main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I watched It Follows again after more than a year of lending the disc to a friend.

It's so good I find it difficult to talk about without rambling too much. The fellows on the audio commentary pointed out a neat thing about the perceived references to so many good movies and their directors being so intuitive that it would have been impossible to have consciously constructed a film for that purpose AND have such a compelling story, look and feel of of its own.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Accidental DP due to ?????????????? with the server.(?)

Might as well make the most of it. Here's a shot from Halloween (which you will want to rewatch after It Follows)
    [​IMG]

CT1138 likes this.
  3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Transformers the Last Knight
    It's a pile of hot mess.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "The Case of the Curious Bride" on TCM. It's one of the Perry Mason movies made by WB in the 1930's, with Warren William as Mason. It's a good movie, but if you're only familiar with the Raymond Burr series, it's a real change of pace. And it has Errol Flynn, but only for a few moments.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We're the Millers (2013)

Painfully unfunny in every possible way, although Will Poulter steals every scene he's in. I hope he goes places because Son of Rambow is one of the best absurdist comedies of the 2000's.

Catch a Fire (2006)

Overlooked political thriller that sports two great performances from Derek Luke and Tim Robbins. Very well made.

The Change-Up (2011)

Gross out comedy starring Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman that flopped pretty badly (Green Lantern also came out that year) is actually not completely painful. The first half is excruciatingly awful, but the second half is...okay?

Changing Lanes (2002)

A really well made thriller sporting the talents of SLJ and Affleck (who's really good here) is not bang bang shoot em up but very talky. I quite enjoyed it.

Children of the Corn (1984)

Unintentionally hilarious and not scary one bit. All of the kid performances are awful.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I haven't seen Son of Rambow, but I also hope Poulter is bound for big things. With both DiCaprio & Hardy giving Oscar worthy performances, I thought he still gave a really great and memorable performance in The Revenant. That he was even able to register as a presence with those two leads acting their brains out is pretty incredible.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The Visit
    [​IMG]

In a word: Okay

The Visit was a campfire story to me. Nothing really scary or all that compelling, but it was worth watching as the performances by everyone involved were well done, as well as the weirdness. But I think the film undercuts itself by explaining the weirdness with simple explanations and thus losing some suspense and tension.

8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    A-Team (2010). On a technical standpoint the movie is garbage, but damn is it some fun garbage.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Baby Driver (2017)

A wicked fun thrill ride from the ever-imaginative mind of Edgar Wright. The movie successfully blends cool beats with crazy awesome driving and shootouts, syncing up in typical Wright fashion. Ansel Elgort is great as the quiet but enthusiastic Baby, really doing a great job to propel the film forward, with help from some great performances from Jamie Foxx, Jon Hamm, and Kevin Spacey. I don't quite think it's as good as some of Wright's other films, but it's still a blast and incredibly well-crafted.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    '22 Jump Street'

It had been a good while since I saw the first film but I thoughtit was fun. This one seems to think it's really clever by being self aware about it being a sequel that doesn't cover new ground. I suppose that being self aware about it is kind of funny but it's still a little lazy. It's essentially the same movie and the cast has enough good will to make it not a total waste of time

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Yoga Hosers. I heard that it was awful, so I wanted to see for myself. It's a shame because Kevin Smith used to make decent, watchable movies, but this film and Tusk were just plain terrible.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Edgar Wright's Baby Driver.

Oozes style and energy, even if the narrative is a bit more conventional than the robust filmmaking.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The Banger Sisters (2002)

Notable for being Goldie Hawn's last film for at least 15 years. Even if this were to be her last film (Snatched is ****ing dreadful) it's a pretty decent flick to go out on.

14. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Fargo

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Cars 3: I liked it better than Cars 2.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

My Neighbor Totoro (1988) – Hayao Miyazaki

This is the third Miyazaki film I’ve seen and I just fall more and more under his whimsical, wonderful worldview with each one. This movie shares a lot with the other movies I’ve seen. There’s almost nothing in the way of serious plot; instead the movie chooses to meander through everyday life with the magic underneath it all revealed. A father and his two daughters move into the countryside in order to be closer to the mother of the family who is recovering from a basically unspecified ailment at a local hospital. Once there, the youngest child discovers that the nearby woods contain a host of magical, wondrous creatures, that, in essence, the entire world that surrounds her is filled with magic and mystery. Miyazaki captures something really wonderful with his films. There’s just a whimsy and a childlike wonder to his movies that I really just haven’t managed to find anywhere else. The animation is, of course, wonderful and often extremely funny. The performances, particularly of the two young girls, are great. Noriko Hidaka is the older girl. Chika Sakamoto is the younger and between Sakamoto’s performance and the animation and the script I’m seriously wondering if this is maybe the best representation of real childhood on film. This movie has little in the way of plot momentum, but the energy is high and the good-natured vibe just pervades everything about it. The creatures are imaginative, beautiful and so much fun. Totoro is a blast but Catbus is some kind of astounding marvel. Next on the agenda, Dogbus? Because the world would be basically perfect if there were Catbuses & Dogbuses. This movie just really sent me out on a total high. Nothing like a Miyazaki masterpiece to feel your heart with joy and happiness and the wonderful, all too rare feeling that magic exists and maybe the doorway to that magical world of fun, adventure and love is hiding just around the next corner. 4 stars.

