main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah, don't worry, you're definitely not the only person who didn't enjoy it. I went with a group of my family and we were all bored out of our minds. It's not that I didn't get the film, it's that I didn't care about what the film was trying to achieve. This film reminded me of Mad Max: Fury Road, as both looked stunning from start to finish, and both lacked in the story department big time and pretty much ended where they started with little being achieved, but at least Mad Max was exciting as hell to watch. I also loved Villanueve's last film, Arrival, mostly because of how interesting it was, and had me hooked from start to finish. 2049 needed to lose about 40 minutes and add some more depth to the story. A bit of action wouldn't hurt either.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It would be difficult for me to mount any kind of defense or case for the movie to someone who hasn't liked any of Villeneuve's movies. I just got back from Blade Runner 2049 and this makes the fifth of his films that I've seen (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival & now this one) and I've given all five of those four stars. I have loved just about every second of all five of his movies; if you're not connecting with any of them, I think our tastes in movies are so radically different that I don't even know how to start crafting an argument. Um, Sylvia Hoeks, maybe? :p

Darth_Invidious and Bacon164 like this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It would be difficult for me to mount any kind of defense or case for the movie to someone who hasn't liked any of Villeneuve's movies. I just got back from Blade Runner 2049 and this makes the fifth of his films that I've seen (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival & now this one) and I've given all five of those four stars. I have loved just about every second of all five of his movies; if you're not connecting with any of them, I think our tastes in movies are so radically different that I don't even know how to start crafting an argument. Um, Sylvia Hoeks, maybe? :p

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Oh, that's right, he did Enemy and Sicario as well. I also didn't like those. I'm surprised I liked Arrival so much then. Despite him being one of least favourite directors, I'm still interested in seeing Prisoners.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Prisoners is so emotionally intense/distyrbing- I think it’s very different from his other films in that regard (though I haven’t seen them all). There’s definitely some similarities I suppose but it’s not as quiet a film as BR2 or Arrival and has a stronger throughline on the plot. It was one of my favorite films that year.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Prisoners is so emotionally intense/distyrbing- I think it’s very different from his other films in that regard (though I haven’t seen them all). There’s definitely some similarities I suppose but it’s not as quiet a film as BR2 or Arrival and has a stronger throughline on the plot. It was one of my favorite films that year.

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    My Favorite Spy (1951)
    This is a Bob Hope vehicle. I used to like the Road to... movies when I was younger, so I thought I'd watch this as the closest I could get on Netflix. It's not as good... Hope could do with Crosby as a foil to balance him out here; however I found it just amusing enough to stick with it to the end. Hedy Lamarr is his co-star here and adds a little class (when she can wrestle the screen away from Hope - I understand he had many of her scenes cut out of the picture so he could dominate).

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  8. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Arabesque. Stanley Donen's attempt to recapture the success of Charade, with Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren taking the place of Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. The plot is a little incoherent but the film is so much fun that it doesn't really matter.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm not looking for a defense. Just trying to get across the point that a movie can be good but not for everyone, which is something a lot of tightly wound Blade Runner fans can't seem to comprehend. "Blade Runner bombed = moviegoers are stupid" is an argument I've seen way too much of.

Just because I didn't connect with the movies emotionally doesn't necessarily mean I disliked them. Arrival is the one I did walk out of thinking it was great. Sicario I thought was good, same with Prisoners. I guess I just find them... emotionally shallow? Like I have no connection to the characters. I don't know. Hard to explain. But I didn't mean to infer that I outright dislike the director, the guy's obviously got a hell of an eye.

Now hold on a minute, Fury Road is a masterpiece and one of my all time favorite movies, so I cannot follow you on that Blade Runner comparison. :p

10. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    You're right, it is amazing! I'm just talking about the lack of story and how Fury Road handled it much better than Blade Runner.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) – Jon Watts

I’m nothing without the suit.

If you’re nothing without the suit, then you shouldn’t have it.

I really enjoyed the Spider-Man material in Captain America: Civil War, so I was kind of surprised to feel myself getting less and less interested in Homecoming as it approached. I saw it pretty late (last Marvel movie I went to on opening weekend was Doctor Strange and we all know how THAT turned out; Dormammu, I’ve come to bargain indeed) and despite some serious flaws, I’m mostly positive on the film. Holland is good as was to be expected after Civil War; his exuberance never really flags and it’s kind of amazing that he keeps it up for two hours with it only occasionally getting a little wearying. Downey Jr. brings a lot of charm to his role, but also a serious responsibility; I’ve heard people say he’s coasting here – I don’t think I’d agree. I’m comfortable calling Jacob Batalon’s performance as Peter’s friend, Ned, absolutely star-making, though I rather doubt Hollywood will see it that way. Michael Keaton is really, really good in his role; he brings a working class edge to his blunt character but also a conman’s smarts about how to play that part most to his benefit. He’s a guy who makes speeches about being working class and screwed over by the wealthy while living in a house about thirty times the size of Peter’s apartment and we’re never quite sure whether he actually believes his own BS or if he’s just slinging it to keep other people off balance. Jennifer Connelly deserves a mention for managing to build real rapport and chemistry with Holland as the voice of the new spider-suit, Karen. The Peter-Karen relationship is really witty and charming. The rest of the cast is really good all the way down: Zendaya, Martin Starr, Tony Revolori, Bokeem Woodbine, Donald Glover, Jon Favreau, Marisa Tomei, Logan Marshall Green, Angourie Rice . . . these are all perfectly pitched performances. And kudos to Chris Evans for giving his hokiest performance as Captain America in a series of genuinely laugh-out-loud funny PSA type videos and to the movie for giving us the best post-credits scene in ages. It’s really canny of the movie to bring both Tony Stark & Captain America back in pretty endearing roles. The Team Cap-Team Iron Man stuff got surprisingly heavy when Civil War came out, mostly because I think most audience members were shocked at just how emotionally dark Civil War got. Using them both here in a likable way is a nice way to get audiences feeling friendly toward both of them again; it’ll be interesting to see the two meet on screen again, but at the moment, I think it’s actually kind of important to make sure audience members don’t carry any hard feelings and I think this movie really nails that.

