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I think there's something to that. Devil's advocate would say they just got back to basics. Reality may be that after TCOR underperformed (though it did extremely well on DVD) they had to scale back and simplify.

They did. They threw a lot against the wall in TCOR, and while not everything stuck, there is a lot to like and admire about it.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, TCOR had ambition if anything.

Riddick has a back-to-basics aspect to it, but the survivalist/creature feature angle is still part of the Riddick universe and TCOR didn't really use that as much (the Cremetoria sequence being the closest and, not surprisingly, the strongest part of the film). So having the next film focus on that more felt balanced.

It's clearly not the direction they intended to make when envisioning TCOR as a trilogy (with PB as an analogous Hobbit prelude) but it worked.

And supposedly the next film will still be heading towards the Underverse and getting revenge on Karl Urban, so the destination may still end up being the same even the journey is scaled back in scope more.

(It'll actually be interesting to see if the next sequel embraces the added material of the Director's Cut in terms of Riddick's destiny and abilities; given that it's titled TCOR: Furya, that seems quite posdible)

5. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The2ndQuest good call re: PB and The Hobbit. The small, seemingly simple and straightforward opener to a larger canvass and far more complex story.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Hopefully they will make another where Riddick finally finds Furya, and hopefully finds a few others like him and they wreak havoc on the Necromongers,

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I can't take credit for the comparison- that's the exact analogy Vin & co made when TCOR came out.

Clearly, Riddick wasn't the TTT follow-up to TCOR's FOTR but it was the necessary side-story needed to prove the franchise's continued viability, so maybe Furya will be TTT they had planned for.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

I actually saw this in a cinema.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And I played the vidya game. I seem to recall that it was kinda fun, by 1984 standards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I can't believe I've never seen or even heard of Megaforce. Those vehicles look familiar, though.

I need to watch Megaforce tonight.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't seen or heard of it either.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Mr. Holmes. Very good Sherlock Holmes film. Its not your typical Sherlockian outing, as there's no Watson, Mycroft, LeStrade or criminal genius for Holmes to thwart. There are little flashes of Holmes' old brilliance but for the most part, this is an aged, retired Holmes at the end of his life grappling the gradual onset of senility. The film portrays a very vulnerable Holmes struggling with his frailties, unlike what we're used to seeing in cinematic depictions of Sherlock Holmes, which tend range from Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett basically playing a Vulcan to Robert Downey Jr's animated insanity or Benedict Cumberbatch's high functioning sociopath. I also enjoyed the film's little nods to the Sherlockian mythos, like that the deer stalker hat was completely Watson's invention, that Holmes prefers cigars to a pipe or that that even though he's been retired and living seclusion for 30 years, people still write to him outlining their crazy Jack the Ripper theories.

PCCViking likes this.
  13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Free Fire. It's funny because people get hurt. A sadistically hilarious orgy of violence, it's got a wonderfully simple premise -- an arms deal goes bad, and a bunch of people end up trapped in an abandoned factory, shooting at each other, and it degenerates into a spiraling mess from there, getting bigger and zanier. The escalating insanity is so well handled. It gets a lot out of its great ensemble cast. Especial highlights are Sharlto Copley as a smarmy, conceited, overtalkative lowlife arms dealer, Cillian Murphy as the level-headed IRA buyer, and Jack Reynor as the nerdy-looking but hyperaggressive hairball who helps start the trouble. But it's Armie Hammer who steals the movie as the arrogant, detached, self-amused facilitator who seems to treat the entire bloody affair as a big joke for his entertainment, approaching it throughout with casual, lightly baked good humor. Wonderfully, darkly funny and fun. Highly recommended.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Harvey (1950) Jimmy Stewart's gentle charm keeps the over-the-top antics of the other characters from reducing the film to silliness. He's got the warmth and sincerity to give a real heart to what could have been just a zany farce.

soitscometothis likes this.
  15. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Yes, that part was actually one of the better parts.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What about the part where Chris Tucker looks out the window and goes "She isn't going to be in Rush Hour 3?"

This film has so many classic moments.

PCCViking and Point Given like this.
  17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The Founder. I knew very little about the history of McDonald's but this was rather eye opening. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Keaton was excellent, truly ruthless in this role.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2017
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I actually enjoyed Rush Hour 2 a little more than the first one. I liked the scene with Don Cheadle the best.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, it was clearly more of a "See! See! We can be responsible with the credit card mom and dad." type of exercise. Vin's box office clout outside of the Fast and the Furious franchise is a bit dubious (At least here at home. Abroad domestic flops like The Last Witch Hunter and XXX: The Return of Xander Cage did rather well), so they may not snag $150 million for it the way they did w/TCOR, but I'd wager they'll get an uptick from the rather modest $38-40 million they got to do Riddick; particularly if Diesel waves a large salary for a cut of the profits.

So you were the one :p. I'm actually surprised I didn't see it on the big screen myself. I vividly recall those ads in the comics I read, and it wouldn't have taken much to cajole my Dad into taking me to a movie w/fast cars and the lovely Persis Khambatta

Yeah, I actually did have the video game despite not seeing the movie until it hit cable. I chalk it up to the fact that it sorta coincided with the great video game crash in 1983, where toy stores were choked with a deluge of titles and spent the remainder of the Atari 2600's lifespan selling off many games for pennies on the dollar. My Dad and I would go to Children's Palace nearly every Saturday and they would have bins and bins of games, similar to the DVD/BluRay bins you see at Wal-Mart these days, just overflowing with second and third rate titles. By the time my Atari days were over we probably had well North of a hundred titles, and Megaforce was one of them.