tl;dr – animated film from Miyazaki is filled with wonder & magic and will leave you feeling exuberant and joyful; brilliant in every way and I want a Catbus. 4 stars.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Doctor Who: The Return of Doctor Mysterio

18. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Transformers: the Last Knight
    Was the worst movie I have seen this year. Unbearable.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Baby Driver. Edgar Wright is one of the greatest directors working today. He doesn't just make uproariously fun films infused with his total love of movies -- he's a complete technical master of his craft. Baby Driver is a showcase for Wright's masterful editing and incredible use of sound. The sonic landscape of the movie is just as important and just as rich and overwhelming as the visuals. It's just a wildly entertaining love letter to movies. It doesn't let up from beginning to end, cycling through incredible action -- fluid and creative, this is just as good an action movie as this year's John Wick 2, if less bloody -- comedy, and quiet moments of brilliant little cinematic digressions. It's not just a technical showcase, either, as it features great performances. Ansel Elgort should get a much higher profile after this -- his reserved protagonist is totally charming and compelling without a lot of dialogue or showy scenes, just fantastic use of his body. Lily James plays off him really well and you buy their instant chemistry totally. The film has great fun with Kevin Spacey as a fount of old-fashioned patter, a subdued, self-amused showman. It also does a great job of exploiting the typical crime-boss mix of menace and paternalism in unexpected ways. And Jon Hamm is outstanding as a hardened criminal who seems much more affable and human than Jamie Foxx's robber, who likes to brag about being an unstable, violent psycho, but maybe just as dangerous underneath. There's also a lot to be said for Eliza Gonzalez as Hamm's wife, who seems the most normal of them all except when her inner thrill killer comes through. It's just outstanding from beginning to end, another masterwork from Wright, and the best movie I've seen this year.

decraniated likes this.
  20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Starcrash (1978) - another one from the new season of MST3k, and it's got the Hoff in it! Actually found the movie pretty entertaining in it's terribleness and the guys do a great job riffing on it. The robot in it is a legitimately awesome character and deserved a better movie. The thing I liked the best about it is that it was clearly made to cash in off of the Star Wars hype and they didn't even try to hide this fact:

[​IMG]

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    ^A JCC Movie Night classic.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Gold (2016)

Besides Mathew's committed performance (and he is really good), there's nothing else here.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    An American Werewolf in London (1981) - Plot; Two young Americans backpacking across Europe are attacked by a creature, leaving one of them dead and the other irrevocably changed.

Despite its lofty status (and the fact it ran on a loop on TV in the 80s), I'd somehow managed to never watch An American Werewolf in London. For sure horror isn't my favorite genre, but I knew of its comedic counterweight and that's a combination that would seemingly appeal to me. 36 years later, on a recommendation from the great 80s All Over podcast, I finally gave it a go. I'm glad I did.

Deftly balancing the horror with the comedy, Landis uses one to enhance the other. It's a very fine line, and he and his cast walk it expertly. The script is snappy and there's no wasted motion in its tight hour and a half runtime. The cast all acquit themselves well, with David Naughton making for a likeable and sympathetic lead, the impossibly beautiful Jenny Agutter breathing life into what could've been a thankless role, and Griffin Dunne stealing every scene he's in as Naughton's undead best friend.

The end feels a bit too sudden, but I was both surprised and impressed by the direction Landis went and it gives the film a weight and poignancy.

I love it when I'm rewarded for going back and watching an older film that I'd previously ignored or otherwise missed. This may have been the first time, but it won't be the last, that I watch An American Werewolf in London. - 7/10

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I first saw American Werewolf a couple of years ago now at a local theater that was doing a month of horror classics in celebration of Halloween. Absolutely loved it and agree with you completely, though I think that shocking ending is one of the best things about it. That final shot is just so bleak and then the credits just kick off with that high-energy Blue Moon number and I was just left reeling. That moment is just amazing and, I think, makes the ending somehow all the darker. But, yeah, it's quite a movie. Special effects are great, that scene down in the London Tube is terrifying . . . it's just a great flick.

25. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm surprised the ending caught me off guard. It's foreshadowed pretty clearly. There's no scientist or witchdoctor running around w/a cure. We're told time and again what his only way out is. I suppose like Naughton's character, I was just reluctant to believe it.

Agree %100 about the scene in the tube. The slightly fish-eyed look gives it a real hunter/hunted feel. But in the spirit of the movie, it's followed shortly afterward by a scene w/his victims gathered in an adult cinema [face_laugh].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.