As for the less stellar things, I think probably the biggest problem in the film is that Watts, mostly an indie director, doesn’t know how to stage complicated action sequences or at least fight sequences. None of the fights work and they build to a really unpleasant battle on and around an airplane that is chaotic, incomprehensible and every bit as ugly as the Doomsday fight in BvS. The character stuff is always great in these movies, but the action sequences are still important and this movie whiffs on all of them. The only exception is an action sequence that isn’t a fight and that’s the sequence at the Washington Monument. It’s a nice way of exploring Peter’s weaknesses (just because you can climb walls doesn’t mean you can climb walls THAT high) and it’s genuinely vertigo-inducing. It’s really the only time in the film that I felt any actual danger; it really worked the fear of heights angle and had my heart pumping. It’s worth noting again that this sequence is really simple, so Watts can handle it. The film is absolutely too long at well over two hours, but all things considered, it’s a fun romp that re-establishes the reasons why the Spider-Man character is so enduring and there are definitely a lot of nice character touches and scenes. It’s neither, as many people have been saying, the best Spider-Man movie or the best MCU movie; it’s a solid, if mostly unremarkable, entry in the MCU. I guess they can’t all be great, not at the pace the studio’s churning them out, but one would hope they would be really good and this one doesn’t quite crack that even, but it’s a fun diversion while waiting for the next great one. 3 stars.

tl;dr – Spider-Man is back and plenty of fun with a load of great performances; direction is pretty sloppy however and, good as it is, it could have been a lot better. 3 stars.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Huh- it never occurred to me that SMH, being the first real post-Civil War movie (Strange's timeline is hazy), has both Cap (after a fashion) and Iron Man in it. That's pretty interesting.

13. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    mother! 2017. It's a movie that is very over the top, almost completely crazy, yet also a very straightforward allegory. Not perfect by any means but I was impressed by it.

14. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) - a huge improvement over 2 and my favorite of the sequels. It brings back Nancy and gives us Kristen and some other good characters and expands the mythology of the series, setting up the future movies unlike it's predecessor.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) - a solid follow up to 3, though it's too bad Arquette didn't return as Kristen. This one probably has my favorite Freddy kill scene in it, or at least the one that stuck out to me the most watching as a kid (the roach motel scene). Also Alice is a solid character in this one (and who would be wasted in the next film).

15. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    Amityville II: The Possession. Much better than the first in my opinion.

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The Big Sick

Immediately after I watched this all I could think was this movie was everything that Funny People failed to be, funny hearfelt, well-written, dramatic at points. Kumail Nanjiani has been on a hot streak lately and this continues that, both in acting and his screenplay. All of the other performances were really good as well, especially Zoe Kazan.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015

I didn't really like it either. The story was just not interesting to me at all. It's a shame because I really liked the first Blade Runner and Villanueve's previous film Arrival.

Reynar_Tedros and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  18. The Krynoid Man

Dec 24, 2015
    Double post, please delete

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ESB:SE Still the best of the SE's. I don't care to see more of the wampa; the unseen monster is scarier, like the early scenes in Jaws. I miss "You're lucky you don't taste good" and "Bring my shuttle." Fett's original voice was much more threatening. But I do love the way Cloud City is opened up. It really looks like a city in the clouds, not just closed sets painted white.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I’m mixed on the sets, but only a little. Opening Cloud City up is a nice visual, but the white corridors do have a stronger 70’s sci-if vibe that fits with the art and architecture style of Cloud City’s interior.

Also it does seem a little odd that the heroes are mostly running around the outside of buildings and past every veranda instead of taking more direct routes

But by far the least problematic alteration. I agree with the rest of your comments, but you forgot to mention the terrible Executor landing scene (you do mention Bring My Shuttle, but it’s the later scenes that are most offensive) which kills the entire building momentum of Williams music. They could have left it at the shuttle approach shot and been fine...

21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Wonder Woman I'm not a massive fan of the super hero films by any stretch, the majority are average at best, but this one I really enjoyed. Easily my favourite since Iron Man or Dark Knight. I liked the WWI setting, the characters had chemistry together, the action was good, the age old 'fish out of water' aspect of the story was well done, the humour worked and both the leads were excellent in their roles, in particular Gal Gadot who dominates her scenes not just in how she looks but she really convinces as WW, and she carries on from where she left off in the terrible Batman v Superman as arguably the best thing in that. The end CGI fest is a given for any comic book movie and I can take it or leave it, but this one wasn't so bad. It was certainly helped by the emotional aspect of the ending too. Overall very enjoyabel and I'd definitely look forward to a sequel.

22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Cripes...what do you mean I have to rent this to see more of Evan's Cap?!? :rolleyes: :D (Not a Spider-Man fan, but I'll probably rent now that there's Cap stuff in this and I'm curious about Keaton's role.)

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Master_Lok No, it's a tiny cameo (like
    a public service announcement
    )

24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

^:)^ Thanks for the info.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The Lego Batman Movie.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  26. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

It's more like 3 or 4 cameos IIRC, and they're pure gold IMO. Don't turn it off until the last end credits come to a full and complete stop.

Grievousdude likes this.
  27. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Cap's cameos were gold! So funny.

28. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I would have preferred that the exact nature of his role in the film not be spoiled, but, yeah, they're great. Best post-credits scene in a very, very long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.