Check out this commercial for it featuring none other than Bryan Cranston!

If you're a connoisseur of the genre and era--as I believe you are--I think you might enjoy it. If you get a chance to check it out sometime, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

As you can see, it had a marketing push and eventually found a second life (or perhaps a first life) on cable, but it still doesn't cast the widest of pop culture nets.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I LOVED CHILDREN'S PALACE!

It was the greatest toy store around. I remember the bins well.

Yeah, I watched it right away. It's exactly what I thought it would be, exactly what it sounded like. The kitted up vehicles (I remember something similar from Delta Force), the spandex outfits, the hilarious aerial romance during the skydive, oh man. The final battle is great. I was predicting just about everything that happened, and I loved all of it.

"Jump it! Jump it! Jump it! Come on, jump it!" *he jumps the tank* "HE JUMPED IT! LOL!"

You know it's coming, you know it's ridiculous, but it's just great, anyway.

When he took off on that motorcycle I just couldn't stop laughing. After watching it, I think this scene kickstarted latent memories of it. I'm getting the feeling I've seen it before, a long time ago. I'm getting the feeling I've laughed at it before. You'd think it would be impossible to forget, though.

And I can't believe they actually did this:

This is actually in the movie. I can't believe it.

Barry Bostwick in the lead kinda told me everything I needed to know. I was going to post some hilarious screencaps of him, but there are just too many and I'm sure you're familiar with them.

You can tell Bostwick was going for a sort of Chuck Norris look with the hair and beard. Because he's wearing those ridiculous spandex, we get a good look at his scrawny ass throughout the movie.

And hey, it's the guy from The Warriors. And Lt. Ilia! I like Star Trek: The Motion Picture and always have, but I know it's reputation, and it's kinda hilarious to think of her being far more embarrassed to be in some movie other than ST: TMP.

I saw that Megaforce has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. Those critics have no sense of humor.

It was directed by a former stuntman who directed Smokey and the Bandit and The Cannonball Run, and it shows. It's a stuntman's movie. To be fair to him, there are a few genuinely spectacular shots of action, some really nice wide angle shots.

anakinfansince1983

Do not watch this movie.

22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Star Trek Beyond - I really like what they've done with the new cast of Trek since they rebooted it and they again are the main strength of this film for me. The story seems a little more contained with less scope than the others and in a way reminded me of something like Insurrection, I'm not so sure that the seemingly cgi environment the film was set in worked complletey, but I have to say that despite that I enjoyed it. The addition of Jayla was a good one. I really liked the swarm idea for the villains ships and especially how they boarded the ships when they basically rammed them, I thought that was a very cool idea. In the end the main villain of the piece eventually worked, (if you suspend you belief on how he changed appearance), initially I thought he was going to be the weak link of the film as he seemed to have no motivation or backstory. Speaking of suspending belief, there is the plot convienience of the Federation starship that crashed there years ago was being made invisible to the villains by some kind of environment refracting device. But surely Krall would have known where it was? Anyway I think overall I'd give it a steady 7 /10.

Again though I ask myself what else can they do with these films? I don't know what the future holds for them.

23. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Children's Palace > Toys 'r Us

Yeah, it's nothing if not truth in advertising. It delivers exactly what's shown on the menu. A bit of a lost virtue.

Re: Delta Force, been a while since I've watched it, but I'd almost bet there were some vehicles repurposed for it. For sure the ending shares similarities, w/Chuck Norris trying to catch the fleeing plane on his motorcycle. His didn't fly of course, but then again he's Chuck Norris.

Hear, hear. You have to grade movies on a sort of sliding scale. It's perfectly acceptable to give a thumbs up to Schindler's List and Megaforce. You're not putting them on the same level, merely saying each hits the target they're aiming for.

Agreed. The crane shot of the Megaforce racing toward to plane is actually quite spectacular.

[face_laugh] I'll assume you know her tastes better than I and defer to your reccomendation.

On a completely different level of 80s cheese...

Miami Connection (1987) - Plot; Cocaine smuggling ninjas battle a rock band of taekwondo masters in the neon-soaked streets of Miami.

Nothing quite says "80s" like ninjas and cocaine, but rarely do we get them both together in the same film. Miami Connection is notorious for being one of the best "So bad it's good" films of all-time. Unearthed by the folks at Alamo Draft House in '09, it's since been restored and released to the public to many laughs and genuine critical acclaim.

The amateurish production values and cringe-worthy acting certainly make Miami Connection a hoot to watch, but what makes it sing is that at its core beats a sincerely earnest heart. On one side you have cocaine and ninjas and nonstop martial arts action with doses of gratuitous nudity thrown in for good measure, and then on the other you have this infectious enthusiasm from all involved that gives the entire affair a likeability often absent in the genre.

This is by no means great cinema, but it makes a promise of cocaine, rock 'n roll and ninjas and delivers in spades. - 7/10

- The film also has a gloriously cheesy 80s rock soundtrack, including ditties about friendship and a literal on the nose homage to coke swilling ninjas.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    LOL! Only in the 80s could a movie about a taekwondo rock band battling crack dealer ninjas actually be a thing. [face_laugh]

CT-867-5309 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ha I saw Miami Connection a couple of years ago, for me it is one of the better "so bad it's good" movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.