main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Looper. Not the masterpiece I was hoping for, but damn fine nonetheless.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, and they even handwave his motivation even after Neeson directly says that the villain's son took his daughter. The bad guy basically says "That doesn't matter because I'm a bad guy" for all intents and purposes. They could have tried to justify the villain's motivation to make him more sympathetic/interesting but just ignored the possibility.

3. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    A Very Long Engagement

This was the second time I've watched this movie. The next time I want to watch it I'm going to buy it.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Freddy Vs Jason

Now, I am gonna work through the night to catch up on some missed hours while re-watching/listening to the same film, but with the commentary track running.

5. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Dark Knight Rises for x5 x6 on monday ooo I love me some second run baby

6. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Dark Knight Rises for x5

DAGNABIT WHAT THE GLITCH COMPUTRON

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia). Featuring Jet Li as the titular Huo Yuan Jia, this film is a biopic of sorts, based on true events. The fight scenes are exaggerated with wires, but not stylized to the extent of the likes of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. They are intense and highly kinetic. You are in for a visual treat as the film features many of them, and they are well choreographed. One of them, I found to go a little overboard compared to the others, but to each his own. Jet Li is obviously not from an acting background and that is apparent, but his performance is not distracting. He still manages to carry the film, IMO.

4 out of 5.

Darth_Deception likes this.
  8. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Do The Right Thing

Still my favorite Spike Lee Joint.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I had to watch Do The Right Thing for a Intro to Film class in university. It was really good movie.

10. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Seven Psychopaths

Not sure what to think about this one. It was pretty good at times, not so good at others. Very gory, which I didn't expect. Very dry humor, though, and lots of great obscure movie references. I kinda want to see it again to see if I can pick up anymore references I missed the first time through, but on the other hand, I don't see much of a need to see this movie again from a general perspective.

11. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Highlander (not for the first time) for the first time in a long long time!

How did Ramirez survive to be in the second one? Off to Google for me!

12. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    American Graffiti

I can't believe I haven't watched this before now.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

It was certainly a fun movie, lots of spectacle and good voice acting. If you like the other two you will undoubtedly like this one, the 3D was decent also.

My only real problem with the movie is the message it sends out. Animal circuses are all but obsolete now for good reason, they were on the whole cruel institutions with no regard for the happiness of the animals which they kept. Making the circus out to be great when it is solely animals-only, and given the decision of the main characters at the end of the movie, is promoting an outdated unwanted thing which no longer has a place in the world.
    That and the fact that the main animals are obsessed with going back to the Zoo instead of remaining free in Africa. What kind of message is that? I'm all for zoos because they do an important job, but they should never ever be championed as a place animals should be if they can live wild and free as intended.

I'm not sure if the film-makers had an agenda or were being paid by the wrong people, but on the whole the movie was pretty good.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The Social Network

[​IMG]

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm watching Rock of Ages right now. I'm not really sure why, it's worse than Mary Poppins.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    How could any movie that featured "Pour Some Sugar on Me" in its trailer be bad?

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The trailer was totally misleading.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Ok, the Russell Brand / Alec Baldwin duet totally made the film worth watching.

Darthkat76 likes this.
  19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Looper. So good.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yesterday I saw Taken 2 and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Both were good.

21. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Taken 2. It wasn't great, but it was entertaining...a good action flick.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Prometheus. It wasn't as bad as people had made out, though the plot holes were ridiculous.

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Audition, wow didn't know what hit me with this one. It is all about build up and it is done so well but the build up is to a really extremely grisly torture sequence. I kind of dug a lot of it but it really requires a major suspension of belief for it's grim final act

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Ginger Snaps. This had to have been in proximity of the 60th-70th time I have viewed it and will most assuredly go unrivaled as my favorite werewolf film of all time.

25. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The Kite Runner. Highly recommended. A 5 out of 5 from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.